The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

No he won't, I wish we could, but we won't, a lot of fans in the SS or even the rest of BMO just don't care about the national team.

I guarantee you that the SS would rip him up.  90% of hard cores at BMO support the national team (think back to WCQ).  And I know people who sit all around the stadium who care about and attend Canada matches as well and they're well aware of Hoilett/JDG2. 

How many fans does it cause to stir something up?  There would be at least 2 supporters groups immediately protesting against such a move and that would only snowball when people realized why.

Edited by Keegan

Janeil didn't get dicked by the provincial team so that might be why he plays for us. Perhaps it is less about the dad and more to do with Junior and his view on soccer politics in Canada?

That was a long time and a hundred levels of soccer ago.  I doubt a player of his calibre would hold such petty grudges.  If, indeed, he DOES, though, that would be pretty immature.

No point in holding grudges for any of these guys.  Haven't we all made decisions because our parents told us to, or pressured us to, and then regretted it later?  A guy like Hoilett is being praised as the "next" thing in EPL one day, and fighting relegation the next.  His dad left Jamaica like so many others, looking for opportunity for family, and they find it in Canada.  Some immigrants never really "leave" the old country and want to live vicariously through their kids, while others embrace their new homeland.  For most, its likely a combination.  We can never really guess the mix of influences, incentives, pride and prejudice that goes on in any one household.

Then, sports are fickle.  One day, Hoilett is the savior, the next day, he's a utility player.  Best example of that was young Freddie Adu.  I can't wait to see that Documentary of how his life played out, how his parents influenced his early decisions, and how it all went downhill.  If JDG II never gets called up again for Holland (like dozens of other young players in that country), will he regret missing out on that opening to play for Canada?  If Bosnia goes on to suck for years, we Begovic regret doing what his parents wanted and playing for his homeland?

What I can say is that we seem to have a good coach on our side these days, well respected, and one who can help players improve.  Players seems to want to play for him, and some decent results and performances (esp Colombia IMO) help to sow the seeds of hope.  When these players choose to play for Canada, they can now at least be assured of good backing, structure, coaching, and maybe...just maybe...the chance to get a big payday at TFC!  : )

No he won't, I wish we could, but we won't, a lot of fans in the SS or even the rest of BMO just don't care about the national team.

I guarantee you that the SS would rip him up.  90% of hard cores at BMO support the national team (think back to WCQ).  And I know people who sit all around the stadium who care about and attend Canada matches as well and they're well aware of Hoilett/JDG2. 

How many fans does it cause to stir something up?  There would be at least 2 supporters groups immediately protesting against such a move and that would only snowball when people realized why.

I tend to agree with Zeelaw here, if JH suited up for Jamaica then signed with TFC or vice versa there would be a little complaining from some of the supporters but they would be in the minority! Most of these same TFC supporters could care less that there probably won't be a Canadian on the pitch for the team this season in fact many that I know find it cool to slag our Canadians, I get slated and ridiculed for defending them in fact! This season I won't have to bother, besides the odd game off the bench by Osorio,there will be no Canadian contribution at TFC!

Someone should do an academic study as to why Canadians are self-loathing when it comes to international sports. Seriously, it is quite an interesting phenomena.

It blows my mind how quickly Canadians will brand their own as losers, as if this somehow disassociates them from the failure. Isn't it strange to see Canadians, who watch and grew up playing soccer, view it as weird to support Canadian soccer? Canadians are such bandwagoners. I am glad to be part of the minority.

I have a hard time imagining a similar situation occuring anywhere else in the footballing world.

Edited by Obinna

Someone should do an academic study as to why Canadians are self-loathing when it comes to international sports. Seriously, it is quite an interesting phenomena.

It blows my mind how quickly Canadians will brand their own as losers, as if this somehow disassociates them from the failure. Isn't it strange to see Canadians, who watch and grew up playing soccer, view it as weird to support Canadian soccer? Canadians are such bandwagoners. I am glad to be part of the minority.

I have a hard time imagining a similar situation occuring anywhere else in the footballing world.

You're right, it really is an odd phenomenon!

It looks like Hoilett is one step closer to moving on:  http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-wls-qpr-man-left-out-of-squad-ahead-of-expected-move-derby-county-interested

Cue the "I won't play international football until I'm settled at my new club" lines already!

Gladbach were rumoured to be in the mix when he moved from Blackburn to QPR. Money aside, this is actually a move up in, IMO. Gladbach are in the mix for a CL spot. He'll definitely have lots of competition in the attacking mid spots, though. Don't see him better than guys like Herrmann, Hahn and Traore. But Gladbach are also in the knockout stages of the EL, so I can see why they're interested in adding Junior for depth at least.

Gladbach were rumoured to be in the mix when he moved from Blackburn to QPR. Money aside, this is actually a move up in, IMO. Gladbach are in the mix for a CL spot. He'll definitely have lots of competition in the attacking mid spots, though. Don't see him better than guys like Herrmann, Hahn and Traore. But Gladbach are also in the knockout stages of the EL, so I can see why they're interested in adding Junior for depth at least.

Don't know if it is happening anymore because Hoilett is in the gameday squad for QPR.

• 1 month later...

^I bet if we go back through the 66 now pages of this thread, that different versions of this comment have been said quite a few times before.  There are those who will say "screw him, he already had his chance" and guys that will say 2 years from now "he used to play in the Premier League, we can never turn down talent" (note that I'm assuming in 2 years he won't be in the Premier League)

Even if we qualified for Russia, and Toilett tried to bandwagon jump to us, there would be some that would still welcome him saying to bring the most talented squad possible. (in that scenario, I certainly would NOT be one of them)

From MY perspective?  I agree...now is like a last chance kind of time for him to win me, over...but that's just me, personally

Edited by madmonte

I tend to agree with Zeelaw here, if JH suited up for Jamaica then signed with TFC or vice versa there would be a little complaining from some of the supporters but they would be in the minority! Most of these same TFC supporters could care less that there probably won't be a Canadian on the pitch for the team this season in fact many that I know find it cool to slag our Canadians, I get slated and ridiculed for defending them in fact! This season I won't have to bother, besides the odd game off the bench by Osorio,there will be no Canadian contribution at TFC!

The south end would be vocal like Keegan said.

As for your little problem, you should line up all the individuals you see exhibiting these Canadian slagging tendencies and punch them each on the noses.

Edited by Macksam

The south end would be vocal like Keegan said.

As for your little problem, you should line up all the individuals you see exhibiting these Canadian slagging tendencies and punch them each on the noses.

I'm wondering if the supporters will have a Banner for Vitoria if he hasn't committed to Canada when Philly rolls to town. They have one for Teal.