2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Discussion on what the World Cup will mean for Canada with Tony Meola, including some CPL 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/lede-hosting-world-cup-mean-canadian-soccer/

Canada is in a state where it is similar to how US soccer was back in the early to mid 90s...not for lack of trying to evolve because Canada has tried and keep trying. Canada do have a decent side not all the way elite like USA or Mexico but can Canada get there? Yes the talent is there but all it comes down to is developing the younger guys more. If Canada can do that then I think they will be all right but also do they have that mental toughness, that psychological toughness needed to compete against CONCACAF's best not only now but 8 years from now?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

If Canada can do that then I think they will be all right but also do they have that mental toughness, that psychological toughness needed to compete against CONCACAF's best not only now but 8 years from now? 

Our next batch showed incredible mental toughness in Toulon. We showed it too in the last Gold Cup. Zambrano started to address that and I believe Herdman will complete the shift and change the attitude.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Our next batch showed incredible mental toughness in Toulon. We showed it too in the last Gold Cup. Zambrano started to address that and I believe Herdman will complete the shift and change the attitude.

Yeah I sure hope so because Canada does have the talent coming up from youth level. Canada's youth program right now is actually showing real promise for the first time in years but let's just see if any of that talent can break into the 2019 Gold Cup team or if they can help Canada qualify for Qatar 2022.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:56 AM, admin said:

Not going to happen, and it makes us look bad. 

It is what it is, let's make it as good as it can be.

The way i read format.  Canada is certain to get AT LEAST one round of 16 matces.  Given that its 48 teams in 16 groups in 16 cities, that means three matches in each city(ie.: three teamsper group).  If all three canadian cities are selected that will mean nine games.  But canada was promised ten games. So that means that extra game has to be a round of 16 game.  Also, they did say that all 1/4 finals matches and onward would be in the US. 

And, they also said in the presentation at the FIFA congress that that they will group matches and groups into regional clusters to minimize travel.  To make that work with 16 teams, each city/group would have to host one round of 16 games and that means 12 games on Canadian soil.   

What i suspect will happen is that to get to 10 matches, they may drop one cnd city which would mean each of the two cities would get 5 games (the three group matches plus two round of 16 matches) and the that two or more of those american cities that dont get the round of 16 games would be ones that get the quarter finals or semis. 

On 6/14/2018 at 9:45 AM, Keegan said:

I’m sorry but this is so underwhelming.. we are getting 10 matches and aren’t even guaranteed a spot.  If anything it gives me anxiety about being the first country to host and not be in the World Cup.. surely we must be given a spot if it’s 48 teams.

It’s hard to even think about and then on top of that you hope all of us can go to the matches if we are in and we aren’t passed over by all these Canadians who haven’t supported the team ever. 

Several weeks ago, I had heard or read a quote attributable to the CSA rep who is on the bid committee.   When asked about Canada going at it alone,  he says that there is no way it would have been possible for Canada to go at it alone.  And that this was something he only started to realize as he got more involved in the project. 

And, the more i read things such as the 500 page bid book that FIFA posted on line,  the technical report that fifa showed at the congress, the presentations that Morocco did and the United bid presentation (these are on youtube BTW),  the more i am now convinced that he was right.   Just look at what Morrocco used as selling point.  Morrocco highlighted that:  it had the culture for the sport,  it had that all the 80 games within a 500 kilometer radius,  and that it was in the same timezone as western europe  and also a very short distance from there for traveling fans.  Thats where the big $$$ from the rights fees are.  

The united bid counter those valid arguments from Morroco by stressing  $11 bill it could generate and the fact that that it had stadiums already in place and only a few would require upgrades.  All of Morrocco’s stadiums needed upgrades. 

So what argument would Canada have had in its favour versus morroco? Or what points could we have countered with? Its debatable if our stadium situation would have better.  We would have the same geographical problem that the united bid had to counter but not have had the critical mass to generate anything close to 11 billion.  Our geography is A big hurdle canada in this kind event. 

In the end,  having ten games in canada will mean that if you live in one of the host cities (other than the fact that there are none of the 1/4 final and  1/2 final games). You are getting the same as everybody else given the sixteen groups of three format. 

