2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

7 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

1) Morocco was caught paying bribes for the 2010 World Cup in spite of losing the vote.  They were double crossed by Blazer and Warner among others.  They are capable of corruption.

You don't think the US, Canada and Mexico are capable of corruption too? Every World Cup in recent memory has been won by a corrupt bid winning against other corrupt bids. There have been a lot of revelations about corruption in the winning Spain and  Germany World Cup bids but they just don't get publicized so much because we in the West like to point our fingers at other countries corruption and hide and ignore our own. It is annoying. Qatar won over England not because England did not play as dirty as Qatar, Qatar simply beat them in the corrupt system that England played a big role in establishing. FIFA is just as corrupt now as when Blatter was there, the corruption is just controlled by different countries the main one of which is the US. If the US wants the World Cup they will get it and Morocco will have 0% chance no matter what they do. The only chance Morocco has is if the US is not fully interested in hosting the World Cup and only makes a half hearted effort.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

You don't think the US, Canada and Mexico are capable of corruption too? Every World Cup in recent memory has been won by a corrupt bid winning against other corrupt bids. There have been a lot of revelations about corruption in the winning Spain and  Germany World Cup bids but they just don't get publicized so much because we in the West like to point our fingers at other countries corruption and hide and ignore our own. It is annoying. Qatar won over England not because England did not play as dirty as Qatar, Qatar simply beat them in the corrupt system that England played a big role in establishing. FIFA is just as corrupt now as when Blatter was there, the corruption is just controlled by different countries the main one of which is the US. If the US wants the World Cup they will get it and Morocco will have 0% chance no matter what they do. The only chance Morocco has is if the US is not fully interested in hosting the World Cup and only makes a half hearted effort.

Of course the North America bid is capable of corruption.  Never said they weren't.  In fact, the 180 million dollar bonus that Fox is offering to FIFA if the US gets 2026 could be construed as an over the table bribe.  Question is, would that sway the 211 individual voters compared to someone going around to voters like Bin Hamamm handing out brown envelopes. 

BTW, England did not lose to Qatar, they lost to Russia.      

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ansem said:

The real question us that Trump aka the Neanderthal calling the African block a shithole just cost us the world cup?

Too late to solo bid...FML

Well, this article says that only only a "crazy action" from Donald Trump could cost Canmexiates the the World Cup. Those comments might just have been  that "crazy action" which will haunt us. The fact that we are bidding against one of the countries that Trump is seemingly referring to does not help our cause.

10 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

In the CBC report it states that Canada will be a automatic qualifier if we win the united bid. When was that decided?

Remember, the article says that it is the city that said we will automatically qualify. That should be taken with a grain of salt as the staffers aren't soccer experts. It is possible that they just Googled "FIFA World Cup" and found that the hosts automatically qualify. They may not realize that a three team World Cup will probably have different regulations. The only confirmation that we should consider official should be from either the CSA, FIFA or the bid committee. Regardless, this is good progress.

35 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Remember, the article says that it is the city that said we will automatically qualify. That should be taken with a grain of salt as the staffers aren't soccer experts. It is possible that they just Googled "FIFA World Cup" and found that the hosts automatically qualify. They may not realize that a three team World Cup will probably have different regulations. The only confirmation that we should consider official should be from either the CSA, FIFA or the bid committee. Regardless, this is good progress.

I agree it says the city said it, but the CBC ( writer ) should of pointed out that it wasn't confirmed yet. That's the point I was trying to make. I should of been clearer.

2 hours ago, admin said:

It would be insane if we hosted and were not automatic qualifiers.  Given the size of that WC, why on earth wouldn't we be?

Then again, this is FIFA and the CSA put together. If anyone thinks that either of these organizations are acting in the best interests of the sport they are kidding themselves. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the CSA declines automatic qualification so that the boys can "gain experience" and then we flop out to Montserrat.

1 minute ago, Jith12 said:

Then again, this is FIFA and the CSA put together. If anyone thinks that either of these organizations are acting in the best interests of the sport they are kidding themselves. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the CSA declines automatic qualification so that the boys can "gain experience" and then we flop out to Montserrat.

I can appreciate cynicism as much as the next person... but come on. 

Of course we will have automatic qualification. 

They did this for two hosts, they will do it for three.   

55 minutes ago, admin said:

I can appreciate cynicism as much as the next person... but come on. 

Of course we will have automatic qualification. 

They did this for two hosts, they will do it for three.   

This. 

I don’t even know why this is seriously even being questioned to this degree. Everyone chill.

If we win the bid, we most likely get automatic advancement. But I still have more than 0 doubt because this is effectively the USA hosting with Canada and Mexico hosting a couple games. I could see them ruling that a country hosting only 12.5% of the tournament doesn’t warrant automatic qualification. Where do they draw the line? Can 8 countries bid together and each qualify automatically?

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

If we win the bid, we most likely get automatic advancement. But I still have more than 0 doubt because this is effectively the USA hosting with Canada and Mexico hosting a couple games. I could see them ruling that a country hosting only 12.5% of the tournament doesn’t warrant automatic qualification. Where do they draw the line? Can 8 countries bid together and each qualify automatically?

UEFA has made it clear that Euro 2020 (which will be hosted in 12 countries) will have no automatic qualification. Obviously this is much more than 3 hosts but the fact that we will only have 12.5% of the games leads to uncertainty.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

Given the number of teams in the tournament from this point forward, this might be the new normal.  

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Well keep in mind that the spot(s) now come out of your regions allotment, not a bonus spot(s). That right there puts a cap on it to a certain extent.  CONCACAF will have 6 spots, two of which would be almost certainly taken up by the US and Mexico anyway. So really the argument is should Canada get one of the other 4 spots.  Given that we're hosting, I find it hard not to see us getting it.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

They would not accept an eight country bid in the first place!

Archived