2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

Word is that FIFA will decide on this issue as far as automatic qualification for all 3 nations for 2026...in June of 2019 at least that is what I hear through certain grapevines though I feel it is inevitable that all 3 go through. It just needs to be clarified because it's the first time something like this has ever happened.

It seems as if USA and Mexico are for sure in, Canada being the question mark. However that would be outrageous if they still have to go through the qualification cycle. Plus if it was still a 32 team tournament then I could see the problem with all 3 qualifying. But for a 48 team tournament where three other teams from CONCACAF are still going to get in? No big deal.

Furthermore, Canada are going to automatically qualify I am not worried. Too much money on the line to leave anything to chance.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also with us, USA and Mexico having automatic qualification it actually helps us in the long run because then we aren't going through the trouble of having to qualify for our tournament and we can sit back and watch the other CONCACAF nations try to qualify from the Hex. If we are given 3 automatic spots then that leaves 3 more spots for other countries in CONCACAF to take plus a playoff spot (CONCACAF going up against Asia or Oceania) so in actuality it is really the same as any normal Hex if you really think about it

22 hours ago, spinrack said:

Can I just say how much I hate the format change to groups of three?

It really hurts the weaker teams by reducing the number of matches for which they get to represent their country on the world stage.

Also, I don't think that having each team play only two matches in the group stage allows the countries involved to definitively determine who is best in the group.  Even three matches is not enough, IMHO.

I mean, I get why it has to be done... with the increased field of 48, they're trying to keep the total number of group stage matches at a reasonable number.  Plus the mid-level teams stand a better chance to make it into the larger knockout round field of 32.  But it still seems like a fundamentally flawed group stage system.

Just wait until Canada advances from the group stage on a coin toss, then you will really love it

22 hours ago, spinrack said:

Can I just say how much I hate the format change to groups of three?

It really hurts the weaker teams by reducing the number of matches for which they get to represent their country on the world stage.

Also, I don't think that having each team play only two matches in the group stage allows the countries involved to definitively determine who is best in the group.  Even three matches is not enough, IMHO.

I mean, I get why it has to be done... with the increased field of 48, they're trying to keep the total number of group stage matches at a reasonable number.  Plus the mid-level teams stand a better chance to make it into the larger knockout round field of 32.  But it still seems like a fundamentally flawed group stage system.

Not to mention the possibility of teams colluding in the final match of the group and the fact that 2 of the 3 teams advance

For those that didn't see the Maradona quote on TSN:

"Mexico doesn't deserve it. The Mexicans come up against Brazil or Germany … and 'boom,' they're out." said Maradona

He added: "There's no passion. The Canadians may be good skiers, and the Americans wanted to have four periods of 25 [minutes] for the advertising."

If nothing else, he's entertaining.

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

Not to mention the possibility of teams colluding in the final match of the group and the fact that 2 of the 3 teams advance

That's an excellent point, and I'm sure we'll see plenty of that when the time comes.

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

Yes, that was my thought as well.  There's a very good reason why there are currently an even number of teams in each group and the last matches of the group stage are played simultaneously.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:37 PM, Tg11 said:

48 teams if you have Canada, USA and Mexico all as automatic qualification as hosts...that leaves 3 spots wide open for CONCACAF especially if the hosts are not taking part in qualification...

No one will ever complain about getting a bye to the WC.  But, having said that, not  playing competitive matches like you get in qualifying is one of the pitfalls of being the hosts.   Especially for sides like Can, US and Mex.   if you are one of the three or four top national sides in the world,  you can rely on talent and on the invisible hand that can occur behind the scenes (eg.: Arg 78 and Fra 98).  But  Italy, Germany and Brazil never won as hosts and you can argue they under performed in the WC’s that they hosted if you look at the talent they had at the time. 

Freindlies are just that, freindlies.  How to stay sharp and focused in the 4 years leading up to 2026 is going be the challenge 

It will be interesting to see what Impact the 2026 story will have in Tabla’s final decision.  One would have thought up to now, that the odds were trending against Canada. But now, i would think they are better and you never know what you can achieve behind the scenes when there is the greater urgency to field the strongest team possible.  Tabla and Davies would look really good on the wings for Canada.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

But  Italy, Germany and Brazil never won as hosts and you can argue they under performed in the WC’s that they hosted if you look at the talent they had at the time.

(West) Germany did win as hosts in 1974.  They started slowly but peaked at the right time.

Is it guaranteed that the WC would be 16 groups of 3?  Is there no way they would run 12 groups of 4? Have the top 2 go through and the next 8 best third place finishers. This would allow simultaneous games on the last day of group play and add to the excitement with more than one team in some groups being eliminated.

