2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

A sport such as soccer that skews in interest terms towards the younger generations has more growth potential than one such as Canadian football that has the opposite demographic trend at the moment in interest terms. That's not rocket science. Given 2/3rds of MLSE's owners also own the Argos I don't doubt a viable long term solution for the Argos would have to be identified and delivered if BMO Field is used in 2026, so I am not advocating the death of the CFL or anything like that. Just want what is best for Canadian soccer and make no apology for that given this is a Canadian soccer board.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would anyone happen to know why Michigan Stadium was left off of the list of potential venues? It's the second largest stadium in the world and largest in North America. It hosted an International Champions Cup match back in 2014 where there was a sell out crowd of 109,318 people. If they can get natural grass it seems like a logical choice. Why isn't it on the list? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 5:49 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

The permanent thing is baloney.  How many games has TFC sold out?  Interesting theory how people who don't watch soccer somehow translates into people watching soccer..

If you look at buying tickets for TFC games they're usually is only like 15 tickets left a few days before the game and sometimes they're sold out before that. I Looked a week ago and there was like 100 tickets left for the entire end of the season and ticketmaster also lets you resell tickets so for all we know TFC already has their portion of those tickets.(Looking back I can confirm different seats are on sale so some on the ~100 tickets left have already been sold by TFC and are being resold). They could 100% support more seats, many of the seats available are expensive and more fairly priced seats would surely sell. 

1 minute ago, Rheo said:

My guess is that they just realized it wasn't practically feasible and moved on.

Well, it is feasible, but not worth the trouble to do all that work for like 2-3 games, plus I think the stadium can't be used like a month before the world cup. Really not worth it unless we had the whole tournament

I just hope there is some lasting positive legacy for soccer if this bid does win. For example, if BMO field gets expanded, I hope those extra seats get used outside of World Cup matches so they aren't just a drag on the stadium. If BC Place gets grass, I hope it's permanent so VWFC (and Canada) don't have to play on artificial turf anymore, not some sort of temporary grass solution that is taken out after the tournament. If Stade Olympique is picked, I hope the roof situation actually gets fixed in a way that the city of Montreal can be proud of, and make better use of, that stadium.

Canada will have to spend a lot of fucking money if the joint bid is picked as hosts 

BC Place:

- Pretty good for the most part, change turf to Natural Grass 

Commonwealth Stadium:

- Exact Same as BC Place.

Mosaic Stadium:

- Add an extra 7,000 seats so the capacity goes from 33 to 40 thousand minimum

- Change Turf to Natural Grass

BMO Field:

- Expand to 40,000 seating capacity 

Olympic Stadium:

- Major Renovations are needed due to how old it is. Has to change a lot of things

- Natural Grass

TD Place:

- How the hell did you get in? 

What are you suppose to do with a 24.000 seat Stadium 

Only two of those are actually really needed given the number of games involved and it's unlikely FIFA will want/allow more than three venues as each added venue cuts into their profit margin. Regina and Ottawa are not serious contenders on this, so the only question really is whether Edmonton gets in because money won't be spent in Toronto and/or Montreal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soccer-insider/wp/2017/09/07/north-americas-2026-world-cup-bid-takes-another-step/?utm_term=.ee75b7f77b7d

...The United Bid Committee will review venue submissions over several weeks before announcing an initial short list this fall. It will then select between 20 and 25 for inclusion in the formal bid, which is due to FIFA by March 18....If the North American effort is successful, the committee would then work with FIFA in coming years to finalize at least 12 stadiums. Because the 2026 tournament will be the first with an expanded field of 48 teams (a 50 percent increase), the North American event seems likely to have at least 16 venues...All three Mexican bidding cities (Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey) are widely expected to host matches. Canada wants three locations but will probably settle for two, with Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal as the front-runners among six interested cities...

Toronto is definitely hosting World cup.  Tim L pushed MLSE to spend big on BMO field so they can host World Cup.  Even Toronto mayor talked about this couple of years back.   Also, MLSE has plans to continue rebuilding BMO field in the near future.  So they can even ask for government to pitch in to add more seats while make Southend a general admission area with safe standing.  Plus, having natural pitch sure helps your bid.   

5 hours ago, Mike Thompson said:

Even if CONCACAF did change the WCQ format, what would some of the new structure look like? 

Hopefully by the time we reach 2019 our FIFA ranking has improved a ton and we no longer have to play a two leg series in the second round. 

First off, I believe they usually use the ranking as of shortly after the previous World Cup, so our 2019 ranking is unlikely to factor into it at all. Secondly, we only have friendlies until that time, so we will not improve our ranking much at all. The only way our ranking could improve somewhat significantly would be if they changed the ranking procedure (there was talk about this possibility this week) in such a way that we benefit more than our CONCACAF rivals.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived