JDG2 back in picture

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. thats the part i dont get. As far as i know, it is only in the US whereby to get citizenship requires you to to renounce your previous citizenship. I could get a EU passport no problem at all and a family member has two citizenships (EU and canada) and hence qualifies to obtain two passports.

JDG2 does not fall into any of these categories thus I'm assuming he had to renounce his Canadian citizenship. Plus none of his immediate family members are of Dutch origin so I believe that's another factor of him not permitted to hold dual citizenship.

Exemptions to the requirement to renounce foreign citizenship

An applicant for naturalisation does not have to give up his current nationality in the following cases:

where the original nationality is automatically lost upon naturalisation as a Dutch subject

the legislation of the applicant's country does not allow renunciation of nationality (for example, under Greek law[21])

the person is married to or the registered partner of a Dutch national.

recognised refugees

born in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, or Sint Maarten, and still living there at the time of application.

where the person has lived in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, or Sint Maarten for an uninterrupted period of 5 years or longer before age 18.

where the applicant cannot be expected to contact the authorities in the country of which they are a national.

where the applicant has "special and objectively assessable reasons" for not renouncing his existing nationality.

where in order to give up his/her current nationality the applicant would have to fulfil military service obligations or pay for such military service instead of fulfilling it. This must be demonstrated in each case.

where renunciation of the applicant's existing nationality would cause "serious financial losses" (for example, inheritance rights). This must be demonstrated.

where in order to give up his/her current nationality the applicant must pay a large sum of money to the authorities in his or her country.

where the person has lived in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curaçao, or Sint Maarten for an uninterrupted period of 5 years or longer before age 18.

According to wikipedia, JDG2 went to Holland at age 12, joining the Feyenoord youth academy. That would have been 1999. He turned 18 in 2005, and received his citizenship in 2008. Thus he lived in Holland for about 6 years, give or take, before turning 18. This would qualify him for the above section. The only question is whether it was uninterrupted; presumably he returned to Canada during summer vacation type periods, but does a vacation away count as an interruption?

Simply put, I don't think we can make an assumption either way, because we don't know all the requirements and exemptions, and we don't know all the facts of his life. So let's just wait and see, yes?

Hainault--Jakovic--Edgar--Kluka

------JDG---------Hutch-----

Junior-------JDG2-----------Simpson

---------Occean-----------------

The only thing I'd change is Occean up top, and that's just because I would like Ricketts on the pitch since he stood out for me in the last round of qualifiers. Occean stood out to, but for none of the reasons Ricketts did. I know Ricketts is more of a wide player though, but Junior-Ricketts-JDG2-Simpson would be a pretty fast, mobile attacking 4. They could switch a lot and move off each other really well. And with a more creative playmaking presence like JDG2, I'm not sure we need the bulky target man forward as much.

Earlier in the thread Free Kick mentioned DeRo wouldn't be a sub. Then you cut him. He's aged, he's done a good job for Canada, and if he has that attitude he isn't welcome. He isn't irreplaceable with someone in another role or even the same role.

Dero belongs on this team. Like it or not. Cut him? nice try. He holds the record (tied) for goals by a canadian player, he was just named MVP in his league (the same league that the US captain and golden boy plays in) .... etc.

I know your biased towards Simpson and I was hoping to avoid getting into mud slingling match involving one player versus another because in the end i want all our players to succeed. But honnestly what has Simpson really accomplished (as far as career or play for the MNT) to over take Dero? The knock on Dero is that he is not well rounded but that has always been my complaint about Simpson from day one when i first saw him at at the U20 level. And the things that dero does well, he is more effective in than the things that Simpson does well. I would not be as disppointed if Simpson would come in from the bench. He is a very valuable and usefull contibuter to the team. But a key cog and fixture in the starting lineup on the team? i dont think so. I am confident with him in there but i dont think he would make the starting 11 on the top two or three Concacaf sides.

As far as I understand this - even if you officially renounce citizenship, its easy to get it back....

Don't think it's worked out for Tam Nsaliwa. Jonathan would have trouble meeting the requirements listed in the indicated link (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/resume-eligibility.asp).

We'll have to wait and see what took place, but Nsaliwa's case is not cause for optimism if he actually renounced his Canadian citizenship.

EDIT: Reading a little more from the CIC website, there is a formal process for renouncing citizenship. Did Jonathan follow through on this? So many questions ...

On the positive side, at the end of this many Voyageurs will be able to qualify as immigration advisers :) .

If you are living and working in Canada...not so much if you are living and working in Spain. 1 year permanent residence is the requirement.

I need to slow down. I'm reading so fast that it actually changes into what I want it to say....

Where is that paper bag someone was mentioning?

Dero belongs on this team. Like it or not. Cut him? nice try. He holds the record (tied) for goals by a canadian player, he was just named MVP in his league (the same league that the US captain and golden boy plays in) .... etc.

I know your biased towards Simpson and I was hoping to avoid getting into mud slingling match involving one player versus another because in the end i want all our players to succeed. But honnestly what has Simpson really accomplished (as far as career or play for the MNT) to over take Dero? The knock on Dero is that he is not well rounded but that has always been my complaint about Simpson from day one when i first saw him at at the U20 level. And the things that dero does well, he is more effective in than the things that Simpson does well. I would not be as disppointed if Simpson would come in from the bench. He is a very valuable and usefull contibuter to the team. But a key cog and fixture in the starting lineup on the team? i dont think so. I am confident with him in there but i dont think he would make the starting 11 on the top two or three Concacaf sides.

