2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

They would not accept an eight country bid in the first place!

Yes I know, that was an extreme example, but it came from the fact that we are hosting 1/8th of the World Cup (if I remember the numbers correctly). There probably needs to be some rules in place. Like would they allow a Germany, Switzerland, and Luxembourg tournament, with Luxembourg hosting 3 games and have them qualify automatically? A bid like that seems like a pity invite for Luxembourg and the Canada/USA/Mexico bid isn't all that far away from a pity invite.

You say an 8 country bid wouldn't be accepted, but would a 7? 6? 5? 4? What makes 3 a magic number?

Anyways, i agree with everyone that we are most likely getting a spot if the bid wins. I am just not comfortable saying outright that either

A: The bid will win

or

B: If the bid wins we will definitely automatically qualify

I'll wait until FIFA says those things before I am counting chickens.

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Yes I know, that was an extreme example, but it came from the fact that we are hosting 1/8th of the World Cup (if I remember the numbers correctly). There probably needs to be some rules in place. Like would they allow a Germany, Switzerland, and Luxembourg tournament, with Luxembourg hosting 3 games and have them qualify automatically? A bid like that seems like a pity invite for Luxembourg and the Canada/USA/Mexico bid isn't all that far away from a pity invite.

You say an 8 country bid wouldn't be accepted, but would a 7? 6? 5? 4? What makes 3 a magic number?

Again, as it currently stands, the number of spots comes out of your region's total.  So if Europe was fine with 7 countries hosting and every one of them getting a spot, then go for it.  If they want to give a spot to Luxembourg, that's fine.  I'd say the limit is going to be determined more by the number of spots each region has than by a magic number.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Again, as it currently stands, the number of spots comes out of your region's total.  So if Europe was fine with 7 countries hosting and every one of them getting a spot, then go for it.  If they want to give a spot to Luxembourg, that's fine.  I'd say the limit is going to be determined more by the number of spots each region has than by a magic number.

That's a fair point.

I still maintain my stance that I am not counting chickens before they hatch, because this time around is different from previous tournaments. It's the first time 3 nations are bidding together, and it's the first time there is an uneven split of the number of games per country. The fact that the tournament is expanding is helpful in terms of there still being some spots up for grabs for CONCACAF, instead of just a half a spot if the current numbers were still in effect.

42 minutes ago, Rheo said:

"New top boss Bill Manning told the Toronto Sun this week he’s considering tarping off the upper deck at BMO to consolidate Toronto Argonauts crowds into the lower bowl.

"We’re going to do what soccer teams do (in football stadiums), when they tarp off the upper decks,” Manning said. “We’re going to do the same thing. It’s going to be a lower bowl. Let’s fill the lower bowl first and then worry about filling the upper deck.” "

What a time to be a soccer fan. 1990's Kent would never believe this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Robert said:

With all the speculation here, would it be reasonable to assume that if the bid is successful, that the final match will be played on US soil? Or does Toronto still have a chance?

100% Toronto does not have a chance. 

16 minutes ago, Kent said:

I forget, but isn’t it like from the quarter-finals on are all hosted by USA? So we could have group stage, round of 32 (remember that it’s expanded), and round of 16.

So Mexico City and Toronto will not get any matches beyond the round of 16? If so, it doesn't really sound fair to me. Like who died and made the US chief? (Hopefully, in this politically-correct country I live, that last comment isn't perceived as being racist.)

3 hours ago, Robert said:

So Mexico City and Toronto will not get any matches beyond the round of 16? If so, it doesn't really sound fair to me. Like who died and made the US chief? (Hopefully, in this politically-correct country I live, that last comment isn't perceived as being racist.)

I mean, this was always an American bid. If Trump doesn't get elected, they don't ask for us to join in the first place. All three of the bids representatives to FIFA are American.

15 minutes ago, Robert said:

Technically, the third place game does not count as being "beyond the round of 16" because it is a placement game. Therefore, Canada or Mexico could still host that, but it is unlikely. If the US gets all the knock out stage games then they will probably get third place as well.

34 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I mean, this was always an American bid. If Trump doesn't get elected, they don't ask for us to join in the first place. All three of the bids representatives to FIFA are American.

