2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

3 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

oh dear god, no world cup games in a closed dome olympic stadium.

would hate to see Alphonso Davies get crushed by a giant piece of rooftop.

The Olympic would need a lot more than just removing the roof to be up to fifa spec. luxury booths, tons of press room, etc. etc. 

just because it's big it doesn't mean it's up to spec.

I would think, part of the reason to have a world cup is to improve on your country's stadium infrastructure, as you can use profits from the event to pay them off. Given that just about every facility in our country had either been built or recently reno'd in the last decade apart for MacMahon, The Big O and the Dome, and given that the Dome is privately owned. I would think if they did have a game at the Big O, it would be renovated in some fashion.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I would think, part of the reason to have a world cup is to improve on your country's stadium infrastructure, as you can use profits from the event to pay them off. Given that just about every facility in our country had either been built or recently reno'd in the last decade apart for MacMahon, The Big O and the Dome, and given that the Dome is privately owned. I would think if they did have a game at the Big O, it would be renovated in some fashion.

Let's all take a moment to be thankful to the Blue Jays for preventing the Dome from hosting games.

2006 as well could be argued with the Veltins Arena. 

I hope MLSE models TFC's next arena after this one. We could use it for those Fall, winter and early spring matches. I don't like dealing with the elements as a paid spectator.

image.jpeg

10 Games gets us in as hosts and gives us all our games at home. I'm sure this was the rationale behind accepting so little. I wish it was more but it is what it is. I was pissed at first but after a couple days to let it soak in i'm ok with it. Like a true Canadian I'm just happy we got invited.

On 2017-04-12 at 7:16 PM, lazlo_80 said:

oh dear god, no world cup games in a closed dome olympic stadium.

would hate to see Alphonso Davies get crushed by a giant piece of rooftop.

The Olympic would need a lot more than just removing the roof to be up to fifa spec. luxury booths, tons of press room, etc. etc. 

just because it's big it doesn't mean it's up to spec.

I wouldn't worry about.  Even if the Canada-USA-Mexico contingent wins the bid, there won't be any matches in Montreal because Quebec will have seceded from Canada before 2026.

On 13/04/2017 at 11:35 PM, johnyb said:

10 Games gets us in as hosts and gives us all our games at home. I'm sure this was the rationale behind accepting so little. I wish it was more but it is what it is. I was pissed at first but after a couple days to let it soak in i'm ok with it. Like a true Canadian I'm just happy we got invited.

We don't know whether 10 will be viewed as enough to be an automatic qualifier, because the decision has yet to be made.

I fail to see how Canada is getting the short end of the stick in any way like some on here are suggesting. Mexico? Sure they are if the 60-10-10 stays but as I posted earlier in this thread if we go by population percentages we get 6 games (53, 21, 6).

The fact that we are getting 4 more than our population size dictates we should is bad in what way?

What I see happening is only 2 of the 3 will get automatic entries. USA and Mexico. We will still have to qualify but if we can't do that with those 2 out then I'd say we don't deserve to.

5 hours ago, TRM said:

I fail to see how Canada is getting the short end of the stick in any way like some on here are suggesting. Mexico? Sure they are if the 60-10-10 stays but as I posted earlier in this thread if we go by population percentages we get 6 games (53, 21, 6).

The fact that we are getting 4 more than our population size dictates we should is bad in what way?

What I see happening is only 2 of the 3 will get automatic entries. USA and Mexico. We will still have to qualify but if we can't do that with those 2 out then I'd say we don't deserve to.

We'll be the first WC host to not be qualified, what kind of suckers are born every minute in this country?

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We'll be the first WC host to not be qualified, what kind of suckers are born every minute in this country?

Me I guess. :) I have enough confidence in our ability that we will make it if Mexico and the USA aren't in there to accept it.  Weird point of view I know but I'm sort of weird as I'm sure most of you know by now.

Has there every been a 3 way WC before? No. We would be breaking new ground and face it this is our best chance to host a world cup or at least part of it.

I don't see why Mexico would get an  automatic spot with the same # of games as us and we wouldn't. The auto spot goes to HOST nations not whether they are ranked in the top 30 or not. I can see the US get a spot because it's basically their world cup but if we don't get one neither does Mexico.

On 17/04/2017 at 10:53 AM, TRM said:

If Japan/Korea had done a divide by population as you are suggesting would be fair, then Japan would have hosted about 45 games, and Korea 19 games. And yet, in the 2002 World Cup, they each hosted 32 games, and had an even split in the knockout rounds. The only disparity was that Japan got the final, while South Korea got the 3rd place match.

This is all uncharted territory, so people are going to react to it differently. There has never been a lopsided co-hosting before. There has never been a threat of a host not being able to play in the tournament either (I'm not totally sure if it was understood while Japan/South Korea were bidding if they would both be given a spot automatically).

"We will still have to qualify but if we can't do that with those 2 out then I'd say we don't deserve to." As for this part, I've mentioned it before, but no other host nation has ever had to prove that they deserve to be in the World Cup. They were awarded a spot. Removing USA and Mexico from the qualification equation doesn't make it easier for us to qualify, since they will take those spots with them. Meaning, instead of their being 6 spots with USA and Mexico trying to qualify, there will be 4 spots without having to worry about USA and Mexico. Either way, there are 4 spots for the rest of CONCACAF to fight over.

I honestly still don't know how to feel about this whole thing.

Yeah, I am still pretty meh.  This idea of 'just happy to be there' and 'thanks for inviting us' stuff doesn't cut it for me.  We are "co-hosting" a tournament but only getting 12.5% of matches.  I don't care about population size - no one ever said it would be a per capita split. 

We were basically used to make what is essentially a US bid more palatable.  Some may be happy just to be invited to the Christmas dance, but I want more.  

We were never getting a solo bid.  Lack of infrastructure and a lack of will to do the upgrades needed to meet the demands the Cup would need.  Feel free to mope about the Cup coming.  I'll enjoy it and what it will mean for the game in country long term.

50 minutes ago, Rheo said:

We were never getting a solo bid.  Lack of infrastructure and a lack of will to do the upgrades needed to meet the demands the Cup would need.  Feel free to mope about the Cup coming.  I'll enjoy it and what it will mean for the game in country long term.

There is a shitload of possibilities between solo bid and US leftovers.  It didn't have to be a 'take it or leave it' proposition.

Archived