2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I think the most likely host for the draw is USA. Like, far more likely.

I agree with that in the sense that the Official Draw in December 2025 they would probably hold it in a place like New York or Los Angeles. I wouldn't even have a problem with the Draw being held in the US.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

Canada is going to be seeded and therefore play a country ranked 17-32 in the tournament and one ranked 33-48.... we have to come in the top 2 in a group of 3 so essentially win one of our two group games. Hopefully we have a home game against a team like Saudi Arabia or Ecuador and should advance to the round of 32. I don't see us being in a group of death

Yeah Canada as one of the hosts if given automatic qualification I agree they would be seeded into Pot 1 via Group Draw in the Official Group Draw in December 2025. Even if seeded Canada could still wind up in a Group of Death. It is possible but being one of the hosts I can see us getting either an easy draw or a moderate draw in the sense that it could be seen as bad but it could actually be good for us especially if it is a 3-team group. Yes we would have to come out on top in the top 2 either in 1st place or even in 2nd place. If we get 2nd place in the 3 team group we could end up facing a team like Germany, Brazil, France, England basically a footballing power in the Round of 32 which is what we would have to try to avoid. If they get 1st place in the group and win the 3 team group then you would most likely a favorable draw in the Round of 32.

10 hours ago, The Ref said:

Did I hear this right from Global News that FIFA has yet to decide if there will be 3 automatically qualified teams as hosts?

Yes that is correct. It's not official yet. There have been reports that it could be months before we know, and other reports saying it could be years before we know.

Just now, Kent said:

Yes that is correct. It's not official yet. There have been reports that it could be months before we know, and other reports saying it could be years before we know.

No.  This whole discussion is absurd.

They have already stated we will qualify.

There is a difference between a decision and ratification.

It's just paper work at this point.

2 hours ago, admin said:

This whole discussion is moot. The bid is over, done and won.

Time to lock this thread and start something like: 2026 World Cup Preparations 

:)

1 minute ago, ted said:

I was talking about the endless speculation wrt to us not getting an automatic spot. 

2 minutes ago, ted said:

Good idea. Lock this and i'll start another "Canada's starting XI for 2026" thread.

3 hours ago, admin said:

They have already stated we will qualify.

There is a difference between a decision and ratification.

It's just paper work at this point.

As far as I have seen, I don't think the bolded has actually happened. I don't think we will be forced to qualify, but I think it's important to know where things stand at the moment. That's just how I am. Our eggs are not yet chickens.

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

As far as I have seen, I don't think the bolded has actually happened. I don't think we will be forced to qualify, but I think it's important to know where things stand at the moment. That's just how I am. Our eggs are not yet chickens.

No, we are going to qualify.  Infantino himself has said all three will qualify.  It is not possible to joint host the event and not have the host qualify.  No one will ever bid again.  It's absurd. 

3 minutes ago, admin said:

No, we are going to qualify.  Infantino himself has said all three will qualify.  It is not possible to joint host the event and not have the host qualify.  No one will ever bid again.  It's absurd. 

Link?

7 minutes ago, admin said:

This has already occupied more time than I care about here and on Facebook. 

All these people sowing doubt over something that is a done deal is totally unproductive. 

Until FIFA makes a pronouncement on automatic qualification for the 2026 World Cup, doubt will remain.  Maybe that is a good thing if it forces FIFA to make a decision/come out with their decision sooner rather than later.

Until then, speculation and rumours are to be expected and I will continue to worry about Canada being dropped as a host of the tournament in favour of the Chicago Fire!

17 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I agree with that in the sense that the Official Draw in December 2025 they would probably hold it in a place like New York or Los Angeles. I wouldn't even have a problem with the Draw being held in the US.

The bid book says that  "The United Bid recommends San Francisco Bay Area or Los Angeles to host the Final Draw.".

As Canada and Mexico already gave this away, I'm not sure why any would think it would change countries now.

Why are we debating done deals?