Not according to the CBC article below. Mt. Vic, Mt. Pete and Steven Reed are representing Canada in this bid, and if FIFA adheres to the principle of consistency in the bidding process, that's not how the matches were divied-up between South Korea and Japan.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/2026-world-cup-joint-bid-1.4193622

3 Canadians in key roles for 2026 FIFA World Cup bid

'Condensed' timeline for country's joint bid with U.S. and Mexico

Neil Davidson · The Canadian Press · July 6, 2017

montopoli-peter-070617.jpg?imwidth=720
Canadian Soccer Association general secretary Peter Montopoli will quarterback Canada's part of the 2026 World Cup bid. (Nathan Denette/The Canadian Press)

The CONCACAF joint bid for the 2026 World Cup now has a board of directors and an executive team. What lies ahead is a lot of work in a short time frame.

Canada, Mexico and the U.S. will learn Aug. 11 whether they have competition to host the newly expanded world showcase of men's soccer. Deadline for submitting the formal bid to FIFA is March 16, 2018, with the winner slated to be announced in June.

"Very condensed," Peter Montopoli, general secretary of the Canadian Soccer Association and the man who will quarterback Canada's part of the bid, said of the timeline. "It's everybody working together, all hands on deck, to make this happen for the united bid by March 16, there's no doubt about it. Certainly there's not the luxury of time.

"But in viewing these things, it's not necessarily a bad thing as well because it gives everybody who wishes to be engaged the necessary momentum to get things done in an accelerated time frame. If the will is there, we believe it can get done."

The three countries have been working on the bid since it was formally announced April 10. On Thursday they added some flesh to the framework.

Working together

The 10-member unified bid committee board includes three Canadians in Montopoli, CSA president Steven Reed and Victor Montagliani, CONCACAF president and FIFA vice-president. The U.S. is represented by board chairman Sunil Gulati, Carlos Cordeiro, Donna Shalala, Dan Flynn and MLS commissioner Don Garber while Decio De Maria and Guillermo Cantu represent Mexico

Montopoli will serve as Canada bid director with Yon De Luisa, vice-president of the Televisa media company, as his Mexico counterpart. John Kristick has been hired as executive director for the united bid committee with Jim Brown as managing director in charge of technical operations.

The four-person executive team, entrusted with day-to-day administration of the bid process, reports to the board.

Montopoli plans to reach out to Canadian mayors next week to begin the process of determining their interest and whether they meet requirements.

The three countries have already agreed on a division of games with Canada and Mexico hosting 10 each with the remaining 60 going to the U.S., including all knockout matches.

"We'd certainly like to get in as many venues as possible within the bid," said Montopoli.

It is standard procedure to include more potential host cities than required, with FIFA making the ultimate decision on which ones will be chosen.

FIFA gets the final say because it's "their competition at the end of the day."

"Right now we're concentrated on winning the bid," Montopoli added.

FIFA has issued general guidelines on what is needed. More thorough information will follow the August deadline.

'For our country'

The three CONCACAF nations can also draw on their own history, having hosted 13 FIFA World Cups combined (including men's, women and youth).

Most recently Canada hosted the Women's World Cup in 2015, drawing record crowds, which Montopoli says means many of the necessary contacts are already in place.

Montopoli also noted that Canadians ranked in the top 10 of countries when it came to buying tickets for the last two men's World Cups — and No. 1 among countries that were not part of the field.

"It just shows you what the interest is of a men's World Cup in Canada for Canadians. And it's our right to try and get this for our country, for our fans, for our people."

The 2026 men's tournament will mark the first with 48 teams, up from the current 32.

Montopoli says there is no bid budget as of yet.

"But I can assure everybody that it will be a financially responsible bid, no doubt," he said.

10 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

It is so.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/10/world-cup-2026-host-bid-usa-canada-mexico-football

Nobody died, the US have simply implemented the bullying tactics they always use and since nobody has the guts to stand up to them we all get trodden underfoot. CSA I'm looking at you. (To be fair, there was no chance of a joint Mexico/Canada bid unless Mexico were up for it, and perhaps they were not; but I seriously doubt that the CSA investigated this option because, well, they are useless.)

I imagine the US were prepared to bid alone but throwing a few crumbs to us and Mexico serves the dual purpose of further legitimising THEIR bid in the eyes of FIFA and eliminating any possibility that we and/or Mexico would enter a competing bid.

Make no mistake, this is a USA bid. Canada and Mexico are just along for the ride, at the whim of the US.

In other words, Mt. Vic doesn't have the balls, or to use your words, "the guts" to stand up to the US.

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

t is standard procedure to include more potential host cities than required, with FIFA making the ultimate decision on which ones will be chosen.

FIFA gets the final say because it's "their competition at the end of the day."

Any chance FIFA finds this "North America" bid unbalanced and force a better distribution of games among the 3 nations? 

