2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

5 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

A couple of points, some specifically about Regina and a couple of others to address some of the other comments here. 

1) Stadia do not have to have all permanent seats....

That is not what the Manitoba Soccer Association were told:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/08/15/winnipeg-left-off-world-cup-list

...“We had some tough questions they had tough answers to,” Manitoba Soccer Association executive director Hector Vergara was saying, Tuesday. “And based on that information it was determined that it wasn't feasible. The requirement of the men's World Cup is much different than the requirements of the women's World Cup. It's the way FIFA operates.

“The players involved are worth millions and millions of dollars. So there are a lot of variables they take into consideration.”

Starting with the stadiums, which must have 40,000 permanent seats. Not temporary -- permanent.

“I don't know if there's space to put 40,000 seats in there,” Vergara said of the Bombers' home, which seats around 33,000. “But you can imagine the magnitude of the costs to put 7,000 seats in that space. FIFA will not pay for the rebuilding of those facilities...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised to read that article yesterday, because, as I posted above, (and Rob reiterated) I knew it not to be true. It was just another of those "guidelines" that people post here believing to be etched in stone, and with FIFA never are.

The last I had heard, some of the upper decks of the Qatar stadiums were to be disassembled and distributed elsewhere.

14 hours ago, johnyb said:

Is that accurate? 1 Billion $!!! Wow. Held hostage is right. Renovate and get the Expos back!

The official figure was that it would at least cost 700M. (http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/06/16/au-moins-700-m-pour-demolir-le-stade-olympique) At least is the key word here. I have no doubts it would come closer to 900M, especially taking into account inflation, as this will not happen overnight. The latest adjustment calculated that it would cost 800M$ if the demolition started in 2015.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This will be the first fully post-Blatter World Cup hosting in terms of when it gets awarded and the bidding process followed, so I suspect guidlines are a lot firmer now than they used to be when there was rampant corruption at FIFA HQ.

There were temporary stands in the 2014 world cup as well. I think the current trend in big sporting events is to cut costs to not hold the hosting nation hostage to huge deficits. Allowing "some" temporary seating would follow that spirit.

Given the stadia that are available and ready to go with minimal changes required across Mexico, the United States and Canada there is no obvious need for them to cut corners on this. I suspect they'll be looking to maximize available capacity in major metropolitan markets that have multiple direct flights daily to all of the other relevant venues, so even 40,000 might be viewed as too small. They only really need two stadiums in Canada with five games each and extra venues beyond that eat into the organizers' profit margin, so I suspect even the big three may wind up competing with each other on this.

Hector Vergara needs to shut up about other cities, just because  Winnipeg can't host because they are too cheap! it doesn't mean go out and cry and say it's not feasible for other cities. I can't stand cheap idiots in this country! Seriously! Cheap idiots have cost Canada. Hey Hector I hope your reading this! Because you just screwed Winnipeg and  Manitoba because you're CHEAP! It's the World CUP you tool! 

“I don't know if there's space to put 40,000 seats in there,” Vergara said of the Bombers' home, which seats around 33,000. “But you can imagine the magnitude of the costs to put 7,000 seats in that space. FIFA will not pay for the rebuilding of those facilities.

“There's no sense in Winnipeg getting involved in a bidding process where you have to spend millions of dollars.”

It won't be feasible for Calgary, either, where there's talk of replacing McMahon with a new home for the Stampeders.

It won't be feasible in Ottawa, where they just opened the new place a couple years ago.

And it certainly won't be in Regina, where the 33,500-seat home of the Riders still has that new-car smell.

We haven't even mentioned the FIFA requirement for grass fields. Add another $2-3 million to change over from turf."

yes it's a long shot  but it is feasible for ottawa.  They have lots of space on the ends. They can build more  permanent seating, it kinda looks like it was designed for it. Also the red blacks are  selling out every game and they could potential get 30- 35,000 a game. The field needs to be replaced, my understanding it wasnt changed when they  renovated TD place. Let's hope for grass or at least a hybrid system and heated. 

Also  Calgary is looking at maybe hosting the Olympics and trying to put a package deal together for a new arena/football stadium. They can get 40,000 for Calgary Stampeders games. 

IMG_0046.PNG

IMG_0047.JPG

15 hours ago, SpecialK said:

When I went to the Olympic  stadium for the first time, playoff game against Toronto and MTL.  I was so amazed by the size and 61,000. But when I was going around the stadium it just made me sad because there was nothing there and the massive potential of that stadium is just being thrown away because of a bunch of idiot politicians with lack of vision. 

Hey I'm not from MTL but I don't understand why people of MTL don't fight for  The stadium it could be something special once again.

Trust me if there's anything Quebecers are good at is bitching and complaining. It's actually the number one sport slightly ahead of les Canadiens.

The flip side is some people get a hopeless feeling considering the corruption and mafia involvement and the mafia controlling unions  however I feel the SJW movement in Canada started to be trendy first in Qc w the whole red square movement and the tent city at Victoria Square. And what did the Cdn tv and radio media portray these people as? They painted them as a bunch of selfish spoiled bums that should shut up and get jobs  when instead they're fully in their rights to protest. 