PS.:  i am pretty confident that we will get a guaranteed spot.  With 48 teams this easier to do and more palatable to the rest of world. 

As far as the 2026 FIFA World Cup goes, in host cities, Toronto out of the 3 host cities could possibly see the most gains resulting in serious progression within the ground at BMO Field which can definitely do wonders for not only TFC but also the city of Toronto and the game of football itself.

Toronto also will most likely be the biggest tourism hub for the 2026 FIFA World Cup especially with tourists coming from all over the world. Not to mention 48 different teams in the FIFA World Cup for the first time ever and their fans travelling from all over the globe just to be in Toronto for the games that are held in Toronto will be quite the task especially if BMO Field is gonna have to keep pace as far as expansion. Considering BMO's capacity right now is definitely not enough to host and is smaller than Olympic Stadium (Montreal) and Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton) BMO is gonna have to have some serious renovations done between now and 2025 especially since games are gonna be held there in 2026. Not to mention Toronto is more than likely to be a very popular destination for the fans coming in from other countries just for this once in a lifetime extravaganza.

Not to mention with jobs too, the 2026 FIFA World Cup is obviously gonna employ a lot of workers too; not just construction workers but people who will no doubt be either volunteering or doing promotion or even working security. Needless to say that this event especially in Toronto will create thousands of jobs especially for people who at that time may even be unemployed.

With how much there is to do in Toronto, people there will hopefully be more than willing to explore the rest of the city. Toronto will be the biggest area for tourism as mentioned before, which can bring a lot of exposure to what Canada has to offer.

A big argument against World Cup tourism is that it hurts just plain tourism. Prices to travel to Toronto or Montreal or Edmonton for that matter will be very expensive, just because of what’s happening there. People who don’t want to see the World Cup might not go.

Plus if Canada automatically qualify for the World Cup that year, it will only help continue to grow the game in the North. The sense of “Canada against the world” will grow within grounds right in the reach of local neighborhoods and cities not just in Toronto but also in Montreal and in Edmonton.

It will hopefully install a sense of hope for the present and the future of the Canadian game. More understanding of the sport can help put football on the map in Canada, which is hopefully what the FIFA World Cup will do in 2026.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:03 AM, Tg11 said:

Canada we would be in Group A with our opening game being in Edmonton at Commonwealth Stadium and our second game in either Montreal at Olympic Stadium or Toronto at BMO Field. The two teams in Canada's group however would play each other in the US. Canada would get to play at home for our first two knockout round games but only if we win our group. If they finish second they would actually head to Mexico for the round of 32 and would continue in the US from there.

I watched the united bid presentation to the fifa congress.  They clearly stated that the first games of the tournament woud be played in Mexico city, Toronto, and LA.     If the tradition holds that host countries play on the first  day, then Canada’s opening game will be in Toronto.  

Also, they talked about having regional clusters for several groups in order to mitigate the travel issues.    Which i took to mean that there might be four regions each having four groups.  I also took this to mean that they wont move teams in the group stage outside of the city thats hosting a group.  

I really hope that they dont have a round 32.  That would really suck! That means that two of three teams advance from the group stage.  Hence a strong team is not likely to need a stong effort in order to advance.  This would render the group stage as meaningfull as a preparatory game or a friendly for the next round.   Imagine a Germany grouped with Bolivia Saudi Arabia.  You are not going to see the best of Germany in those games.

My comments in the posts above were under the assumption that they would go to a round of sixteen after the grouup stage (ie.: one of three teams advances).  

Edit.:  your right.  It turns out i miscalculated.  In order to have an 80 game tournament,  you will have to have a round of 32.  That sucks.

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I watched the united bid presentation to the fifa congress.  They clearly stated that the first games of the tournament woud be played in Mexico city, Toronto, and LA.     If the tradition holds that host countries play on the first  day, then Canada’s opening game will be in Toronto.  

Also, they talked about having regional clusters for several groups in order to mitigate the travel issues.    Which i took to mean that there might be four regions each having four groups.  I also took this to mean that they wont move teams in the group stage outside of the city thats hosting a group.  

