JDG2 back in picture

Re: those wondering whether you need a passport to play?

The answer is yes. You need to show your passport before any official FIFA competition ie. World Cup, Gold Cup etc. If you don't have a passport for the country you are representing you cannot play in that match. You can however play in friendlies, and this is what we saw with Tam Nsaliwa in that friendly against Brasil a few years back. Tam had no CDN citizenship, no CDN passport, but was eligible to play for us due to his meeting the FIFA residency requirements.

Technically, if Jono has renounced his citizenship he can still play for Canada in friendlies because he was born here and meets the FIFA requirement for national team eligibility, however he won't be able to play in official matches because he won't have a passport (if he renounced citizenship).

Hope this clarifies things.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re: those wondering whether you need a passport to play?

The answer is yes. You need to show your passport before any official FIFA competition ie. World Cup, Gold Cup etc. If you don't have a passport for the country you are representing you cannot play in that match. You can however play in friendlies, and this is what we saw with Tam Nsaliwa in that friendly against Brasil a few years back. Tam had no CDN citizenship, no CDN passport, but was eligible to play for us due to his meeting the FIFA residency requirements.

Technically, if Jono has renounced his citizenship he can still play for Canada in friendlies because he was born here and meets the FIFA requirement for national team eligibility, however he won't be able to play in official matches because he won't have a passport (if he renounced citizenship).

Hope this clarifies things.

For example: Jordan Rhoads' call up for the Scots is based on his 5 years living and schooling in Scotland, Whilst his dad, Andy, played up in the SPL). It only works however because his Passport is issued as a "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" one.

Bergkamp, please find a way to make it to his next match, make your way down to the entry and exit tunnel for the players and toss him a Canadian flag. Soon the better, same with any other reading out there.

I live in Madrid so getting to his game this Saturday at Santander is going to be really tricky, but at the very least I can guarantee you I will go to his game at Atletico Madrid in January. I don't have a Canadian flag but I do have an old Adidas Canada jersey, I could get 'De Guzman' printed on it and throw that at him. And maybe I'll get someone to mail me a flag.

Anyway, from what I see in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddAvft67RtA Hoilett plays as a left wing now. Wikipedia also calls him a left winger. So this is how I would line up with Jono and Hoilett.

----------Hutch----Johnson------

----Ricketts---DeGuzman---Hoilett

---------------Simpson-----------

Anyway, from what I see in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddAvft67RtA Hoilett plays as a left wing now. Wikipedia also calls him a left winger. So this is how I would line up with Jono and Hoilett.

----------Hutch----Johnson------

----Ricketts---DeGuzman---Hoilett

---------------Simpson-----------

Hoilett's success with Blackburn has definitely come with him being on the left wing and being able to cut in across the middle. He relies on his right foot like Simpson relies on his left. Hoilett should be on the left side if he suits up for Canada. Simpson may find similar success cutting in from the right, or he could go up top like you mentioned. I said in an earlier post that if we had both JDG2 and Hoilett along with any combo of Simpson, Ricketts, Jackson, DeRo, Hume then we wouldn't need the tactic of having a bulky Centre Forward like Occean or Friend. Those guys could come off the bench as tactical subs.

And I'll happily mail ya a Canadian Flag!!

Anyone over here remember Zola Bud. British (south African) Olympic Middle Distance Runner and Long Jumper... of the Imigration Que.

1984 Olympics, 3000 meters, clipped by Mary Decker knocking Decker out, and a tramatized Budd faded while a young Regina runner, Lynne Kanuka Williams, a former High School Cross Country teammate of mine (she was senior, I was a frosh) won Bronze.

So JDG2 should be able to suit up for us in February and get used to the team before the next round.. if he doesn't then it's pretty clear he doesn't have a real commitment to this.

To even play a friendly for Canada I believe JDG2 would have to get his papers to switch nations processed by FIFA. He won't do that until he knows he can get his Canadian passport and can also remain a professional in Europe.

The issue is getting back his Canadian citizenship without having to renounce his Dutch citizenship (as that would have implications on his status with his club team)...

Although Dutch law restricts dual citizenship, it is possible for Dutch subjects to legally hold dual citizenship in a number of circumstances, including:

• those who acquire another citizenship at the time of birth (for example, a child born to Dutch parents in the United States would hold both U.S. and Dutch citizenship).
  • persons who acquire Dutch citizenship through the option procedure (including former Dutch citizens resuming citizenship)
  • persons who become naturalised Dutch subjects, who obtain an exemption from the requirement to renounce their foreign citizenship, such as those married to Dutch subjects.
  • Dutch subjects who naturalise in another country who are exempted from the loss of nationality rule (such as those married to a citizen/subject of that country).

