2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

Once again love all the "experts" spending so much time and their expertise on the board :)

Bottom line is we don't know what's going to happen.  It's a possibility that every stadium in Canada is not viable and nothing can be done in eight years to bring them up to FIFA standards.  I think I will wait and see what happens though before prematurely said this is flawed and failed.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Once again love all the "experts" spending so much time and their expertise on the board :)

Bottom line is we don't know what's going to happen.  It's a possibility that every stadium in Canada is not viable and nothing can be done in eight years to bring them up to FIFA standards.  I think I will wait and see what happens though before prematurely said this is flawed and failed.

1. This is the internet. Everybody is an expert. 

2. Most of my arguments against the stadiums is I just want to use as an excuse to see new stadiums being built. Look normally you'd have to build 10 or 12 of these things to host...but we probably could get away with just building 3. That's already a win really.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

1. This is the internet. Everybody is an expert. 

2. Most of my arguments against the stadiums is I just want to use as an excuse to see new stadiums being built. Look normally you'd have to build 10 or 12 of these things to host...but we probably could get away with just building 3. That's already a win really.

1-Very true.  But it still makes me laugh though the near certainty that "facts" are expressed on here lol

2-As I've stated there is no drive or desire on the government or majority of taxpayers to fund the grand stadiums you (and others) want for the games.  That's why the solo bid was never realistic in the first place.  I'm sure the list is final for who's bidding for hosting in Canada. The win is getting any games up here and what it's going to do for the game and the infrastructure that's already in place.

What does it matter that the "Stade Olympique" is old. Berlin's Olympic stadium was very old and had a running track, but it was still a fantastic venue for 2006. The Maracana is as old, and it was renovated for the 2014 world cup. Many more examples exist. The plan is to remove the roof, put natural grass and renovate the stands, press boxes, etc. Except for the seats and concession stands, the stadium is in pretty good shape; structure-wise, it helps to have a permanently closed roof. 

If you combine the old stand configuration + the tower, it's  a sweet looking stadium if you ask me : 

10.jpg

montrealpostcard.jpg

6 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Why would you want to renovate the Big O without a tenant to regularly use it after World Cup? I can't imagine it'll be cheap to renovate.

Why does France have the Stade de France? Why does Scotland have Hampden? England, Wembley? The Olympic stadium is not just any stadium for Montréal. It is a part of the city. It doesn't need a regular tenant. It's used half of the year on average through events (sporting or otherwise).  But that's not the point. The stadium is a representation of an era in Montréal. There is definitely a love and hate relationship between the stadium and the people of Montréal, but make no mistake, it's a landmark that won't go away anytime soon. 

Now. The roof HAS to be changed (or at least torn down). So, with the WC2026 on the horizon, it's perfect timing to re-think the stadium. Either it should have a fixed roof, a retractable roof, or no roof at all. The last option is the cheapest but would make the structure age faster. The fixed roof would be the cheapest option but would continue to slowly kill the soul of the stadium. I think a retractable roof is the best option, but definitely the most expensive. Overall, the news out of the city of Montréal is a positive one. Regardless of the option chosen, the stadium needs to be open during the summer months at least. 

There is a silver lining for the RIO ( an organism that handles the Olympic Parc). The Impact COULD move there at some point. Saputo stadium is only leased to the Impact for now. (its an emphyteusis lease, which means that the Impact got the property to build for free, but they had to build the stadium) That lease ends in 2034 if I'm not mistaken. The lease for Saputo comes from the RIO as well. If it's in their best interest that the Impact moves to the Olympic stadium after the world cup, I'm sure a deal can be reached. Saputo Stadium is a definitely on the cheap side, and can't last for 30 years anyway. Saputo stadium could be kept for a new reserve team/U21 team, etc. An open stadium with newly configured stands would be a pretty nice "soccer venue" after all. That all being said, I don't think the Impact NEED to move permanently into the Olympic stadium to make its renewal worth while. Athletics competition, winter classics, concerts, etc. All these events would justify the makeover imo.   

5 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

I  think   thw  3  cities  will   be  Toronto  BMO  Field  ,   Vancouver   BC Place,  and  Edmonton  Commonwealth  stadium  if  Both  Canada  and  Mexico  get  more  games  maybe  Montreal  

I see them saying no to both Vancouver and Edmonton before Montreal. I think the idea of having French, Spanish and English cities hosting would be key to the symbolicalness of the North American bid being about unity.

USA

NYC (MetLife), LA (Hollywood Park), Dallas (ATnT), DC (FedEx), Seattle (Century), Chicago (Soldiers)

Canada

Toronto (BMO), Montreal (Olympic), Regina (Mosaic)

Mexico

Mexico City (Azteca), Monterrey (Bancomer), Guadalajara (Chivas)

Notes

ATnT or Hollywood hosts the final because they seat 100k and are close to Mexico

Mosaic gets it because it's the best stadium in Canada

Azteca hosts the opening game

Olympic gets the 3rd place game

24 minutes ago, matty said:

USA

NYC (MetLife), LA (Hollywood Park), Dallas (ATnT), DC (FedEx), Seattle (Century), Chicago (Soldiers)

Canada

Toronto (BMO), Montreal (Olympic), Regina (Mosaic)

Mexico

Mexico City (Azteca), Monterrey (Bancomer), Guadalajara (Chivas)

Notes

ATnT or Hollywood hosts the final because they seat 100k and are close to Mexico

Mosaic gets it because it's the best stadium in Canada

Azteca hosts the opening game

Olympic gets the 3rd place game

You know all the games past the quarter finals are in the states right?

I think they'll go either 4 or 5 cities.  They'll want to hit Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal for sure, but to ensure that it's not *just* the 3 largest cities and continuing to try to grow the game elsewhere in the country they'll ensure a 4th and maybe 5th city as well.  So I can see the games divided as either 3/3/2/2 (4 cities) or 2/2/2/2/2 (5 cities).  

But let's also keep in mind that they'll probably be trying to pair up cities for the group stage to limit the amount of travel teams have to do.  Vancouver was singled out at an early press conference as pairing up with Seattle, which makes sense.  So... Toronto/Montreal? Edmonton/Regina?

2 hours ago, fmfranck said:

Now. The roof HAS to be changed (or at least torn down). So, with the WC2026 on the horizon, it's perfect timing to re-think the stadium. Either it should have a fixed roof, a retractable roof, or no roof at all. The last option is the cheapest but would make the structure age faster. The fixed roof would be the cheapest option but would continue to slowly kill the soul of the stadium. I think a retractable roof is the best option, but definitely the most expensive. Overall, the news out of the city of Montréal is a positive one. Regardless of the option chosen, the stadium needs to be open during the summer months at least.

Glass panels will give Olympic Stadium tower a new look
Andy Riga, Montreal Gazette July 10, 2017

As for the Big O’s 23,000-square-metre roof, the Quebec government has said it will announce its decision on whether to replace it in the fall. The new roof being considered would reportedly cost between $200 million and $300 million.

Joe Mac - Surprisingly a retractable roof can be cheaper than a fixed one, see University of Phoenix Stadium, but I doubt that will be the case with the Big O.  The last recommendation I can recall was the Bissonnette Report which looked at revisiting the original Taillibert design with more modern materials IIRC

7 hours ago, Rheo said:

Every stadium in Canada meets FIFA standards, it's no magic Olympus to be scaled.  Those "standards" refer to things like media areas, areas for drug testing, stadium entrances.  Those standards don't magically change for senior men's teams, we have held numerous FIFA sanctioned events here.

I posted the UEFA guide to stadiums somewhere on this site I think, it'll spell it all out.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

With the WC expanding to 48 teams I think it would be appropriate to lower the standards for stadia, at least as regards capacity. Maybe for the group stages only. 

Even then we still meet the "standard", all the new stadiums can be expanded to 40k (save Saputo)

8 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Every stadium in Canada meets FIFA standards, it's no magic Olympus to be scaled.  Those "standards" refer to things like media areas, areas for drug testing, stadium entrances.  Those standards don't magically change for senior men's teams, we have held numerous FIFA sanctioned events here.

I posted the UEFA guide to stadiums somewhere on this site I think, it'll spell it all out.

I was responding to this "because the few soccer specific stadiums in Canada are too small and the stadiums that are not too small are not soccer specific and are really old. Like Olympic Stadium...are you kidding me? "  My referencing FIFA standards was tongue in cheek to his belief that we had little or nothing could be done in the years leading up to the games being played

The next CONCACAF cycle (2040s), pretty sure CPL will have grown enough to have allowed us to build more stadiums. I'm sure we'll go solo next time.

I can't see the US or Mexico hosting a 3rd time and the CSA falling for another co-bid scheme

There was an interview on Montreal radio. They said Stade Saputo is more likely to be used as a training ground and Olympic stadium as a game venue. They say the technology is advanced enough to make sure it will be ready and have grass for the world cup. Removing the roof is on the table as well

Archived