2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, ted said:

That is simply childish, petty name-calling.

BC as a whole, and John Horgan and his government, know very well what this tournament would mean. I've talked to the Minister of Education in the stands at Highlanders games FFS and the excitement of the two previous world cups (youth and women's) and the benefits were quite well known.

I don't agree with their decision because as a fan I'm happy to commit to obscene amounts of government money to get the World Cup here, but as a rational BC taxpayer I accept that it was a reasonable decision.

Silly insults from Mont Vic are pathetic are unnecessary. 

I have been reading a lot of this. How can you say that with any certainty? A proper economic discussion looks at not just the costs but the benefits as well. How can you say it was a reasonable decision when the costs have not even been finalized yet?

Guest Tg11
4 minutes ago, masster said:

I have been reading a lot of this. How can you say that with any certainty? A proper economic discussion looks at not just the costs but the benefits as well. How can you say it was a reasonable decision when the costs have not even been finalized yet?

Well BC Place attendance wise would have made sense economically because Vancouver is one of the richest cities in Canada economically and not to mention BC Place more or less is a "soccer stadium" in terms of size and width but also in terms of fan atmosphere as it rivals the 3 cities of Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton. All I have to do is bring up the FIFA Women's World Cup to support that. 

Furthermore, definitely a missed opportunity for Vancouver to not even be a host city.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:04 AM, shorty said:

Disappointing if true. Here's the political context for the non-BCers here, though:  Horgan and the NDP have the most fragile of all possible governments supported by three Green MLAs where one seat flipped or one issue the Greens don't like might bring it down. Despite the BCLiberals having a poor financial track record, they still win the popular narrative for being sound financial managers over the NDP who wear several albatrosses around their necks from the 1990s. Even if Horgan had done better due diligence (which sure would have been nice), I think this was always going to be a no-win situation for the government regardless -- say yes and the Green and NDP base is largely upset because it's tone-deaf from a social justice perspective to spend millions on a party that benefits Coca-Cola and rich corrupt FIFA officials more than anyone; say no and the political right beats the drum that the NDP doesn't understand business opportunities and can't be trusted with financial decisions. 

Interesting enough, I noticed that the Canadian Taxpayers Federation is against Calgary hosting the Winter Olympics again and argues that it isn't the business opportunity it has been made out to be.  (I haven't been able to find their opinion of this United World Cup Bid).

I think it's incredibly difficult to get definitive fiscal transparency on hosting  major sporting events.  The passion of the heart seems to rule over all else in these situations.  As a fan, I would have loved to see Vancouver host some World Cup games but in the back of my mind I also get the feeling that the fan base here would have been shafted  with lower profile match ups in the three game allotment plus no CMNT match. 

Guest Tg11
10 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Interesting enough, I noticed that the Canadian Taxpayers Federation is against Calgary hosting the Winter Olympics again and argues that it isn't the business opportunity it has been made out to be.  (I haven't been able to find their opinion of this United World Cup Bid).

I think it's incredibly difficult to get definitive fiscal transparency on hosting  major sporting events.  The passion of the heart seems to rule over all else in these situations.  As a fan, I would have loved to see Vancouver host some World Cup games but in the back of my mind I also get the feeling that the fan base here would have been shafted  with lower profile match ups in the three game allotment plus no CMNT match. 

I guess that makes sense

21 hours ago, masster said:

OK, since this is actually related to the bid itself...

There was no decision made on the part of the Province of British Columbia. The Province of British Columbia was trying to have that discussion in good faith and FIFA/Bid Committee simply ignored the reasonable request for information. The only "decision" to be questioned here is the decision of the Bid Committee. 

If you want to rent a house for a party and I agree to pay for that rental, I get to know, at least approximately, what that will cost. Not a hard concept, yet one that apparently is written in Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs for some.

39 minutes ago, ted said:

OK, since this is actually related to the bid itself...

There was no decision made on the part of the Province of British Columbia. The Province of British Columbia was trying to have that discussion in good faith and FIFA/Bid Committee simply ignored the reasonable request for information. The only "decision" to be questioned here is the decision of the Bid Committee. 

If you want to rent a house for a party and I agree to pay for that rental, I get to know, at least approximately, what that will cost. Not a hard concept, yet one that apparently is written in Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs for some.

I don't see good faith on the part of the province. To state the the costs were unknown, unquantifiable and that a 'blank cheque' was required, was a total cop out intended to cast blame upon FIFA rather than standing behind the policy decision they made (and which they were perfectly entitled to make). Had they so desired, even the NDP government could have been easily estimated the costs based on a number of scenarios using past experience and events elsewhere.  I would have much preferred they simply stated that we value [a,b and c] and have chosen to prioritize the use of hardworking taxpayer's money for these things. Instead we got a bunch of nonsense and spin.   

Archived