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

That is not what the Manitoba Soccer Association were told:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/08/15/winnipeg-left-off-world-cup-list

...“We had some tough questions they had tough answers to,” Manitoba Soccer Association executive director Hector Vergara was saying, Tuesday. “And based on that information it was determined that it wasn't feasible. The requirement of the men's World Cup is much different than the requirements of the women's World Cup. It's the way FIFA operates.

“The players involved are worth millions and millions of dollars. So there are a lot of variables they take into consideration.”

Starting with the stadiums, which must have 40,000 permanent seats. Not temporary -- permanent.

“I don't know if there's space to put 40,000 seats in there,” Vergara said of the Bombers' home, which seats around 33,000. “But you can imagine the magnitude of the costs to put 7,000 seats in that space. FIFA will not pay for the rebuilding of those facilities...

That's interesting. I'd not read that so I appreciate the info. 

Although this would mean that Regina should not have even been approached. What would the point be if Mosaic already does not fit the bill? Build permanent seating in the south end I suppose, but I have trouble seeing that. 

3 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Then there's no argument about it!

in terms of capacity seating it's obvious;

Olympic Stadium in Montreal,

Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton

& BC Place in Vancouver

right?  

But... Tronno? If it's not in Tronno, it's not in Canada.

6 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Given the stadia that are available and ready to go with minimal changes required across Mexico, the United States and Canada there is no obvious need for them to cut corners on this. I suspect they'll be looking to maximize available capacity in major metropolitan markets that have multiple direct flights daily to all of the other relevant venues, so even 40,000 might be viewed as too small. They only really need two stadiums in Canada with five games each and extra venues beyond that eat into the organizers' profit margin, so I suspect even the big three may wind up competing with each other on this.

This is my thinking as well. The fact that it is being held in 3 countries that will have a total pop >500 million in 2026...two of which are among the richest in the world...the standards aren't going to be lessened...

9 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

This is my thinking as well. The fact that it is being held in 3 countries that will have a total pop >500 million in 2026...two of which are among the richest in the world...the standards aren't going to be lessened...

And of the USA and Mexico's 40 stadiums that bid, only 3 are below 61,000. No reason for FIFA to lower the standard.

Say what you will about Toronto and the whole "centre of the universe" thing, but it would be a real shame if the most populous city in Canada, that also has the best soccer stadium in Canada (I don't think that's very debatable), to be left out of both Women's and Men's World Cup hosting.

42 minutes ago, Kent said:

Say what you will about Toronto and the whole "centre of the universe" thing, but it would be a real shame if the most populous city in Canada, that also has the best soccer stadium in Canada (I don't think that's very debatable), to be left out of both Women's and Men's World Cup hosting.

I am not really sure why being the best soccer stadium (of a small lot) is so important if it isn't the best stadium.  How many MLS soccer specific stadiums in the US will host, and Seattle isn't even "soccer specific"?  and who else?  I don't think anyone there cares about soccer specific.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Regardless of it seemed fair or not, what do you think "should" happen? A brand new stadium financed by public money? Besides an NFL stadium, that seems like the only way to have a venue fit for a world cup game.  (I mean, BMO "could" be expanded to 40k I guess)

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I am not really sure why being the best soccer stadium (of a small lot) is so important if it isn't the best stadium.  How many MLS soccer specific stadiums in the US will host, and Seattle isn't even "soccer specific"?  and who else?  I don't think anyone there cares about soccer specific.

My point wasn't about which stadiums should be picked. My point was just that it would be a shame.

I don't know what they will end up picking. I think the most likely options from the list in no particular order, are BC Place, Big O, Rogers Centre, Commonwealth, and expanded BMO. But every stadium needs some sort of work done, so it may come down to who wants it the most.

6 hours ago, fmfranck said:

I meant permanently.

Probably means bye bye Argos at that point, if the seats need to be permanent and the Winnipeg newspaper story suggests that they would have to be. 40,000 is on the small side when you see what is being proposed in Mexico and the United States, so I strongly suspect it will be the Rogers Centre that gets used. With TFC selling out reasonably consistently at the moment, however, there is a case to be made that they could grow into a 40,000 capacity over the next decade as the least soccer friendly portion of the population departs the scene and a new generation grows up watching MLS and cheering for TFC, so the ball is very much in MLSE's court. Hopefully this post on the RPB board has some substance to it:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?38472-BMO-Field-construction-thread&p=1845266&viewfull=1#post1845266

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Probably means bye bye Argos at that point, if the seats need to be permanent and the Winnipeg newspaper story suggests that they would have to be. 40,000 is on the small side when you see what is being proposed in Mexico and the United States, so I strongly suspect it will be the Rogers Centre that gets used. With TFC selling out reasonably consistently at the moment, however, there is a case to be made that they could grow into a 40,000 capacity over the next decade as the least soccer friendly portion of the population departs the scene and a new generation grows up watching MLS and cheering for TFC, so the ball is very much in MLSE's court. Hopefully this post on the RPB board has some substance to it:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?38472-BMO-Field-construction-thread&p=1845266&viewfull=1#post1845266

The permanent thing is baloney.  How many games has TFC sold out?  Interesting theory how people who don't watch soccer somehow translates into people watching soccer..

Archived