JDG2 back in picture

I'm going to see if I get 'De Guzman' printed on my Canada jersey, and also I will go to the Canadian embassy in Madrid to see if they have a flag I can buy or borrow. If anyone out there has a design for a banner I could bring to the game that would be awesome. I have no artistic skills for that sort of thing, so it would have to be something i could print out on card-stock. Does anyone have any advice for me for when I am in the stadium? I have never done anything like this before. I have no idea how close I will be able to get to the player's tunnel or how much security there will be. I really don't want to get in trouble with security for throwing something.

If this is not the place for this message maybe a mod could move it to a new thread and/or different sub-forum??

Ya I wouldn't go crazy but having a Canada jersey on and a flag will definitely get his attention in the warmup. As the team is going back into the room I would try and get close to the tunnel and maybe shout something quirky like "You look good in orange but you'll look fantastic in red!" or even simply just a good luck if you can get his attention. The fact that there's a Canadian fan there is support enough.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to see if I get 'De Guzman' printed on my Canada jersey, and also I will go to the Canadian embassy in Madrid to see if they have a flag I can buy or borrow. If anyone out there has a design for a banner I could bring to the game that would be awesome. I have no artistic skills for that sort of thing, so it would have to be something i could print out on card-stock. Does anyone have any advice for me for when I am in the stadium? I have never done anything like this before. I have no idea how close I will be able to get to the player's tunnel or how much security there will be. I really don't want to get in trouble with security for throwing something.

If this is not the place for this message maybe a mod could move it to a new thread and/or different sub-forum??

This is awesome! Do us proud!

While you're at the embassy, see if you can get them to draw up a new passport to present with the flag....

Guest Brethers

My dad said he'd take me to the next WC we qualify for, and Brazil would be a nice place to go to. PLEASE let this happen God, I will never ask for anything ever again

-------------------Occean/Jackson--------------------

Simpson---------- De Guzman---------------(Hoilett)

------------Hutchinson------De Guzman----------

De Jong-----Edgar-------Kluk----------Hanault

-------------------Borjan----------------------

Occean- If Hart wants a striker to hold up the ball to distribute out wide

Jackson- If Hart wants a striker to chase balls and inject pace

The question is what do you do with dero and how to fit him in?

Ok i'm convinced. What the hell. I'm going to go to a travel agency tomorrow and see if they can get me to Santander for the 6 pm kickoff on Saturday. Because some dude on the internet told me to. XD

If you are serious about this send me a private message with your full name. I will see who's working there and let them know your situation. Hopefully they can accommodate you and not laugh at me. Usually we have flags that are used that are in storage and later get sent for destruction, but it is not uncommon for special circumstances to give one out. Better served with you in the hopes of inspiring a star player to join the ranks. I can't promise you anything but I will try.

Either way, it seems that the Vs board runs a cottage industry of immigration and FIFA rules experts...

Absolutely we are! Just because you renounce your citizenship, doesn't mean you have actually renounced your citizenship. Just follow me.

For example, making a statement renouncing all other citizenships is part of the US naturalization process, but this process doesn't meet the Canadian standard. So if you immigrate from Canada to the USA, you renounce your Canadian citizenship as part of the ceremony, but because you haven't filled out the actual Canadian government form (Form CIT 0496, the Conrad Black form), as far as Ottawa is concerned, you are still a citizen, and can apply for a passport. Clear and confusing yet?

I am currently in the process of researching Netherlands immigration law.

Why is everyone leaving McKenna out of our back line in these possible lineups? McKenna is most definitely better than Kluka

De Jong------Edgar------McKenna------Hainault

Agreed, I kept asking myself the same question! I'd have: Kluk, Edgar, McKenna, Hainault, and maybe see if De Jong can play in the midfield.

Agreed, I kept asking myself the same question! I'd have: Kluk, Edgar, McKenna, Hainault, and maybe see if De Jong can play in the midfield.

Seems like a slow back 4 IMO. That's why I would like to see Jakovic there instead of Mckenna (or Edgar).

As for deschamps86 proposed lineup, I don't like the idea of playing DeRo as a defensive mid, I don't think he has the defensive skills to play the position and it's a position he never played. If Junior and JDG2 play for Canada, I just can't see DeRo getting a starting spot if everyone is healthy.

My opinion having watched Villareal play in the Champions League, he would be the best player in CONCACAF - even better than "Chicharito" on Man U who I don't think is a complete player, just a goal poacher.

The best thing about potentially having JDG2 on the national team is breaking the stupid stereotype that Canadian soccer players will always suck / will never play on top level European teams / don't have flair or great technical ability

Owen ********** could've raised our country's profile tremendously by playing for us but he didn't. De Guzman can put the CMNT on the map

Seems like a slow back 4 IMO. That's why I would like to see Jakovic there instead of Mckenna (or Edgar).

As for deschamps86 proposed lineup, I don't like the idea of playing DeRo as a defensive mid, I don't think he has the defensive skills to play the position and it's a position he never played. If Junior and JDG2 play for Canada, I just can't see DeRo getting a starting spot if everyone is healthy.

Perhaps, but I don't know about Jakovic ... he looks great at times, but then will seem to make a careless blunder. McKenna/Edgar seem more "safe" to me. I also thought of putting Hutch at RB, especially if we have two new midfielders to play with, but I don't think that would be the best use of his skill.

Guest GoGreen
So he's still eligible for Jamaica and Phillipines but not the country he was born in... great FIFA rules.

FIFA rules.. I'd imagine they are this way to prevent players switching back and forth from nations. Canada to Netherlands back to Canada

Anyways he probably renounced his citizenship thinking he had a assured future in the Dutch program.

I'd love him back, but until he features I'll wait and focus on the players already committed.

One issue I have with most of the line-ups that have appeared in this thread so far is the fact that they keep putting Hoilett on the right instead of on the left. He scores goals from the left side of the pitch, Blackburn knows it and that's where they put him. I am really conflicted with what happens with Josh Simpson. Could he play on the right side? Can he cross with his weaker right foot?

One issue I have with most of the line-ups that have appeared in this thread so far is the fact that they keep putting Hoilett on the right instead of on the left. He scores goals from the left side of the pitch, Blackburn knows it and that's where they put him. I am really conflicted with what happens with Josh Simpson. Could he play on the right side? Can he cross with his weaker right foot?

Other teams are going to double team Hoilett, I say we stick him on the right and put Simpson on the left where he won't have his usual double team

He is right footed and played most of his games as a right wing. If he is playing left that is for the ability to cut inside which could still be an option with him and Simpson switching flanks during a game for a different look.

Archived