2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

13 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Even then we still meet the "standard", all the new stadiums can be expanded to 40k (save Saputo)

The seats have to be permanent and grass needs to be put in. Expanding CFL stadia for this was always going to be very expensive and it appears to have become prohibitively so when it's only for three games. I strongly  suspect it will be BC Place, the Rogers Centre and the Big Owe that get the ten games (think the running track rules out Commonwealth in Edmonton when there are so many other possibilities in the three countries), but fingers crossed that the Blue Jays won't play along and BMO Field gets expanded to 40,000 plus and made fully soccer specific again and the Argos get access to one of the associated training grounds as a more appropriately Lamport sort of sized legacy to share with TFC II and/or the Wolfpack as it would obviously be a shame to see them die. ;)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Renovating Olympic Stadium seems like waste of money...especially if it costs anywhere near $200-300 million. You could build a nice modern ~40,000 soccer specific stadium for less and would be better for spectators of the WC and Montreal Impact...

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Renovating Olympic Stadium seems like waste of money...especially if it costs anywhere near $200-300 million. You could build a nice modern ~40,000 soccer specific stadium for less and would be better for spectators of the WC and Montreal Impact...

It would cost FOUR TIMES that amount to dismantle it. So what are the other options? To keep it as is or to "update" it. But the Olympic stadium can't really be left to crumble or not be maintained.
- A major subway line (and two metro stations) passes underneath it. 
- The new tower has just been completely renovated, and will house Desjardins offices for 20 years.
- There are offices underneath it. 

"So what" you might say, "just leave it as is and maintain it".  Well the problem is that upkeep costs for the stadium are pretty high. You need to make some income from events. But you can't host events if the stadium is not up to date. 

It's not that simple really. Im for a 40k stadium because I would LOVE to have that for the Impact afterwards, but i just dont think its feasible.

3 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

It would cost FOUR TIMES that amount to dismantle it. So what are the other options? To keep it as is or to "update" it. But the Olympic stadium can't really be left to crumble or not be maintained.
- The new tower has just been completely renovated, and will house Desjardins offices for 20 years.

"So what" you might say, "just leave it as is and maintain it".  Well the problem is that upkeep costs for the stadium are pretty high. You need to make some income from events. But you can't host events if the stadium is not up to date. 

It's not that simple really. Im for a 40k stadium because I would LOVE to have that for the Impact afterwards, but i just dont think its feasible.

So Montreal is basically held hostage by this old stadium...those '76 Olympics are the gift that keeps on giving...

Governments and tax payers that get burned by large sporting events to the tune of billions of dollars usually aren't eager to go down the same path again lol.  Sorry it crushes your soccer dreams but it's the real world.

5 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Governments and tax payers that get burned by large sporting events to the tune of billions of dollars usually aren't eager to go down the same path again lol.  Sorry it crushes your soccer dreams but it's the real world.

Right...which is why you build soccer specific stadiums that will be used by the MLS teams...

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Right...which is why you build soccer specific stadiums that will be used by the MLS teams...

Which the government and taxpayers don't want to subsidize for billionaires for 2-3 special games in 9 years when they have suitable facilities already there.

8 minutes ago, Rheo said:

Which the government and taxpayers don't want to subsidize for billionaires for 2-3 special games in 9 years when they have suitable facilities already there.

Taxpayers will be much more in favour of subsidising a field that's going to be used than one that isn't...MLS and CFL + Blue Jays are the only regular tenants that would justify putting any money into any outdoor stadium in Canada 

11 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I've never fully gotten why MLS stadiums aren't used for more things. Like I know we'd all hate the shit but you could do a music festivals or concerts at some of these venues and of course you do maybe get WWE to hold Summerslam at MLS stadiums.

I read that "Stadiums must be able to accommodate a 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) hospitality village no more than 150 metres from the stadium." Do our candidate venues fit this criteria? Would we have to deal with this on top of stadium expansion and renovations?

9 hours ago, Rheo said:

I was responding to this "because the few soccer specific stadiums in Canada are too small and the stadiums that are not too small are not soccer specific and are really old. Like Olympic Stadium...are you kidding me? "  My referencing FIFA standards was tongue in cheek to his belief that we had little or nothing could be done in the years leading up to the games being played

I've brought this up before and no one has been able to answer me.  What exactly is a soccer specific stadium.  Is BMO a soccer specific stadium?

Really old stadiums?  We've basically had a new one built or renovated every year for the past five years so I don't get your very old reference.

Olympic Stadium is going to get its makeover, sooner or later.  Whether you or anybody else likes it or not it is one of the the symbols of Montreal.  Former FIFA head Septic Bladder called it a "jewel" so the international community is on board.  So instead of saying "are you kidding me" you might want to do some due diligence and see what is being planned.

And if they can execute to an accelerated timeline to the extent of change that BC Place did, people will be saying are you kidding me, but not pejoratively.

30 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I read that "Stadiums must be able to accommodate a 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) hospitality village no more than 150 metres from the stadium." Do our candidate venues fit this criteria? Would we have to deal with this on top of stadium expansion and renovations?

FIFA is anything if not "flexible".  There are no rules, only "guidelines"

1 hour ago, fmfranck said:

Is that accurate? 1 Billion $!!! Wow. Held hostage is right. Renovate and get the Expos back!