I really hope that they dont have a round 32.  That would really suck! That means that two of three teams advance from the group stage.  Hence a strong team is not likely to need a stong effort in order to advance.  This would render the group stage as meaningfull as a preparatory game or a friendly for the next round.   Imagine a Germany grouped with Bolivia Saudi Arabia.  You are not going to see the best of Germany in those games.

My comments in the posts above were under the assumption that they would go to a round of sixteen after the group stage (ie.: one of three teams advances).  

Either way if Toronto is hosting a FIFA World Cup game that works for me. Why? I am from right here in Toronto. If Canada is playing its opening game here in Toronto at BMO Field no doubt the game will be sold out that is just a given. Mexico hosting their game in Mexico City will no doubt be at the Estadio Azteca and for the USA their opening game if it is in LA it will be at the Rose Bowl since the Rose Bowl is confirmed to already be a lock as far as American cities go.

Apparently they named Toronto as being a host city for the Round of 16 from the Bid Book.

If Canada has 2 group games in Canada both of their games most likely will be at BMO Field or it could be a combination of BMO Field & Olympic Stadium in Montreal. Or it could be the opposite of it being BMO Field and Commonwealth Stadium.

Well this is the new format...48 teams...16 groups of 3 teams and top 2 teams advance into the Round of 32 and from then on it is straight Knockout tournament football meaning you win you go on you lose you're eliminated. Personally I like it. We get more games out of the FIFA World Cup. Altogether with a 32 team format you would only get 64 games whereas with 48 teams you are getting 80 games altogether.

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

This is not true. They talked about hosting the three games at the same time while showing video of the venues they mentioned but they did not actually commit to those host sites.

7 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

This is not true. They talked about hosting the three games at the same time while showing video of the venues they mentioned but they did not actually commit to those host sites.

Even so these sites for the most part are confirmed locks as far as 2026 stadiums go for hosting venues. They still only have to confirm the other US cities since right now they have 17 and have to cut 7 cities from the list of hosting cities.

Canada's group stage games being one of the co hosts will most likely be in Toronto and Montreal. However, they could decide to go Toronto & Edmonton for our games. However, should we get to the Round of 32 then we would have to play our home game in the USA but then if we get to Round of 16 we would wind up right back in Canada for it. Pretty much all it comes down to is travel.

19 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

I’ll look up the video. Its on youtube. They  said it in the video presenation and list the names of the three cities and showed the city names with a picture of the stadium.

21 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Shall i look up video?  Its on youtube.  See for yourself.  They  said it in the video presenation and list the names of the three cities and showed the city names with a picture of the stadium.

Then if this is true then it all works out or it makes the most sense that it would be in the biggest cities in Mexico, Canada and the US that being Mexico City, Toronto and LA.

19 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

go to 4:12:20 

Of course nobody will ever say:  “i guarantee.....” or “we commit to....”.  But that’s plan and if there wasnt a strong degree of intent, they wouldnt have stated the names of the cities.

I am surprised nobody mentioned this here.  But those videos show the V’s on few occassions.  In one that i recall, it was where J Deguzman goes To the stands in the voyageurs section. 

The united bid’s full presentation starts at 4:03:00

the first video starts at 4:10:50

the second video at 4:16:30

Lots of canadian content in there! 

The best theory I have seen has Canada hosting 6 group stage games (the equivalent of all of the games for 2 groups), 2 round of 32 games (the two that Canada could potentially advance to) and 2 round of 16 games. It's possible that, say, Edmonton doesn't get any group stage games, but that they do get R32 and/or R16 games. Or maybe each city gets 2 group stage games rather than 3.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

The best theory I have seen has Canada hosting 6 group stage games (the equivalent of all of the games for 2 groups), 2 round of 32 games (the two that Canada could potentially advance to) and 2 round of 16 games. It's possible that, say, Edmonton doesn't get any group stage games, but that they do get R32 and/or R16 games. Or maybe each city gets 2 group stage games rather than 3.

