2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

Teams only have to comfirm their interest in bidding apparently. Chile, Colombia, and Morocco. Got this all from Wikipedia before anyone asks

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see BC place,   Commonwealth  stadium ( with  massive upgrades ), BMO or  Rogers centre, and  Olympic stadium ( with massive upgrades/ renovations ) 

Olympic Stadium could be really amazing if they did it right which I question ? I wish they would turn that into a national stadium like other countries, you can host rugby games ( World Cup maybe) , huge track and field  competitions , host national soccer games. That doesn't mean others cities won't get other games. 

7 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Huge no from me to have a World Cup game in a Baseball stadium

Bmo might be too small, a  stadium needs to be minimum 40,000 ?  And I thought I read that theymaybe increasing  it to 50,000 

can they  upgrade BMO again ?

41 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

And I thought I read that theymaybe increasing  it to 50,000 

I hadn't heard this.

41 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

can they  upgrade BMO again ?

Can they upgrade? Yes. Will they upgrade? I would guess that if World Cup came to town they definitely would and as long as MLS and TFC keep up the success they have had recently then they would want the upgrade also.

They are going to upgrade BMO within 8 years and  expand capacity ? ( yes they can bring temp seating but that's so make shift). Also can TFC sell 40,000+ tickets for a MLS game ? I'm not from Toronto so I don't know , I know when I have been to a few TFC games it's wasn't sold out. 

9 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Also can TFC sell 40,000+ tickets for a MLS game ? I'm not from Toronto so I don't know , I know when I have been to a few TFC games it's wasn't sold out. 

I don't think so. They'd likely add as many temporary seats as possible, and if they have to expand by 4,000 seats they'll be fine. Even if they have to tarp off some seats for the smaller regular season games like Seattle, NYRB and Atlanta do, they'll definitely sell them for the playoffs. 

I'm curious what TFC attendance will be like in that kind of time frame. Attendance is strong now but not exactly showing any need to add more seats (playoffs aside). Will the club be able to sustain good form for several years? Will attendance shrink significantly if the team stops being a legitimate contender? Only time will tell.

32 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm curious what TFC attendance will be like in that kind of time frame. Attendance is strong now but not exactly showing any need to add more seats (playoffs aside). Will the club be able to sustain good form for several years? Will attendance shrink significantly if the team stops being a legitimate contender? Only time will tell.

Given the ongoing growth of the sport in North America, I suspect attendance numbers will keep growing even if on-field performances lag a bit.  As MLS both moves more mainstream, and gets increasingly recognized as a legit footy league among fans of the global game, it will continue to grow.  As much as I have bitched about the domestics issue and Garber's half-assed efforts re Canada in the past, the reality is that we have 3 teams in what will likely be a world class league within another couple of decades.  That may not be awesome in terms of advancing CPL, but it has a lot of merit on its own.  And in a decade I think MLS will have generally continued gaining exposure and fan support.

51 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Morocco officially sends in bid to host

Have to admire their perserverance on this and not giving up after repeated failure. If Africa backs them they have enough of a voting block behind them to be a bit of a threat and they can use timezone argument to argue that they are a better fit for Europe in broadcasting terms, but think Mexico-US-Canada will still win easily as FIFA tends to follow the money.

It irritates me how those opposed to the NA bid keep bringing up travel as a huge problem. There is one good point they bring up though, why doesn't the USA just host it itself? Was it just to avoid Canada and Mexico doing seperate bids?

17 minutes ago, canta15 said:

It irritates me how those opposed to the NA bid keep bringing up travel as a huge problem. There is one good point they bring up though, why doesn't the USA just host it itself? Was it just to avoid Canada and Mexico doing seperate bids?

yes because as we've seen morocco likely has all of caf behind it

5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Really?  Could happen now, just need the will to do it.

Except for the fact of a lack of will from governments and majority of Canadians to use tax dollars to pay for stadiums that will be for the most part obsolete after the Cup.  The combined bid is the best thing to happen to Canadian soccer and blows my mind that people still don't appreciate it.

8 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Interesting note that Mexico has announced that they are having their 10 games in 3 cities, Mexico City, Monterrey, and Guadalajara.

USSF President Sunil Gulati announced that all of the cities will be announced next week.

Soon will be Canada's turn

2 hours ago, Rheo said:

Except for the fact of a lack of will from governments and majority of Canadians to use tax dollars to pay for stadiums that will be for the most part obsolete after the Cup.  The combined bid is the best thing to happen to Canadian soccer and blows my mind that people still don't appreciate it.

I'll bite. I'm one of the doubters, so apart from allowing us to qualify for the WC, shortcutting a process the men have only succeeded at once, what does hosting one eighth of a World Cup do for Canadian soccer?

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'll bite. I'm one of the doubters, so apart from allowing us to qualify for the WC, shortcutting a process the men have only succeeded at once, what does hosting one eighth of a World Cup do for Canadian soccer?

nation watches every game that happens here and follows canada's progress. national pride, raised interest in men's soccer
millions in supports that goes to cpl and other projects
money saved on stadiums
montreal gets the expos back

1 minute ago, matty said:

nation watches every game that happens here and follows canada's progress. national pride, raised interest in men's soccer
millions in supports that goes to cpl and other projects
money saved on stadiums
montreal gets the expos back

This is certainly an optimistic view.

Archived