2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficulty in trying to re-negotiate for more games is that Vancouver (or rather the BC provincial government) pulled out of the bid (which the CSA only found out about at the last minute, apparently) so there's only so many more games we can realistically hold with just 3 venues.

13 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I don't see how that would work against us as long as the message is framed positively like I said above, something like:

"it would be a great idea... or It would be a fantastic idea..."

"The game in Canada would grow even better if young players would be able to go see a quarter-final or semi-final...

"It would be fantastic to show a great United bid by having the top 3 games "semis and finals" in all 3 nations"

I agree with you that if we send them angry feedback on greedy Americans and making demands, that's a different story.

As for Mexico deserving more than us, I'd like to think that for a nation with no domestic leagues that broke attendance records for minor world cups and what we still bring to the table (ticket sales in Brazil by Canadians, viewership, CCL media attention etc..) I think we proved ourselves. We're an untapped market for FIFA that happens to be this planet's 10th economy... FIFA recognize that.

A positive campaign can only help us get the most out of this World Cup. I can live with 10 games but we should have at least:

• 1 Semi-Finals games
  • 1 Quarter-Finals games
  • 2 Round of 16 games

I don't buy the argument it's just easier to have playoffs in the States. Last time I checked, a NY-Montreal flight was faster than NY-Los Angeles.

What I am saying is, that if it is open to negotiation, why assume the only negotiation is more games for us. 

3 minutes ago, admin said:

What I am saying is, that if it is open to negotiation, why assume the only negotiation is more games for us. 

I'd love Mexico to get more games to. 40-20-20 or minimum 50-15-15 makes sense.

15 minutes ago, Rheo said:

This is cool, TSN Hamilton had CSA VP Nick Bontis on right after the annoucement https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/bontis-canada-has-a-brand-new-respect-as-a-football-nation-1.1111506

It really is worth giving this a listen, some real excitement from Nick after the FIFA decision, he  feels Davies helped sway the vote and expects us to get automatic qualification but we probably won't know for at least 2 years!

58 minutes ago, spinrack said:

Are you sure about this?  I was under the impression that no elimination games will be played outside the US.

But I would be very happy to hear that I'm wrong.

From today's news. https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-wins-vote-co-host-2026-fifa-world-cup-u-s-mexico/ 

"The “United Bid” calls for the U.S. to host 60 matches, including all games from the quarter-finals through to the final. Canada and Mexico would each host 10 games."

And back when it was first announced. https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/04/10/2026-world-cup-usa-mexico-canada-host-bid

"Gulati added that all matches from the quarterfinals forward would take place in the United States, under the current agreement between the three nations."

Unless there has been a change that I have missed, and that Sportsnet has missed, and the wiki article on the bid has missed, they have always left open the possibility of Canada and Mexico hosting round of 32 and round of 16 knockout games. Also, with regards to the host nations getting a spot, the official word has always been that it will be decided later if all host nations will get an automatic spot. I think what people are remembering is people tied to the bid saying things like "that's up to FIFA, but we expect to be getting an automatic spot" or "the World Cup host nations have always been given an automatic spot".

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

That's up to FIFA, that's my point. There's no negotiations, FIFA has last say, hence my point in positively lobbying

And FIFA's incentive is?  Unless the Voyageurs want to back a Brinks truck full of unmarked Swiss Francs into their Zurich offices, no chance.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that we get to 12 and honestly, I think that's our ceiling.

3 group stage games for 3 cities = 9

2 round of 32 games to ensure Canada plays at home pending (1st or 2nd place group finish)

1 Round of 16 game to ensure Canada plays at home.

From then on, I could see our side of the bracket being border cities but that's as close as it gets.  

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

And FIFA's incentive is? 

None if everyone stays quiet. Silence=compliance.

Voicing our interest could sway them to add 1 or 2. Even just 1 or 2 extra is a win to me... better than to keep quiet

31 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm guessing there won't be a hex for 2026 qualifying, since CONCACAF will have 6 spots for the new 48 team format of the World Cup :)

Oh yeah, nice point!

So then... let all three host nations automatically qualify and keep the existing format (including the hex) for 2026 qualification of the remaining CONCACAF teams.

For 2030 and beyond, simply remove the hex, or else use an entirely new qualification format.

10 minutes ago, Califax said:

I think it's reasonable to suggest that we get to 12 and honestly, I think that's our ceiling.

3 group stage games for 3 cities = 9

2 round of 32 games to ensure Canada plays at home pending (1st or 2nd place group finish)

1 Round of 16 game to ensure Canada plays at home.

From then on, I could see our side of the bracket being border cities but that's as close as it gets.  

1 round of 16 game wouldn't be enough to ensure Canada plays at home if they are to make it that far. That would be a badly drawn up bracket. Imagine for a second Germany and Argentina are in the same group of 3 (top teams will be separated of course, but bare with me). They advance as the top 2 teams in the group. They both win their round of 32 games. Does it make sense for them to play each other in the round of 16? Nope, they will be put on opposite sides of the bracket so that the only way they will meet again is in the final.

So you would have to give Canada at minimum 2 round of 32 and 2 round of 16 matches to ensure Canada hosts itself for those knockout rounds.

Incredible for Canadian soccer. We should all be extremely happy at this point. I am sure we will get 10 games spread across Edmonton Toronto and Montreal and I am sure Canada will get automatic qualification. After that, everything else is a bonus

This is fantastic news and we have 8 years to prepare for this. I am already picturing Alphonso Davies and  Millar combining for some goals in 2026

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

1 round of 16 game wouldn't be enough to ensure Canada plays at home if they are to make it that far. That would be a badly drawn up bracket. Imagine for a second Germany and Argentina are in the same group of 3 (top teams will be separated of course, but bare with me). They advance as the top 2 teams in the group. They both win their round of 32 games. Does it make sense for them to play each other in the round of 16? Nope, they will be put on opposite sides of the bracket so that the only way they will meet again is in the final.

So you would have to give Canada at minimum 2 round of 32 and 2 round of 16 matches to ensure Canada hosts itself for those knockout rounds.

Excellent point. 

Unless of course venues are dependent on winners for host nations. Probably not likely, but in this situation it's not unreasonable to suggest. They have changed a lot regarding the format.

We shall see!

57 minutes ago, Rheo said:

This is cool, TSN Hamilton had CSA VP Nick Bontis on right after the annoucement https://www.tsn.ca/radio/hamilton-1150/bontis-canada-has-a-brand-new-respect-as-a-football-nation-1.1111506

Ha no way! I am a McMaster graduate in Commerce from about 10 years ago and he was running the faculty. 

I got to play intramural soccer with him. Uber-competitive and a good player as well. Super high energy guy; always very kind and positive. Didn't even realize he was the VP of the CSA. 

I can't believe the news! I remember when I went to the U20 world cup in 2007 with my father and falling in love with international soccer and the pride these players had representing their! I highly recommend everyone on this forum buy tickets for this event as obviously this is a once in a life time opportunity to watch Canada host the WORLD CUP... on a lighter side, atleast we don't have to worry about the hex in the 2026 qualifying;)

Not sure if this is the correct assumption, but I'm assuming our current 10 game allotment is the group stage for 3 groups (9 matches), plus our own round of 32 match. I assume any further advancement would be played in the US.

Maybe when allocating the round of 32 cities, they might do a placeholder like Toronto or Boston for 1st place in our group, Toronto or Boston for 2nd place in our group, and whichever spot we finish in after the group stage, we get our own round of 32 match, while the other goes to Boston (just as an example). 

Archived