Apparently Canada altogether we are supposed to get 10 games. However, for the Round of 16 we only get 1 Round of 16 match according to FIFA, according to the United Bid Book. The rest most likely will be comprised of group stage games and possibly 1 Round of 32 match. However, for Canada our games definitely will most likely be at BMO Field (Toronto) and Olympic Stadium (Montreal).

I think it's pretty clear the idea of the 10 games was to ensure Canada and Mexico get to play all of their group games at home and the first Round of 16 game. No one besides us think they will go any farther than that.

On 6/28/2018 at 8:36 PM, Free kick said:

I’ll look up the video. Its on youtube. They  said it in the video presenation and list the names of the three cities and showed the city names with a picture of the stadium.

Yes, I know it's in the video, I posted the link on this board several days ago. The city names were for 'illustrative purposes' and not a final commitment as you yourself have now confirmed.

16 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I think it's pretty clear the idea of the 10 games was to ensure Canada and Mexico get to play all of their group games at home and the first Round of 16 game. No one besides us think they will go any farther than that.

Well then either way that is good for us but also good for Mexico too. Canada and Mexico would get to play in their respective countries in front of their home fans and they wouldn't have to travel to US to play games unless they go far in the tournament and staying right at home suits both teams I am sure because knowing the atmosphere for the games especially Canada's games will definitely be a sight to behold.

12 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Apparently Canada altogether we are supposed to get 10 games. However, for the Round of 16 we only get 1 Round of 16 match according to FIFA, according to the United Bid Book. The rest most likely will be comprised of group stage games and possibly 1 Round of 32 match. However, for Canada our games definitely will most likely be at BMO Field (Toronto) and Olympic Stadium (Montreal).

I haven’t read the bid book. Does it really say Canada would host one and only one round of 16 match? If Canada makes it to the round of 32 we would have to host 2 round of 32 games to ensure we play at home. Same goes for the round of 16. With 2 of 3 teams advancing from the group stage in an expanded World Cup and presumably us getting seeded it would be possible to make it to the round of 32. Then it’s just a single game to steal a result at home away from making it to the round of 16. It would seem pretty ridiculous if we were in the round of 16, and hosting a round of 16 game, but not hosting our own game. So like I said, to guarantee us hosting ourselves we would need to host 2 round of 16 games.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

I haven’t read the bid book. Does it really say Canada would host one and only one round of 16 match? If Canada makes it to the round of 32 we would have to host 2 round of 32 games to ensure we play at home. Same goes for the round of 16. With 2 of 3 teams advancing from the group stage in an expanded World Cup and presumably us getting seeded it would be possible to make it to the round of 32. Then it’s just a single game to steal a result at home away from making it to the round of 16. It would seem pretty ridiculous if we were in the round of 16, and hosting a round of 16 game, but not hosting our own game. So like I said, to guarantee us hosting ourselves we would need to host 2 round of 16 games.

I guess I see your point but that is apparently what it says in the Bid Book. I am only going off of that but then again I could be wrong for all I know. All I do know for sure is that we are guaranteed to host 10 games just like Mexico is and USA gets to host 60 games. I definitely know that we get to host group stage games and Round of 16 but I don't know about Round of 32 for sure but I will look at the Bid Book again to see. I mean with 48 teams in there naturally your theory makes the most sense however it is really up to FIFA as they are the ones who make the final call on everything.

Guest Tg11

Also interested too to see which American cities host games too. I can imagine the time zone differences will be a killer as well as travel especially traveling from Canada to US to Mexico.

Guest Tg11
10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I just hope that Edmonton gets some good games. That is where the fam and I will be catching the WC2026 games, so fingers crossed for at least one home game and a later stage game or two.  Already reserved my friend's couch :)

Yeah I think since we are supposed to get 10 games I think one of the cities will get 4 games and the other 2 cities will get 3 games respectively to make it 10 altogether

Interview with Victor Montagliani regarding BC's decision to not be part of the 2026 World Cup bid.

http://torontosun.com/sports/soccer/world-cup-notes-concacaf-boss-disappointed-with-b-c-bailing

"“It’s obvious they thought we were playing a few games at BC Place. They probably thought it was a Timbits tournament. No, seriously. They just don’t understand the scope of what this sport is in the world and what this tournament means.”

Archived