2026 WC Bid?

munseahawk

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

There is a shitload of possibilities between solo bid and US leftovers.  It didn't have to be a 'take it or leave it' proposition.

You can look at it as glass half empty or glass half full (or toilet half shit empty or toilet half shit filled, lol)   I'm just choosing to focus on the positives that will come out of it.  To each their own though.  Cheers

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rheo said:

You can look at it as glass half empty or glass half full (or toilet half shit empty or toilet half shit filled, lol)   I'm just choosing to focus on the positives that will come out of it.  To each their own though.  Cheers

So, according to your logic, we should take a shitty deal because it's not 100% shitty and focusing on the shittyless parts is more than enough? 

2 hours ago, fmfranck said:

So, according to your logic, we should take a shitty deal because it's not 100% shitty and focusing on the shittyless parts is more than enough? 

Maybe I don't think it's shitty. I am allowed to have a different opinion. As I said to each their own

22 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

52 actually (41 for Concacaf, 11 for Oceania). Would be surprised is UEFA doesn't back this bid as well. Their support would give us a majority of supporting federations from FIFA. 

Aren't there only 35 FIFA members in CONCACAF? I think there are 41 total, but the non-FIFA members wouldn't get a vote.

39 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

Would be surprised is UEFA doesn't back this bid as well. Their support would give us a majority of supporting federations from FIFA. 

Don't think UEFA as a whole is a lock to back it but this bid only needs 60 more votes assuming all of CONCACAF is behind it. 106 is the magic number.

Honestly, if we get an automatic bid i think the rest of concacaf might be against it as we wouls be taking away a spot from them that we wouldn't have gotten without hosting

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

But CONCACAF will have FOUR extra places!!! (an extra 3 plus the host spot). I really don't see anybody complaining. Even if they do I can't see FIFA paying any attention.

No they won't. The 3 automatic host spots that would be given to Canada, USA, and Mexico will come from their own confederation. 6-3=3 So the rest of CONCACAF will have to fight for those 3. If we didn't host they would have to fight for 4 (assuming USA and Mexico qualify). The other countries might believe they are getting shafted and losing one of their qualifying chances to a team that isn't deserving of that spot as they have not made it to the top 6 in qualifying for the World Cup since 1998.

Edit: I honestly think they won't care that much about this, but there is always the possibility

9 minutes ago, canta15 said:

No they won't. The 3 automatic host spots that would be given to Canada, USA, and Mexico will come from their own confederation. 6-3=3 So the rest of CONCACAF will have to fight for those 3. If we didn't host they would have to fight for 4 (assuming USA and Mexico qualify). The other countries might believe they are getting shafted and losing one of their qualifying chances to a team that isn't deserving of that spot as they have nott made it to the top 6 in qualifying for the World Cup since 1998.

He's right. CONCACAF would get it's 6.5 spots plus an extra spot unless they reintroduce the defending champ auto qualifies. Canada, US and Mexico would likely get three leaving 3.5 open plus an extra spot

54 minutes ago, matty said:

He's right. CONCACAF would get it's 6.5 spots plus an extra spot unless they reintroduce the defending champ auto qualifies. Canada, US and Mexico would likely get three leaving 3.5 open plus an extra spot

Looking at the chart on here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup#CONCACAF

It states that the host would not get an extra spot. "For 2026, the slot of the host country will be taken from the quota of its confederation"

And it is really a .33 spot not .5

2 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Looking at the chart on here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup#CONCACAF

It states that the host would not get an extra spot. And it is really a .33 spot not .5

sorry, i hadn't read the wikipedia figures only the press leak which added up to 47 (this new model is annoying) but it would still be 3.5. 3 teams in, one team in the playoff.

23 hours ago, Rheo said:

Maybe I don't think it's shitty. I am allowed to have a different opinion. As I said to each their own

Yep, not shitty IMO. Mildly disappointing but we are going to get WC games in Canada and I would guess in US cities like Seattle and Chicago which are easy to get to from Canada.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, Watchmen said:

I have no idea why people continue to think there will ever be a solo bid for the World Cup ever again, regardless of the host country..  FIFA has realized they can make more money off of having multiple hosts.  There is no going back.

I will say China would bid alone one day (maybe 2034 or 2038). Talking about money, FIFA would be more than happy to hand over the tournament to a single country again since 2022. Please remember to check my post here 10 years from now on.:P

11 hours ago, lamptern said:

I will say China would bid alone one day (maybe 2034 or 2038). Talking about money, FIFA would be more than happy to hand over the tournament to a single country again since 2022. Please remember to check my post here 10 years from now on.:P

Yeah, I agree that it's not unreasonable to think there will be single hosts in the future. China could do it. USA could do it. Without delving into the stadium details, I imagine England and Germany could do it. Some day perhaps India could do it.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, I agree that it's not unreasonable to think there will be single hosts in the future. China could do it. USA could do it. Without delving into the stadium details, I imagine England and Germany could do it. Some day perhaps India could do it.

Yes to all. There are also a few nations that have the stadiums but lack the money I think (eg. Italy, Spain). I do think these co-host bids are the future for the most part. Given that after Canada-USA-Mexico it'll likely be Argentina-Uruguay or Southeast Asia United.

11 hours ago, matty said:

Yes to all. There are also a few nations that have the stadiums but lack the money I think (eg. Italy, Spain). I do think these co-host bids are the future for the most part. Given that after Canada-USA-Mexico it'll likely be Argentina-Uruguay or Southeast Asia United.

Southeast Asia won't be eligible to bid again yet, unless they scrap the current rules of not every 2 cycles.  And that could happen, as we could start to see joint bids between multiple federations.  The rumoured Portugal-Spain-Morocco bid, for instance.  Can't imagine they'd have that eliminate both Europe and Africa for 8 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived