Mexico (3) Chicago, Illinois Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  Dallas, Texas Phoenix, Arizona
Guadalajara, Jalisco Denver, Colorado Salt Lake City, Utah
Mexico City, Mexico Detroit, Michigan San Francisco Bay Area, California
Monterrey, Nuevo León Houston, Texas Seattle, Washington
  Kansas City, Missouri Tampa, Florida
  Las Vegas, Nevada Washington, DC

• 3 weeks later...

Survey conducted by Ipsos shows that the general North American public is in support of hosting the 2026 WC. 77% of those surveyed are in favour of hosting and 57% said that they would consider attending the event if the live or work nearby. This is a good sign as FIFA generally likes it when the public puts its support behind an event. 

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2017/10/24/16/07/20171024-news-north-american-survey-shows-broad-support-for-united-bid-to-host-2026-fifa-world-cup

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't sound like hosting the tournament gets you an automatic spot in the big show anymore. If you don't qualify it sounds like you will be the 6th team in the playoff. Almost sounds like this was created so that if we can't qualify through the normal path we would get another shot through the playoff. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2017/11/08/fifa-lays-down-the-law-to-usa-mexico-canada-for-2026-world-cup-final-bid/#303b014d62a8

58 minutes ago, farrelld said:

Doesn't sound like hosting the tournament gets you an automatic spot in the big show anymore. If you don't qualify it sounds like you will be the 6th team in the playoff. Almost sounds like this was created so that if we can't qualify through the normal path we would get another shot through the playoff. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2017/11/08/fifa-lays-down-the-law-to-usa-mexico-canada-for-2026-world-cup-final-bid/#303b014d62a8

This just raises more questions. Let's say Morocco wins the bid. Do they participate in Africa's qualifying? If they qualify through Africa, who takes the 6th spot in that playoff? If they are excluded from African qualifying they may end up with a harder time qualifying (a South American team will likely almost always qualify through one of the 2 playoff spots).

I imagine this is explained in the FIFA document, but I don't have time at the moment to check.

Farrelld and I both read that part about the host country qualification incorrectly. The 6th playoff spot goes to a team from the host confederation, not necessarily one of the host nations.

In the document it is still saying "The host country would also automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup, and it's slot would be taken from the quota of its confederation. In the event of co-hosting, the number of host countries to qualify automatically would be decided by the FIFA Council".

So if Morocco wins the bid, they are in. If Canexitates wins, we still need to have a decision made by the FIFA Council.

2 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

I wonder if this is the first step (or only step?)to make it suitable for world cup games. I think it'll need more than a new roof. 

I hope and pray it's the first step. They should reno the whole thing, turn it into a world class stadium again and manage it well. Turn it into a money maker not some joke, but it's Québec and the Québec government. 

Huge Soccer matches, rugby, Huge track and field events, concerts ,outdoor hockey game, football and others. There shouldn't be an issue getting events in that place with a huge renovation. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I hope and pray it's the first step. They should reno the whole thing, turn it into a world class stadium again and manage it well. Turn it into a money maker not some joke, but it's Québec and the Québec government. 

Huge Soccer matches, rugby, Huge track and field events, concerts ,outdoor hockey game, football and others. There shouldn't be an issue getting events in that place with a huge renovation. 

Exactly, that's what I want as well. It really has potential as a venue. The only problem is that it'll always be in an undesirable location and that the Big O is a dirty word in Montreal. Nobody wants any more money to go to this thing. 

Edit: I should mention the fact that the tower is already undergoing huge renovations because TD is moving their offices in there, and the whole area around the stadium is being renovated as well. The only thing left to do would be to actually renovate the stadium itself. 

This is the big obstacle to the US/Canada/Mexico World Cup bid at present: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-fifa-worldcup/fifa-demands-visa-work-permit-and-tax-exemptions-for-2026-world-cup-idUSKBN1D72SR

FIFA have just confirmed the demands of the countries (and other public authorities) guaranteeing their demand of no tax on FIFA business, no work permits required and no visas. This may work in football-mad, super-corrupt and non-rule-of law  countries like South Africa (where they really started to order governments around) , Brazil, Russia and Qatar, but there is no way the citizens of the US and Canada (and maybe Mexico ) would agree to this nonsense. FIFA would radically have to end these demands. It could happen (FIFA could cave in because they may need to accept the bid for other commercial advantages), but so far FIFA have been stubborn about this immunity. Morrocco might be chosen for this reason, as they would do anything to get the tournament. I cannot see Morocco being able to handle a 40 team WC, if they keep to expansion plans. I believe FIFA would rather change the rule about switching Confederations, and even give China the 2026, before they would abandon this immunity.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:13 PM, Chad_Impact said:

Edit: I should mention the fact that the tower is already undergoing huge renovations because TD is moving their offices in there, and the whole area around the stadium is being renovated as well. The only thing left to do would be to actually renovate the stadium itself. 

I believe it's Desjardins moving there not TD.

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, xabuep2 said:

Mexican press indicates FIFA may change 2022 venue . ( sorry the article is in Spanish . It refers that due diplomatics problems in Qatar , the World Cup 2022 may be hosted in USA-Canada-Mexico )

http://www.record.com.mx/futbol-futbol-nacional-seleccion-mexicana/mundial-de-mexico-eu-canada-se-adelantaria-2022

I heard it was just Mexico and the USA getting it if this happened, but i’m hoping your link is right

* yawn* The same crap all the time. <insert country> is going to lose <insert event> because of <insert reason>. How did that work with the 2004 Olympics, 2010 WC, 2014 WC, 2014 Winter Olympics, 2016 Olympics etc.? I'd bet the house the 2022 WC will be in Qatar.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

* yawn* The same crap all the time. <insert country> is going to lose <insert event> because of <insert reason>. How did that work with the 2004 Olympics, 2010 WC, 2014 WC, 2014 Winter Olympics, 2016 Olympics etc.? I'd bet the house the 2022 WC will be in Qatar.

Massive difference between Qatar and any of those but I agree it likely won't happen

2 minutes ago, matty said:

Massive difference between Qatar and any of those but I agree it likely won't happen

What's so massive about the differences? At least the stadiums are built on time. No one seems to care about dead Nepalese construction workers in the Zurich ivory tower. Geo-political tension? Meh, neighbourly squabbles. Playing in the winter? Great vacation get away! 

The only time a WC has been taken away from a host was due to WWII and the only other time a host changed was when Colombia gave up the duties in 1986.

Just now, jpg75 said:

What's so massive about the differences? At least the stadiums are built on time. No one seems to care about dead Nepalese construction workers in the Zurich ivory tower. Geo-political tension? Meh, neighbourly squabbles. Playing in the winter? Great vacation get away! 

The only time a WC has been taken away from a host was due to WWII and the only other time a host changed was when Colombia gave up the duties in 1986.

The massive difference is they would likely have an entire region boycott which is something FIFA mostly does not want.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

The massive difference is they would likely have an entire region boycott which is something FIFA mostly does not want.

“likely” really? It’s still the World Cup

Just now, matty said:

Big whoop. Remember the 1984 Olympics? Huge success. The rest of the world will come out and over pay to watch the games. Besides, it's an opportunity to milk the Qataris for more perks and favours in 5 years time.

The only thing that will stop this WC from happening is a Shia-Sunni all-out war in the middle east.

1 minute ago, canta15 said:

“likely” really? It’s still the World Cup

Yea which is why if an entire region boycotted FIFA would be pissed.

1 minute ago, jpg75 said:

Big whoop. Remember the 1984 Olympics? Huge success. The rest of the world will come out and over pay to watch the games. Besides, it's an opportunity to milk the Qataris for more perks and favours in 5 years time.

The only thing that will stop this WC from happening is a Shia-Sunni all-out war in the middle east.

I'm not shocked you're dismissive but FIFA reportedly wants a Nobel Peace Prize and a boycott of this region would fuck that and make them look worse then they already are.

That said I do fully agree with you that this cup will happen (partly cause I don't think a boycott will happen).

1 hour ago, matty said:

I'm not shocked you're dismissive but FIFA reportedly wants a Nobel Peace Prize and a boycott of this region would fuck that and make them look worse then they already are.

That said I do fully agree with you that this cup will happen (partly cause I don't think a boycott will happen).

Delusions of Nobel prizes aside, i don't see how pulling the WC from Qatar achieves peace? I'd argue it probably adds fuel to the fire and the Qataris would seek revenge against the we-cooperate-with-Israel-now Saudis.

FIFA aren't dumb, there are 4 years to go and they realize a lot can happen between now and then to resolve itself. In fact it might give them an opportunity for Football diplomacy to bring the rivals together and look like the good guys, thus earning Nobel points.

Archived