2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rheo said:

On the SI Planet Futbol podcast from last night/today Grant Wahl and Brian Straus suggested that the game distribution could be changed to further reflect the diversity of the bid and combat the Morocco threat.  They thought it might go to 50-15-15.

Good thought but it would not make any difference, IMHO. Not that the US would agree to it anyway. They are a very selfish and protectionist nation and are only interested in maximum benefit to themselves. They do not care one whit about the greater good and CONCACAF, other than how furthering its cause will further their own.

Not that I subscribe to your overly simplistic generalization and stereotype but if they were that "selfish" they would do anything to keep the Cup including giving up a handful more of games.  You can't have it both ways lol

3 hours ago, Rheo said:

On the SI Planet Futbol podcast from last night/today Grant Wahl and Brian Straus suggested that the game distribution could be changed to further reflect the diversity of the bid and combat the Morocco threat.  They thought it might go to 50-15-15.

Hopefully, that will do wonders!

11 hours ago, Rheo said:

Not that I subscribe to your overly simplistic generalization and stereotype but if they were that "selfish" they would do anything to keep the Cup including giving up a handful more of games.  You can't have it both ways lol

You have obviously not been paying attention to the ongoing NAFTA negotiations, which typify the US in microcosm.

There is no way to know in advance whether distributing the games more widely would make a difference, so the reason for doing it would be somewhat altruistic; whereas the tough negotiator stance would be to hang tough until you have irrefutable evidence that it would make the difference (which is not going to happen because delegates will be voting for Morocco for other reasons).

Sunil Gulati has stepped down as chairman of the United Bid Committee. Instead, the three federation presidents will be elevated to co-chairs and have equal responsibility to represent the bid and lobby other member associations on its behalf.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3408773/north-american-2026-world-cup-bid-makes-leadership-changes

http://www.united2026.com/newsletter/unitedbid/english

34 minutes ago, sloth8 said:

Sunil Gulati has stepped down as chairman of the United Bid Committee. Instead, the three federation presidents will be elevated to co-chairs and have equal responsibility to represent the bid and lobby other member associations on its behalf.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/3408773/north-american-2026-world-cup-bid-makes-leadership-changes

http://www.united2026.com/newsletter/unitedbid/english

Clearly Sam Borden's story has merit.  The Americans wouldn't cede ground like this unless it was absolutely necessary to de-Yankify the bid..  

5 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Clearly Sam Borden's story has merit.  The Americans wouldn't cede ground like this unless it was absolutely necessary to de-Yankify the bid..  

Thus far just optics though -- no changes to the actual bid.

When they announce we are now getting 15 matches including a quarter and a semi, that will be a material change that indicates it really is a join effort rather than a US World Cup being presented as a join effort.

4 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Vancouver pulling out of WC bid?:

BC place doesnt have a natural grass surface and the organizers problably said that the bid is much more sell-able to FIFA if all stadiums had a natural surface.  The cost argument likely just an excuse to save face and detract.  

They have never, to my knowledge,  played a mens world cup match played on a non-natural surface.   Before someone brings up the Pontiac Silverdome in 1994,  pls be aware that they had trucked in a natural grass surface for that one game only. 

12 minutes ago, PunjabiOil said:

^
Montreal (Big O) doesn't have natural grass, neither does Commonwealth.

All cities had planned for natural grass surface for the 2026.

Just curious,  do you have source for this?    Maybe i am wrong but this the first i have heard of plans to put natural grass in the big O and Commonwealth.  

I follow media reports out of montreal, and have never heard of this.  I can imagine the kind of effort it would take to convert the big o to natural grass.   It has a concrete ground and natural grass needs to have water drain. 

Edit:.  Unless they do like they did inthe Silverdome in 1994. Or for the one- off matches at skydome.  But that surface only holds up for one match. Maybe two max.

4 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

They can put a temporary grass field in the Big O. The Impact did it years ago vs Milan 

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/montreal-gazette/20100529/295274707602733

6CB41056-D28A-40C2-B647-3ED8142EDE7D.jpeg

Yes, they also did it at Skydome for the match versus Liverpool.   Its not cheap to do. from everything i know, it has one time use only.  The number 80k bucks seems to ring a bell with me. 

Point i am trying to make is that it was suggested by a poster that “all cities had planned to install grass”..  as if it was fait accompli.   But discussions and planning havent even reached that level of detail.  Maybe they will, who knows?

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Just curious,  do you have source for this?    Maybe i am wrong but this the first i have heard of plans to put natural grass in the big O and Commonwealth.  

I follow media reports out of montreal, and have never heard of this.  I can imagine the kind of effort it would take to convert the big o to natural grass.   It has a concrete ground and natural grass needs to have water drain. 

I think it`s mostly expected most stadiums use grass in the US (I`m not sure if it`s true for all of them) and all 3 in Mexico use it too. And FIFA senior World Cups require matches to be played on the same surface. 

13 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

I think it`s mostly expected most stadiums use grass in the US (I`m not sure if it`s true for all of them) and all 3 in Mexico use it too. And FIFA senior World Cups require matches to be played on the same surface. 

Yes.  The Quebec gov’t recently announced plans to replace the roof at the Big O.  And, correct me if i am wrong,  it wont be retractable.  Hence no sunlight for the grass.  It will have to be trucked in, i would imagine.   Now they will have to sell that notion to the organizers. 

I just re read the article feom global tv.  And it clearly says, that they will have to install a grass surface.  So that settles that. I missed that part. 

This is the key piece: 

“The costs to host games are significant. The province is in charge of BC Place through PAVCO and would be responsible for putting in a natural grass field, changes to parking, security and the cost of using the facility. Part of the ongoing negotiations is that B.C. has not come to a point where it is happy with a stadium agreement.

Horgan says the province submitted a bid last week, that was rejected by the unified bid committee.”

Which means that Montreal will face the same challenge.  

From the Global article.

"If the government did pass up the bid, it was the wrong move said local ticket broker Kingsley Baily. He said all the government has to do is look back at the 2015 women’s world cup when Vancouver hosted several games.

“I did not have enough tickets, I was scrambling to find tickets,” said Baily."

Ticket broker? Is this a scalper? I sure hope this guy is more legitimate than just some scalper.

Also thought this was a bit funny. "I’d love to see soccer games at BC Place. Let’s bring soccer to Vancouver in 2026 but let’s also ensure cost to taxpayers is not out of control." Makes me wonder if the Premier is aware there is a soccer team that plays in BC Place.

15 hours ago, Free kick said:

Yes.  The Quebec gov’t recently announced plans to replace the roof at the Big O.  And, correct me if i am wrong,  it wont be retractable.  Hence no sunlight for the grass.  It will have to be trucked in, i would imagine.   Now they will have to sell that notion to the organizers. 

The new roof won't be retractable but will be designed to make it easy to remove if needed. 2026 would be justified to remove the roof and reinstall it after the competition

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Ticket broker? Is this a scalper? I sure hope this guy is more legitimate than just some scalper.

What would a legitimate "ticket broker" do? ;)

Archived