2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, masster said:

I guess now we know why Canada did not bother with a solo bid and had to take whatever crumbs they could.

mov9xmQl_normal.png Times Sport (@TimesSport)
Fifa will lose £230m in TV rights money if the 2026 World Cup is not hosted by the US, writes @martynzieglerthetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/… pic.twitter.com/haDNLPehEU

Negativity sells i guess. Should probably read "FIFA stands to make extra £230M in TV money with USA 2026 WC."

From the Bloomberg article:

Canada’s Bell Media also received the rights to the 2026 tournament, with a $5 million additional fee if World Cup games were played in Canada. At the time, the country wasn’t considered likely to host on its own, and FIFA’s then president Sepp Blatter wasn’t a fan of multi-country proposals

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-30/fox-telemundo-set-for-500-million-windfall-on-2026-world-cup

14 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

From the Bloomberg article:

Canada’s Bell Media also received the rights to the 2026 tournament, with a $5 million additional fee if World Cup games were played in Canada. At the time, the country wasn’t considered likely to host on its own, and FIFA’s then president Sepp Blatter wasn’t a fan of multi-country proposals

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-30/fox-telemundo-set-for-500-million-windfall-on-2026-world-cup

So SBT paid $35 million extra becuase the 2014 was held in Brazil, Bell will pay $5 million because there will be games in Canada, Telemundo and Fox will pay just under $300 million if the tournament is chiefly in the US.

Why hold a World Cup anywhere other than the US? Christ.

EDIT: Wonder how much the Chinese market will be worth soon.

The interesting part from the Bloomberg article is that even with the $300 million bonus, FIFA lost out on potentially $500M more by not opening it up for auction to rival bidders.  Fox and Telemundo were threatening to sue over the 2022 WC move from summer to winter and this was the way of dodging an enormous lawsuit.

• 2 weeks later...

“We won’t have stadiums falling down or grass growing over top of them.” I know what he meant but maybe a poorly phrased comment after the 2015 WWC :)

So they talked about 40k minimum, and 4 cities. Among current stadiums I believe we only have 4 that can hold 40k. Commonwealth in Edmonton, Olympic in Montreal, BC Place in Vancouver, and Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Stadiums that are between 30k and 40k are McMahon in Calgary, Investors Group in Winnipeg, Mosaic in Regina, and BMO in Toronto.

So the stadiums will either need grass put in (Commonwealth stadium uses artificial turf right?), seating expansion, or both. And they'll need this for 2 or 3 games if the games are spread evenly between cities. I guess grass getting put in at BC Place would at least leave a legacy for the Whitecaps. Not sure any other stadium upgrades would directly help soccer long term in Canada, unless we see a best case scenario pan out and TFC being able to utilize a further expanded BMO field (or the Impact needing a greatly expanded Saputo in Montreal).

I assumed the quote it was a response to those who thought we should go it alone lol.  I had no problem with the bluntness of it :)

Any grass would be temporary I would assume if it was in Rogers Centre or BC Place, like they did for the Silverdome when the US hosted.  I know the Jays have been looking at ways to do grass in there permanently but it seems like it's a long way away if ever possible.  Did a quick look for an article and found this

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/the-challenges-of-coverting-to-a-natural-grass-playing-surface-at-rogers-centre

It's from 2016 and found a bit of an update here

https://bluejaysnation.com/2017/02/13/don-t-hold-your-breath-for-rogers-centre-grass/

I personally would hate it if Rogers centre hosts as it was made for baseball. Would rather have it at BMO if it can be expanded

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎01 at 9:37 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The interesting part from the Bloomberg article is that even with the $300 million bonus, FIFA lost out on potentially $500M more by not opening it up for auction to rival bidders.  Fox and Telemundo were threatening to sue over the 2022 WC move from summer to winter and this was the way of dodging an enormous lawsuit.

That's actually happening?

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Do you really think Canada could bid against USA head to head and win?

There's lots of delusion on here lol.  

Seriously though Paul Beirne put it best in the interview on the Cosh Cast and this is paraphrased, given our level of soccer infrastructure (and the lack of public and political will to publicly subsidize the stadiums needed for a solo bid) here 10 games is way more than we deserve.  The CSA did well to get what we got, although yeah a knock out game would've been nice.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yes, this was announced a while back. I actually thought it was last year but here is an article from March of 2015!

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/2356570/fifa-approves-winter-world-cup-for-qatar-in-2022-sets-final-for-dec-18

Although technically the tournament would actually be in the fall.

you are very technical with your seasons aren't you. When someone says what are the fall months you say October, November, and December

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reminder, the fast-track new FIFA deadline is Friday to:

"inviting initially the member associations of CONCACAF, CAF, CONMEBOL and the OFC to express their interest by 11 August 2017 to submit to FIFA a bid to host the final competition of the 2026 FIFA World Cup."

http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2017/m=5/news=fifa-congress-confirms-next-steps-of-the-bidding-process-for-the-2026--2883665.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news_top

Has anybody taken that step? If nobody does by the end of Friday (except CONCACAF) the USA-Mexico-Canada bid wins I guess.

Archived