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The seats have to be permanent and grass needs to be put in. Expanding CFL stadia for this was always going to be very expensive and it appears to have become prohibitively so when it's only for three games. I strongly  suspect it will be BC Place, the Rogers Centre and the Big Owe that get the ten games (think the running track rules out Commonwealth in Edmonton when there are so many other possibilities in the three countries), but fingers crossed that the Blue Jays won't play along and BMO Field gets expanded to 40,000 plus and made fully soccer specific again and the Argos get access to one of the associated training grounds as a more appropriately Lamport sort of sized legacy to share with TFC II and/or the Wolfpack as it would obviously be a shame to see them die. ;)

As far as I know the first part is not true, another FIFA old wives' tale (see Qatar).  Any CFL expansion, seats, turf wouldn't be for three games but at least the run of a season.  BMO would be an embarrassment for a WC and don't worry about the Argos, they've been around 150 years and they're going to be around a long time more with or without decent crowds so learn to love 'em, this ain't the auld country m'boy :)

28 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Is that accurate? 1 Billion $!!! Wow. Held hostage is right. Renovate and get the Expos back!

$1 billion sounds a bit high, but the demolition cost of the Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey was $55 million USD for demolition (which was done in one part) and removal. Roofs make demolition far more complicated apparently and the stadium would need to come down in sections due to surrounding infrastructure. The Astrodome in Houston (which has a roof) has been left vacant for years because the city doesn't want to pay the $100 million USD price tag for demolition. Like the Meadowlands, the Astrodome has little to no surrounding infrastructure and would only need to be taken down in three parts (roof, small section to protect a nearby parking garage, rest of the stadium). The Olympic Stadium would need to be taken down in many, many pieces. The sources I found online estimate the Olympic Stadium would likely surpass $500 million CAD.

26 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

$1 billion sounds a bit high, The sources I found online estimate the Olympic Stadium would likely surpass $500 million CAD.

700 million... source: The Olympic Stadium Fact or Fiction

Cannot be demolished by implosion due to its structure, proximity to the Metro and residential areas. Has to be taken apart piece by piece.

18 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

700 million... source: The Olympic Stadium Fact or Fiction

Cannot be demolished by implosion due to its structure, proximity to the Metro and residential areas. Has to be taken apart piece by piece.

So it will get turned into housing or a prison before getting torn down. 700 million is never going to be spent to clear 20 million worth of land.

Bring in a huge  architect company,  renovate the  stadium top to bottom and fix the roof situation and turned it into a national Stadium like it was designed for! With soccer, rugby and track and field and the odd football game,  massive concerts, a few outdoor hockey games, other events, for example  Soccer and rugby World Cup's , restaurants and  naming sponsorships, The big O would bring in a lot of money. But first things first,  get that stadium away from the provincial government of Quebec. They have allowed it to become a bigger joke then it was when they couldn't even build the thing on time and on budget. 

When I went to the Olympic  stadium for the first time, playoff game against Toronto and MTL.  I was so amazed by the size and 61,000. But when I was going around the stadium it just made me sad because there was nothing there and the massive potential of that stadium is just being thrown away because of a bunch of idiot politicians with lack of vision. 

Hey I'm not from MTL but I don't understand why people of MTL don't fight for  The stadium it could be something special once again.

A couple of points, some specifically about Regina and a couple of others to address some of the other comments here. 

1) Stadia do not have to have all permanent seats, at least up to World Cup 2018 (I haven't bothered to look up the stadium configurations for Qatar). Stadia in Russia have temporary seating (http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/with-a-year-to-go-russias-world-cup-faces-challenges/wcm/bf3a2f42-a6f5-4dc4-bd7a-7c84f619c9ce) and there were temporary seats erected in Brazil. In fact, the number of negative comments I've endured about Regina (mostly from people in Regina on FB, Twitter and elsewhere about the 'no temp seats/Mosaic capacity too low) make me think that those commenting haven't actually watched the World Cup with an eye to any detail whatsoever. One of the big stories pre-Brazil 2014 was the incomplete and potentially dangerous nature of some of the temporary seating that was incomplete only weeks before the start of the tournament (http://www.businessinsider.com/sao-paulo-world-cup-stadium-stands-2014-6).

2) Many people have commented that stadiums under a certain capacity threshold would not be considered (not necessarily on here, but several people have stated less than 50K is a no-go to me elsewhere). However, Brazil had 4 stadiums between 40K and 50K and two under 40K. Russia has 8 stadia between 40K and 50K and 2 under 40K. Qatar plans to have 11 stadiums between 43K and 47K. 

3) I've been told directly that Mosaic is expandable with temporary seating to close to 50K. However, I'm having trouble tracking down that info now. Perhaps it was a misquote. However I doubt it's a misquote that the stadium was designed so that 'Pil Country' can hold temporary seating as well as the concourse and two buildings immediately above Pil Country. The area on the opposite side of the stadium from Pil Country holds around 1700 seats. So to take the capacity up to 40K would require an 8000 seat temporary addition on the south concourse. I'm not sure I can envision a 13,000 seat temp stand or greater but perhaps it's possible. 

4) It will be interesting to see how all of these RFIs shake out. Clearly the probability of any site being chosen goes up or down at least in part based on how motivated the municipality is that is home of a possible venue. Luckily Regina's accommodation capacity has gone up significantly since we held the first Grey Cup here in 1995. Still not sure it's enough, but 9 years is a long time.

5) I wouldn't count out Vancouver. In fact, I think it's the most likely venue to be chosen if the city wants to host. But who really knows. Maybe there will only be two cities chosen and each will host 10 games ... or maybe they want to spread it around. So much depends on variables that we know so little about. 

Archived