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? Neither of these guys (JDG2 and Junior) have joined the team and I tend to think both are a longshot at best! Both DeRo and Simpson will probably be required to play big roles in our future rounds! I have some concerns about DeRo's play with our MNT but I sure think he has to still be involved!

Simple solution... heaps of cash + Jason Kenny + Swiss Bank Account! :P jk guys...

@ Free Kick: I totally agree wrt DeRo and Simpson comments. Simpson's a good player but given the option I think we'd play Jr in front of him, and keep him in the bag as an impact sub. As for DeRo, like him or not the numbers (for club and country) don't lie. And as far as tactics goes...

I think you’ve got to play your best assets where they are most effective. Thus, even if it means dropping Simpson (and Occean) out of the starting 11 I say you have to play JDG2 and Hoilett on the wings, with DeRo as the withdrawn striker. That puts Jackson, DeRo, JDG2, Hutch and Hoilett all in their most natural positions. Trying to accommodate Simpson in the first 11 isn’t worth screwing that up. Also, I’m sure having players of that quality out wide would also help us ditch the ineffective hail Marry cross (for lack of a better plan) tactic.

-----------ST-----------------

-----------------FW-------—

--WL---MC----MC---WR--

-------------------------------

--DL---DC-----DC----DR—

------------GK--------------

Jackson/Occean, DeRo

Hoilett, Hutch, Johnson/JDG/Burnier, JDG2

Hainault, McKenna, Jakovic/Edgar, De Jong/Kluk’s

Borjan

Special exemption applied to Lascelles Browna and Tyson Gordon.

What exactly is "special exemption"? I don't friggin know, but it exists and I bet it can be whatever it wants to be if the situation calls for it. Canada getting to the World Cup is BIG MONEY for many important and powerful people in this country. I think there's going to be help getting players like this into red and white...and black as needed.

I'm looking for further details on these guys stories to see what I can learn.

For Gordon - "Gordon, who applied for his passport on December 3 when he became eligible, hopes to by-pass this process through special exemption."

Posted on FEBRUARY 15th

"Jamaican-born Calgary resident Tyson Gordon was granted his Canadian passport last Tuesday,"

10 weeks and it was done.

For Gordon - "Gordon, who applied for his passport on December 3 when he became eligible, hopes to by-pass this process through special exemption."

Posted on FEBRUARY 15th

"Jamaican-born Calgary resident Tyson Gordon was granted his Canadian passport last Tuesday,"

10 weeks and it was done.

If this can't be done the government is really screwing us.. 10 weeks for a cricketer born in another country who represented Jamaica previously.

Apparently James Sharman is going to have news straight from Stephen Hart regarding what the situation is exactly for JDG2. I'm hoping he'll clarify if Jono simply requires to reapply for his passport, or if he has to completely regain Canadian citizenship, as well as what the timeline for things could look like.

If this can't be done the government is really screwing us.. 10 weeks for a cricketer born in another country who represented Jamaica previously.

I not sure, but I assume that Gordon and Brown had been living Canada when citizenship was fast-tracked... a potential complication for JDG2.

@FreeKick & Gagne - you guys are entitlted your opinion about deRo and me about mine. There was no "mudslinging" so I am not sure where that comes from. I even thanked DeRo for all he's done. But....my point was specifically re: FK saying "DeRo wouldn't accept being a sub." (paraphrased). Well what the kinda teammate is that? Do you really think Jackson is going to want to come all the way over here and see a guy he might think is superior on the bench because DeRo would pout if he was a sub? That'd kill morale.

DeRo has been excellent, but he's aging, and if he wouldn't accept being a sub then he'd have to be left off the squad. Same as any team. There are very few players who could try and demand they must start...DeRo, regardless of the 19 goals, is NOT one those players.

Regardless, FK is guessing that DeRo wouldn't accept it - and his guess is based on DeRo's previously quitting the team, and the MeRo tag he has. So it's not an unfair assumption.

For the record, I think DeRo WOULD accept being a sub. I actually quite like him and he really brings something different. I'd put Simpson ahead of him as he gives more flexibility - he can play any of the attacking mid roles.

Apparently James Sharman is going to have news straight from Stephen Hart regarding what the situation is exactly for JDG2. I'm hoping he'll clarify if Jono simply requires to reapply for his passport, or if he has to completely regain Canadian citizenship, as well as what the timeline for things could look like.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully it will answer at least some of the outstanding questions on the issue.

15 pages and counting ... not even 24hrs ... must be a new record.

For Brown - "He applied for Canadian citizenship on July 28, 2005; it was awarded to him by special exemption just prior to the 2006 Winter Olympics,"

Meaning it was what...a 6 month turnaround from application to exemption?

Athletes can be fast tracked according to this site.

http://www.canadavisa.com/self-employed-canadian-business-immigration-cultural-athletic-professionals-farm-management.html

Well if the Dutch consider him to still be living in Canada (rather than the Netherlands without interruption for 5 years), since he had to renounce his citizenship then hopefully that can work both ways and Canada will consider that he lives here during breaks.

This is just fantastic news. I've watched a lot of Villareal's matches this season here in Spain and De Guzman is a world class player. First touch, creativity, finishing, this guy is *really* good.

The best part is, if Jonathan De Guzman really does decide to suit up for us, I think that would convince Junior Hoilett to do so too.With the two of them I think we would be the favourites to win this group, and fourth place in the hex (or better) would be doable.

::crosses fingers::

Archived