I'm not sure what the "Option Procedure" is... clear as mud, I know!

Hoilett's success with Blackburn has definitely come with him being on the left wing and being able to cut in across the middle. He relies on his right foot like Simpson relies on his left. Hoilett should be on the left side if he suits up for Canada. Simpson may find similar success cutting in from the right, or he could go up top like you mentioned. I said in an earlier post that if we had both JDG2 and Hoilett along with any combo of Simpson, Ricketts, Jackson, DeRo, Hume then we wouldn't need the tactic of having a bulky Centre Forward like Occean or Friend. Those guys could come off the bench as tactical subs.

+1... Hoilett has to play on the left for us if he suits up. That may mean Simpson goes on top or is relegated to the bench or even the right wing. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would have success cutting inside on the opposite wing, but then again, I never seen that comming when Robben went to Bayern either!

I'm fine with Jr. on the left as long as we keep simpson on the field. I've seen him mainly play on the right for Blackburn and be very effective.

I'm fine with Jr. on the left as long as we keep simpson on the field. I've seen him mainly play on the right for Blackburn and be very effective.

It really depends on who else is playing. Pedersen is strong on the left but has slid into the middle this year. When Rochina plays Hoilett is on the left, but sometimes he plays as a withdrawn striker when Yakubu plays, at which point he'll come from whichever side works. He hasn't exclusively played on the left, but he does enjoy his time out there. He was a lone bright spot against SToke on the left last week and his goal against Wigan and last year's bullet against Wolves he cut in from the left too.

But I agree, I'd keep Simpson and Hoilett both on the field. If Simpson isn't suited to the right hand side, then so be it, but Hoilett is effing Dangerous !!! when he cuts into the middle with his right foot from the left.

1984 Olympics, 3000 meters, clipped by Mary Decker knocking Decker out, and a tramatized Budd faded while a young Regina runner, Lynne Kanuka Williams, a former High School Cross Country teammate of mine (she was senior, I was a frosh) won Bronze.

You see, your only ever no more than six forum post away from fame !;)

I'm going to see if I get 'De Guzman' printed on my Canada jersey, and also I will go to the Canadian embassy in Madrid to see if they have a flag I can buy or borrow. If anyone out there has a design for a banner I could bring to the game that would be awesome. I have no artistic skills for that sort of thing, so it would have to be something i could print out on card-stock. Does anyone have any advice for me for when I am in the stadium? I have never done anything like this before. I have no idea how close I will be able to get to the player's tunnel or how much security there will be. I really don't want to get in trouble with security for throwing something.

If this is not the place for this message maybe a mod could move it to a new thread and/or different sub-forum??

Just to add fuel to the fire...

From the MLS website, but it paints a promising picture!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/30/de-guzman-little-brother-hoilett-considering-canada

Please dear God let this all be true! We have wandered in thine wilderness for far too long...

Okay bit of Blue Sky thinking here:

If one of the Canadian MLS clubs has the Cahunas (and the Money to match) to attempt to pull both player back home, how would they stack up with regards to DP's?

Seriously, a full blown shopping trip to Europe not only helps the Nats, but chances are your buying at least a Playoff spot for next year.

Personally I would think that two battle hardned players of their calibre puts Canada at least 10 - 15 place over its current FIFA ranking.

I'm sure security won't be as tight in Santander as it would be if they were playing at the Bernebeu or Camp Nou. And I sure as hell hope the Canadian embassy in Spain has a flag or two hanging around. As for the jersey, well, maybe just see if he'll acknowledge you and maybe a thumbs up or something. It we show how crazy we all really are it might scare him back to being Oranje :P

Ahh who am I kidding, jump on the field and physically force him to put the jersey on, and then hand him a cell phone and demand he call Jr. in front of you. Might as well throw a few threats in there too just to show how much it matters to you and the rest of us that they suit up for us. If necessary I'm sure we could take Julian hostage for use in negotiations.*

*not actually serious about this, please don't do it.

I'm going to see if I get 'De Guzman' printed on my Canada jersey, and also I will go to the Canadian embassy in Madrid to see if they have a flag I can buy or borrow. If anyone out there has a design for a banner I could bring to the game that would be awesome. I have no artistic skills for that sort of thing, so it would have to be something i could print out on card-stock. Does anyone have any advice for me for when I am in the stadium? I have never done anything like this before. I have no idea how close I will be able to get to the player's tunnel or how much security there will be. I really don't want to get in trouble with security for throwing something.

If this is not the place for this message maybe a mod could move it to a new thread and/or different sub-forum??

I'd get there early for warm ups and get on the side they are on

Archived