40-20-20 would have made more sense including knockouts. 

If not, fine. but next time it's CONCACAF turns (2040s), I can't see Mexico and Canada agreeing to another co-bid after how greedy the USSF got. Thanks to CPL, we should have built more soccer infrastructure and both Mexico and US would be asking for a 3rd hosting rights. 

Just now, Ansem said:

Any chance FIFA finds this "North America" bid unbalanced and force a better distribution of games among the 3 nations? 

40-20-20 would have made more sense including knockouts. 

If not, fine. but next time it's CONCACAF turns (2040s), I can't see Mexico and Canada agreeing to another co-bid after how greedy the USSF got. Thanks to CPL, we should have built more soccer infrastructure and both Mexico and US would be asking for a 3rd hosting rights. 

I think the solo bid is going to die in the 48 team era (aside from future US and China bids) but you actually bring up an interesting thing here that we don't really talk about.

Now I know you said the CPL will improve infrastructure but I actually think this is how the CPL wins from the 2026 WC: the construction of training grounds. Every team gets a base and it's likely several will be based here and as teams are usually fairly spread out it's unlikely you'r going to see like 4 teams based in Toronto. Cities like Hamilton, Quebec, Halifax, Victoria could easily score these sorts of facilities.

12 minutes ago, Robert said:

In other words, Mt. Vic doesn't have the balls, or to use your words, "the guts" to stand up to the US.

I always finding it interesting to go back into the archives to see if what I predicted has materialized. Even the title of the following thread is bang on:

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/24162-does-victor-have-the-balls/?tab=comments#comment-427690

3 minutes ago, matty said:

I think the solo bid is going to die in the 48 team era (aside from future US and China bids) but you actually bring up an interesting thing here that we don't really talk about.

Now I know you said the CPL will improve infrastructure but I actually think this is how the CPL wins from the 2026 WC: the construction of training grounds. Every team gets a base and it's likely several will be based here and as teams are usually fairly spread out it's unlikely you'r going to see like 4 teams based in Toronto. Cities like Hamilton, Quebec, Halifax, Victoria could easily score these sorts of facilities.

A bunch of Euro nations could still bid solo rather easily. Let's not forget that the CSA was prepared to go solo for a 32 team tournament. 48 teams derailed it but having more stadiums by the 2040s would be mean that we could solo host and should because if you think the US won't go solo past 2026, you're mistaken. They will bid every time it will be CONCACAF turn and next times might not have a Trump forcing them to include Canada and Mexico.

So e really don't have a choice but to be ready for a solo bid next time around.

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

A bunch of Euro nations could still bid solo rather easily. Let's not forget that the CSA was prepared to go solo for a 32 team tournament. 48 teams derailed it but having more stadiums by the 2040s would be mean that we could solo host and should because if you think the US won't go solo past 2026, you're mistaken. They will bid every time it will be CONCACAF turn and next times might not have a Trump forcing them to include Canada and Mexico.

So e really don't have a choice but to be ready for a solo bid next time around.

I said the US would likely try more solo bids (along with China), I just don't see the same thing happening with other nations (including Canada, the stadiums you're talking about will likely be far too small for WC).

I could see us trying other formats of joint bids with the US, large scale CONCACAF, UK maybe but a solo bid seems pretty unlikely. Could happen but it feels like a long shot.

6 minutes ago, Robert said:

I always finding it interesting to go back into the archives to see if what I predicted has materialized. Even the title of the following thread is bang on:

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/forums/topic/24162-does-victor-have-the-balls/?tab=comments#comment-427690

Don't know what your play is but until Infantino changed the tournament to a 48 teams WC, the CSA was set to bid solo. Also, when he threatened MLS of de-sanctioning them in Canada if the status of domestic players wasn't improved for Canadians, he showed more balls than any Canadians in authority in recent history since what... 

Chretien calling Bush a moron and refusing to go to Iraq? Martin saying no to the Missile shield thing? Pierre-Elliot Trudeau showing the middle finger to Nixon and starting a bromance with Castro? 

It was quite refreshing to see. 

Going back on topic, Montagliani was wearing the CONCACAF president hat when the united bid came forward. That Infantino change to the World Cup threw a wrench in Canada's plan and although the US need it's neibhours to get the world cup, Canada and Mexico had little leverage. The US knew that both nations couldn't put forward a 48 team bid in such a short time.

Hence, that's why I think a Canadian bid for the next CONCACAF window could challenge a US solo bid easily.

Archived