2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jith12 said:

Hold on. So we aren't guaranteed to play in the World Cup if we do end up hosting it? What kind of a joke it that!

It's always not been a sure thing since the bid was declared.  They figure it will happen but it's not a sure thing since a three nation bid has never done before.

2 minutes ago, Rheo said:

It's always not been a sure thing since the bid was declared.  They figure it will happen but it's not a sure thing since a three nation bid has never done before.

I never got that memo. It would suck if we could manage to host the World Cup but not be able to play in it.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Say you're sorry. I don't want to have this conversation. It ends with me sending you hundreds of pictures of Doug firs and saying nice things about Portland. :)

Have at it your sack of wine. As long as the west has LA it will always be inferior. 

Edit: Sack of Wine is the funniest insult ever

24 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

So will Montreal need to submit renovation plans before the next stage?

It's unclear when the next stage is or how many cities will be cut. The bid is bringing all 32 of these cities to the vote at the FIFA Congress in June 2018. The cities for the World Cup don't need to be officially finalized until June of 2022.

10 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

It's unclear when the next stage is or how many cities will be cut. The bid is bringing all 32 of these cities to the vote at the FIFA Congress in June 2018. The cities for the World Cup don't need to be officially finalized until June of 2022.

I see, I see. 

I'm wondering how much the city of Montreal is willing to spend on renovations to the big O. It'll have to be a sizeable amount if they really want to make it a modern facility worthy of hosting world cup games. At which point, why not just make a new 40k stadium downtown or somewhere close to it. 

3 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

I see, I see. 

I'm wondering how much the city of Montreal is willing to spend on renovations to the big O. It'll have to be a sizeable amount if they really want to make it a modern facility worthy of hosting world cup games. At which point, why not just make a new 40k stadium downtown or somewhere close to it. 

Gotta make sure it meets MLB specs too

1 hour ago, matty said:

Imma bet on Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal. Seattle, LA and San Fran are gonna make it too busy on the West Coast

The US bid committee singled out Vancouver as an example of pairing up cities for the group stage (with Seattle).  You're kidding yourself if you don't think it's getting some World Cup games.

Just now, Watchmen said:

The US bid committee singled out Vancouver as an example of pairing up cities for the group stage (with Seattle).  You're kidding yourself if you don't think it's getting some World Cup games.

Yea I don't care about that I just want Vancouverites to rage post

1 hour ago, matty said:

Imma bet on Edmonton, Toronto and Montreal. Seattle, LA and San Fran are gonna make it too busy on the West Coast

Where does Victor Montagliani come from again and which Canadian airports have most regular direct flights to other host cities? Suspect Edmonton are only in there as a spare in case there are problems putting the finances together elsewhere. They ultimately only really need two, so at least one more will get dropped prior to 2026.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Where does Victor Montagliani come from again and which Canadian airports have most regular direct flights to other host cities? Suspect Edmonton are only in there as a spare in case there are problems putting the finances together elsewhere. They ultimately only really need two, so at least one more will get dropped prior to 2026.

see above post

2 hours ago, matty said:

Or perfect as one of the biggest concerns for this World Cup is travel time

Archived