2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, matty said:

first 3 are locks the later totally is hopeful

I'm not sure that "nation watches every game that happens here and follows canada's progress" is a lock. Likely, but not a lock. We aren't even positive we are guaranteed a spot in the World Cup yet.

Also "millions in supports that goes to cpl and other projects" is pretty hopeful. We have no idea how much of the money from the World Cup we get. It could be that we are budgeted enough money to cover costs, or we could get 12.5% of the FIFA host fund for hosting 12.5% of the games. Impossible to say until the economics are laid out.

Details on Montreal's bid for some games. Says they will use the Olympic Stadium with grass and an open roof.

It also states that they will choose 3 Canadian cities and Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton have already expressed their interest too.

9 Stadiums have bid to be a host for Canada's 2026 World Cup games

Calgary, Alberta

McMahon Stadium

Edmonton, Alberta

Commonwealth Stadium

Montréal, Québec

Stade Olympique

Montréal, Québec

Stade Saputo

Ottawa, Ontario

TD Place Stadium

Regina, Saskatchewan

Mosaic Stadium

Toronto, Ontario

Rogers Centre

Toronto, Ontario

BMO Field

Vancouver, British Columbia

BC Place                   

All stadiums must have a plan to reach 40,000 seats to be eligible.

The 49 stadiums represent a wide spectrum of facilities, including stadiums for soccer, football, and domed and retractable roof stadiums. All stadiums are required to have at least 40,000 seats for group stage matches, and a capacity of at least 80,000 to be considered for the Opening Match and the Final.

I guess we're out for the opening. Hoping Azteca host the opening game but I'm sure the USSF is too greedy for that since not even the 3rd place game will be outside of the US. Olympic Stadium would have been a fair choice

24 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

9 Stadiums have bid to be a host for Canada's 2026 World Cup games

Calgary, Alberta

McMahon Stadium

Edmonton, Alberta

Commonwealth Stadium

Montréal, Québec

Stade Olympique

Montréal, Québec

Stade Saputo

Ottawa, Ontario

TD Place Stadium

Regina, Saskatchewan

Mosaic Stadium

Toronto, Ontario

Rogers Centre

Toronto, Ontario

BMO Field

Vancouver, British Columbia

BC Place                   

All stadiums must have a plan to reach 40,000 seats to be eligible.

Rogers Centre is a surprise... This might create a debate but if only 1 stadium is used for Toronto, Rogers (with natural grass) is a favorite or not? I'm thinking that it should be both stadiums

Where's Winnipeg? :(

McMahon Stadium? :lol:...Perhaps it's another argument for the city to expedite the new stadium/arena plan. They are going to miss out on the World Cup because of this and all this stalling on this file.

Stade Saputo? :lol: too small

8 minutes ago, Areathrasher said:

I thought Roger Center was a no go for football since they put in the dirt base paths and fixed the lower tiers in place?

It's the world cup, i'm sure they would make arrangements

3 minutes ago, Areathrasher said:

To the best of my knowledge those arrangements would mean playing on a Yankee stadium style postage stamp. 

That's not really the image you'd want to project to the world. 

rogerscentre.jpeg

It's pretty awesome if you ask me. Rogers isn't perfect but nowhere near the embarrassment that is the Yankee stadium converted into a soccer field

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

rogerscentre.jpeg

It's pretty awesome if you ask me. Rogers isn't perfect but nowhere near the embarrassment that is the Yankee stadium converted into a soccer field

You missed the point. That configuration is no longer available so the pitch would have to be squeezed in left to right above the diamond ala Yankee Stadium. 

1 minute ago, Areathrasher said:

You missed the point. That configuration is no longer available so the pitch would have to be squeezed in left to right above the diamond ala Yankee Stadium. 

Is that due to the recent work the Jays did? I'm thinking they would not have bid if this configuration was no longer doable. Surely they have some kind of plan to make it work

Just now, Ansem said:

Is that due to the recent work the Jays did?

In the picture you posted the lower tiers are on rails so they can be moved from baseball config to CFL&NFL/Soccer confirg. 

When the jays put in the dirt basepaths after the Argos were kicked out some of those rails were taken out so the lower tiers are now fixed in place in permanent baseball config. 

I wouldn't get to worked up over details.  I'm assuming it was an open bid process and most people want a piece of the action.  Add in the fact they have years to figure out specifics, no harm in bidding even if everything isn't perfect now.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I really don't think I'm being that unreasonable when I say...most of these stadiums don't really meet the standard of hosting WC games today let alone 8 years from now..

A lot can be changed in 8 years

Just now, canta15 said:

A lot can be changed in 8 years

Well it's going to have too because the few soccer specific stadiums in Canada are too small and the stadiums that are not too small are not soccer specific and are really old. Like Olympic Stadium...are you kidding me? 

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Well it's going to have too because the few soccer specific stadiums in Canada are too small and the stadiums that are not too small are not soccer specific and are really old. Like Olympic Stadium...are you kidding me? 

Yes, I know. These points were already stated before in this thread

Archived