2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote from Gulati outlining the financial windfall that will benefit all FIFA nations.  Finances dictated this bid, and the makeup of the where the games are being played.

“A World Cup in North America with 60 games in the United States will be by far the most successful World Cup in the history of FIFA in terms of economics,” said Gulati. “We’ve got 500 million people in these three countries. This will be an extraordinarily successful World Cup on financial and economic grounds, and that’s critical because most of FIFA’s revenues come from one event. 

"The 209 people [national federations] voting all get funds from FIFA, and so they should also recognize that FIFA’s finances, on which many countries rely, will be greatly enhanced by a tournament in North America.”

18 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Plenty of rumours that 2017 will be the last edition. 

Not sure if this is because no one cares or because it's in Russia http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/russia-fifa-2017-confederations-cup-sales-poor-a7678956.html

Also have read no one wants to buy the TV rights in Russia

If the thing is a dud this year I think you're right

3 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Saw this on the Southsiders Forum.  Can't really say that this will benefit Canada or Mexico at all.  I thought Mont Vic had bigger balls and aspirations for Canada to got at it alone, if thats the deal he struck with the US.  I say Canada needs to go at it alone, all in, no sharing, if we truly need to benefit from a Men's World Cup.  I'm sure the US will put a competitive edge too, but if we want to grow the grassroots, needs more venues for games.

C9EmD24XoAA72T5.jpg

I thought the US were getting all the games past the quarters?

2 hours ago, dsqpr said:

-- Big clubs such as Bayern Munich and Manchester City already play on a mixed surface that is a combination of grass and artificial turf so by 2026 who knows what surface could be acceptable.

I don't get why we can't just add grass turf to the two or three stadiums that will be hosting. People on this forum (including me) thought we could easily put in money to expand and build new stadiums

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I don't get why we can't just add grass turf to the two or three stadiums that will be hosting. People on this forum (including me) thought we could easily put in money to expand and build new stadiums

The "mixed surface" he spoke of is in fact 97% grass.  You start with grass and insert nylon fibres into the root zone to increase durability. 

14 hours ago, canta15 said:

I thought the US were getting all the games past the quarters?

You are mostly correct. USA is getting that but also the quarters.

Kristian Jack had a good theory about the games Canada would get in an article he wrote yesterday. He was saying 6 group games, then 2 round of 32 games, which would be the games that the first and second place teams in Canada's group would play in, guaranteeing that Canada would still be playing at home if we were to advance out of the group. Then we would also get the 2 games for the winners of those two round of 32 games in the round of 16. So with this allocation Canada would be guaranteed to play all of its games in Canada unless we have the most improbable quarter final run in the history of the tournament.

3 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Some noise out of Montreal that they're willing to put money into a stadium that could get them world cup games. at this point it really is just noise.

Believe me...i know my people...they will just because Toronto and Vancouver will get games.

They'll need to use the 1976 configuration using the entire bowl, not just 3/4 of it like they've done up until now.

By doing that alone they could reach 70k

The roof has to be removed.

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Believe me...i know my people...they will just because Toronto and Vancouver will get games.

They'll need to use the 1976 configuration using the entire bowl, not just 3/4 of it like they've done up until now.

By doing that alone they could reach 70k

The roof has to be removed.

Could Olympic realistically be salvaged into a useable venue? Kinda do what Vancouver did with BC place?

It would be a shame to have to knock it down.

5 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Could Olympic realistically be salvaged into a useable venue? Kinda do what Vancouver did with BC place?

It would be a shame to have to knock it down.

Define salvaged.

Modern looking? That ship has sailed unless you throw hundred of millions which only a solo bid would justify.

In term of capacity, you can't ignore it though

Here's the thing about the Big O if they can find a way to tie a remodel into a baseball facility for the Expos and the WC I think it would fly...but is that feasible from a monetary standpoint? I know Montreal wants World Cup games but do they want to pour all that money into the Big O if its just for the WC? 

2 minutes ago, mrstepp817 said:

Here's the thing about the Big O if they can find a way to tie a remodel into a baseball facility for the Expos and the WC I think it would fly...but is that feasible from a monetary standpoint? I know Montreal wants World Cup games but do they want to pour all that money into the Big O if its just for the WC? 

They did for a $400M empty arena in Quebec City hoping for an NFL franchise.

They will for the world cup

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

They did for a $400M empty arena in Quebec City hoping for an NFL franchise.

They will for the world cup

I think it depends on how many games and if they can use it for other stuff (like the Expos) after.

14 minutes ago, matty said:

I think it depends on how many games and if they can use it for other stuff (like the Expos) after.

So far from what I can gather from the media in Quebec, they believe the stadium is fit "as is" except for the grass they conceded they needed to change for natural.

Reconfiguring to 1976 shouldn't cost that much. Personally, I'm of the firm belief that the roof (the part that used to be retractable) must be removed.

That will be deal breaker above everything else. You cant play in a dome stadium a World Cup game. And the roof thing will be very expensive. 

The province controls the stadium but at the same time, not paying to make it fit would be a huge political backlash with Montreal metro being half the province's population and voters. They won't forgive any government not making it happen while Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton wave at them partying. Pride will override reason here. They'll make it happen and not care how much it costs

"Vanity...my favorite sin!"

-Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate 

oh dear god, no world cup games in a closed dome olympic stadium.

would hate to see Alphonso Davies get crushed by a giant piece of rooftop.

The Olympic would need a lot more than just removing the roof to be up to fifa spec. luxury booths, tons of press room, etc. etc. 

just because it's big it doesn't mean it's up to spec.

40-25-15 !!!

Many outstanding Mexicans have come out saying the 60-10-10 distribution of matches is an insult to Mexico, suspecting they`ll get the garbage matches. While in Canada we are acting happy to be horse wipe, even before confirming a possible participation as hosts, some Mexicans are saying they have been sold out. 

I agree. If this is a shared hosting, and if the shared hosting is what is going to get Concacaf the WC for this year, then there have to be concessions and shared benefits. Basically, 10 matches is agreeing to be a floor mat and having to say thanks afterwards. Very Canadian?

If the bid hinges on the joint participation, there has to be proper conditions for all parties. It cannot be the US using us to get another WC and have us come along for the ride (but sit on the roof rack). We need to ensure top matches, that fans can properly follow them in Canada, as well as knock-out round games deeper into the competition. 

The US should not have more than half the matches. The spread should be much less. We should have at least two round of sixteen matches and a quarter final as well. This is my view. 

I can't believe Victor negotiated this, it is garbage for Mexico, who have organized two very well run WCs, pretty shite for us, and has the US laughing their way to the bank. The US that can't even let Canadians over their borders without racial typing them.

We are so frigging desperate we'll take anything, so, basically, Victor is taking anything. And this is not good enough.

To be fair. It's only a proposal. Lots of things can happen until then. When Gulati was asked who would have the opener, he had no clue and said they would figured it out later.

I wouldn't be surprised that in their arrogance that the 60-10-10 was just thrown in Mexico and Canada faces right before the press conference.

That's obviously not a CONCACAF bid but seems that the organizing committee will include CONCACAF. When asked if CSA would pick the Canadian venues, Montagliani said CONCACAF would, cities would have to bid.

Things could still change backstage. You don't negotiate in public.

Archived