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Is it guaranteed that the WC would be 16 groups of 3?  Is there no way they would run 12 groups of 4? Have the top 2 go through and the next 8 best third place finishers. This would allow simultaneous games on the last day of group play and add to the excitement with more than one team in some groups being eliminated.

I actually like this idea better because if you have 16 groups of 3...top 2 advance in every group it would be a Round of 24 and then you have the 8 best 3rd placed teams in the tournament and they go through along with the top 2...simultaneous games on the last day of the group stage...adds to the excitement well adds to the unpredictability factor too

Maradona said he is not a fan of us 3 countries USA, Mexico and Canada co hosting because in his words he said that we have no passion for the game

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Maradona said he is not a fan of us 3 countries USA, Mexico and Canada co hosting because in his words he said that we have no passion for the game

During the close up of Maradona earlier today he was wiping his nose over and over. Dude is high as fuck all the time.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

During the close up of Maradona earlier today he was wiping his nose over and over. Dude is high as fuck all the time.

I mean he is an all time great without question the best ever or one of the best ever. I listen to everything any all time great has to say but when Maradona says something like Canada-USA-Mexico haven't done anything to earn hosting it or that we have no passion then he is really being asinine in that statement.

Yes we will have more on the line in 2026 on home soil but at the same time pressure is not really on us because if we are given automatic qualification we don't have to play in qualifiers so it takes the pressure off if you think about it. However, preparation wise we can play friendlies a lot of them and also play more competitive fixtures but if the Confederations Cup is still around by 2025 that also helps us prepare physically and mentally.

16 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Lol it’s not like Qatar has a storied  and gloriously passionate past in football 

LOL I know right

7 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Why isn't that useless cokehead in the breadlines in Maduro's Venezuela celebrating the communism he loves so much? What a joke he is and has been for decades. 

Honestly any format with 48 teams is really awful. 

Having groups of 4 with 3rd place advancing as well is just going to make a repeat of Euro 2016, while groups of 3 will allow much smaller teams to just play for draws as 2 points would be good enough to advance. 

One good point I heard from the 3 group format is that it would only let the really shite teams that qualify 2 games (the Saudis and Uzbekistans of the world)

On 6/16/2018 at 12:07 AM, BearcatSA said:

(West) Germany did win as hosts in 1974.  They started slowly but peaked at the right time.

Italy also won as hosts, even though it was way the hell back in the 1930's. Still, it counts.

Incidentally I'm not sure that Italy with a record of 6 wins, no & 1 draw in 7 games an being eliminated on PK's can really be said to have underperformed in 1990. I'll take that over their undefeated record in the 2018 World Cup any day.......undefeated of course because they aren't even in it!

As for Maradona's comment I quoted on the previous page about Mexico always losing to Germany........whoops!

Plus what I like about 2026 about there being 48 teams is that there will be a lot more countries in the tournament. The spirit of competition; that unity, that togetherness that brings all of us from different walks of life is what will make this tournament the most connected and or the most watched FIFA World Cup in history well in the next 8 years. Plus we will get to see a lot more country flags not only on cars and a lot of fans from all over the world from 48 different countries.The transit system here in Toronto but also in Montreal and Edmonton will be hectic to say the least. The transit systems in the USA and in Mexico it will be even worse. It will be even more hectic for people flying from all over the world on travel & tour packages to come here to Canada or to go to the US or to Mexico to watch games. I mean it does wonders for tourism not only in Mexico but in US and here in Canada.

Plus since we are hosting 10 games here in Canada and if we get 3 group stage games in Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton respectively then that's 9 matches in group stage but then if we get to host 1 Knockout match then will it be in the Round of 32? Or in the Round of 16?

Canada obviously as one of the 3 co-hosts is gonna be playing at home

However, it all comes down to who Canada gets in their group via the Official Group Draw in December 2025 when they do the Group Draw for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. So it begs the question of where they will host the Official Group Draw in December 2025? If they host the Group Draw here in Canada it would most likely be at Ricoh Coliseum in Toronto or it could even be at the Air Canada Centre. I mean stranger have happened. Plus for the 2026 Official Group Draw I mean we will have so many legends coming for it in 2025 and I wonder which celebrities they will get as helpers for it?

I mean Canada could very well end up in a Group of Death in the next 8 years. I mean still FIFA has managed to make the Group Draw fair and balanced not like Group Draws of the past. However, Canada if given automatic qualification they could end up with an easy 3 team group and if that happens Canada could very well advance here at home.

Canada is going to be seeded and therefore play a country ranked 17-32 in the tournament and one ranked 33-48.... we have to come in the top 2 in a group of 3 so essentially win one of our two group games. Hopefully we have a home game against a team like Saudi Arabia or Ecuador and should advance to the round of 32. I don't see us being in a group of death

Archived