If the Draw will take place in Los Angeles in 2025 then that's even better. I mean if it is in Hollywood especially or in California do you know how many soccer legends will come out just for that Group Draw especially if it is in that area?

Either way I am also not only excited about the 2026 FIFA World Cup itself but also excited about the Group Draw because anything can happen

To think the pressure all the pressure will be on us in the next 8 years when we co host along with the United States and Mexico. However, because of the fact that with all of that pressure comes expectations for us to meet. The expectations for us as being one of the 3 hosts is no doubt to advance from our group but then again it could all come down to just which teams we draw in our group. The thing about 3 team groups about groups of 3 is that there is an unpredictability factor because of the fact that countries could draw Groups of Death no matter what you can do in the Group Draw there is no way around that even if you are a seeded team which Canada most likely will be. Even if by a miracle Canada were to get out of the group they have to worry about advancing into the Round of 32 and from then on it is straight Knockout football. You win you go on to the next round but if you lose even one game in the Round of 32 you're out. I know with the USA and Mexico they are probably gonna have just as much pressure if not more to deliver.

I mean BC Place they should have included that in the Bid as far as hosting cities for World Cup games. BC Place makes more sense to have FIFA World Cup games played in there but apparently Vancouver didn't want to be a host city which boggles my mind because they would have been perfect. I mean they obviously have the biggest and best soccer stadium out of any Canadian venue but still the venues for 2026 that being BMO Field in Toronto, Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton and Montreal's Olympic Stadium are gonna have to do. I just love that BMO Field is one of the venues consider me biased because I am from Toronto but still the atmosphere at BMO Field especially if a FIFA World Cup game is hosted there would be insane. I know Olympic Stadium will no doubt be renovated and so would Commonwealth most likely. So I wonder if BMO Field would also have to be renovated as well since there are gonna be so many fans pouring in and they will be over capacity just for people trying to watch.

I know the transit systems here in Toronto will be insane come 2026 especially TTC and GO Transit systems for FIFA World Cup 2026 will be even more insane. I know the Mayor will probably have plans set in place for all of that.

I was discussing this with some fellow Canadians but also talked to a few Americans and a few Mexicans too about 2026. There are some who are extremely skeptical about the idea of 16 groups with three teams each in a 48-team World Cup, instead of 12x4. For me anyway I feel like it's obviously way more reasonable and doable in terms of logistics but fairness-wise it's very likely to result in a host of controversial last-round matches.

With only three matches played in each group instead of six, and the final match being played while a 3rd team sits out and hopes for the result of that final game to go its way, it's VERY likely that we'll see plenty of toothless 3rd matches where the two teams that only need a draw play out the most farsical, passive, pact-of-non-aggression game imaginable.

Not saying that teams will directly collude with one another in order to knock out another team, but psychologically, it's going to be hard for two teams that only need a draw to go all-out and try to win, should defeat for either result in elimination.

17 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I mean BC Place they should have included that in the Bid as far as hosting cities for World Cup games. BC Place makes more sense to have FIFA World Cup games played in there but apparently Vancouver didn't want to be a host city which boggles my mind because they would have been perfect.

Fine, if we are gonna keep this outdated thread going...

@Tg11 , dude, did you read anything at all about the Vancouver situation? 

AT NO TIME EVER did Vancouver or the Province of British Columbia say they did NOT want to be part of the bid. 

What they did was refuse to sign anything until they got an answer to a simple question: how much will this cost us?

Not an unreasonable question.

20 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I mean BC Place they should have included that in the Bid as far as hosting cities for World Cup games.

Indeed. City of Vancouver should have signed on - the same way City of Toronto should have signed on to the Women's World Cup.

No point discussing it any further though, as it's clearly not going to happen, unless one of the 3 selected cities, backs out. And I doubt that will happen.

With Canada, USA and Mexico as hosts they will all get to play on the same day. I am sure of that so it makes me wonder then how many games would they go about broadcasting all in one day?

Canada would most likely play first against whoever is in their group

Mexico would play next

USA playing third

And most likely there would be 1 or 2 more games to finish out Day 1

Archived