The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

He doesn't look impressive at all tbh.  He seems to have put on some weight/muscle and he's missing that spark and jump he had with Blackburn.

I'm just wondering at what point will he make his decision. He's 25 next year, he can't be possibly waiting on an England call-up, because that is definitely out of the picture. IMO there are way too many players who aren't getting called up that would get called up before him (i.e. Nathan Dyer).

At this point in his career, I would think playing international ball would be beneficial for his career.

Theoretically.  We see no Hoillett during the entire qualifying run for 2018, but lo and behold, CELEBRATE we make the hex!  At which point a now 27/28 year old Hoillett decides to represent Canada.

Would you take him?

Or say, ok, we actually qualify for Russia, and he tries to get on board...

At what point do we tell HIM to screw off?

At best, even if he does end up representing us, he'll probably be one of those guys that never comes to friendlies anyway.  I bet Floro would LOVE that...

Edited by madmonte

Theoretically.  We see no Hoillett during the entire qualifying run for 2018, but lo and behold, CELEBRATE we make the hex!  At which point a now 27/28 year old Hoillett decides to represent Canada.

Would you take him?

Or say, ok, we actually qualify for Russia, and he tries to get on board...

At what point do we tell HIM to screw off?

At best, even if he does end up representing us, he'll probably be one of those guys that never comes to friendlies anyway.  I bet Floro would LOVE that...

I would use him in the Hex, and if we qualify, include him in the preliminary team, then cut him before the WC as a fuck you to him.

Would you take him?

If we make it to the Hex, then no, I wouldn't take him.  I really don't think he is that much of an upgrade over what we have, so if we make it to the Hex with that, then he's really just depth at that point.

I'm just wondering at what point will he make his decision. He's 25 next year, he can't be possibly waiting on an England call-up, because that is definitely out of the picture. IMO there are way too many players who aren't getting called up that would get called up before him (i.e. Nathan Dyer).

At this point in his career, I would think playing international ball would be beneficial for his career.

I think waiting to get a sniff from England is exactly what he's doing. I think that's also why he went to QPR when he got offers from stronger teams in the bundesliga. I never thought Deguzman would be taken seriously by Holland and he started for them at the world cup. 

I think waiting to get a sniff from England is exactly what he's doing. I think that's also why he went to QPR when he got offers from stronger teams in the bundesliga. I never thought Deguzman would be taken seriously by Holland and he started for them at the world cup. 

He isn't even eligible for England. His loan stint in Germany messed up his eligibility.

Two totally different players 

Two different nations

In Holland it would seem that if you are eligible to play, and are performing good at the club level (de guzman) you will be rewarded.

In England things are a little bit different - it would seem more brand, than product gets you your place...ask the likes of Downing, and Lambert

Two totally different players 

Two different nations

In Holland it would seem that if you are eligible to play, and are performing good at the club level (de guzman) you will be rewarded.

In England things are a little bit different - it would seem more brand, than product gets you your place...ask the likes of Downing, and Lambert

England is very strict on calling up players with weak ties to England. Don't you have to be part of their schooling system for a certain amount of time? The Dutch are much more open to calling up outsiders.

Also De Guzman at this age was starting for Mallorca (mid level La LIGA)/ on the move to Villareal/ Swansea.

Hoilett is stuck on the bench for one of the worst premier league teams.

Mayb Rollins' news is similar to what Gerry Dobson said. The dobber said he would have significant news to break by years end regarding the canMNT

England is very strict on calling up players with weak ties to England. Don't you have to be part of their schooling system for a certain amount of time? The Dutch are much more open to calling up outsiders.

Also De Guzman at this age was starting for Mallorca (mid level La LIGA)/ on the move to Villareal/ Swansea.

Hoilett is stuck on the bench for one of the worst premier league teams.

Mayb Rollins' news is similar to what Gerry Dobson said. The dobber said he would have significant news to break by years end regarding the canMNT

And Hoillet doesn't qualify. He would need 5 years in England before he turned 18. Him going to Germany messed that up. How come no one has ever told him that?

And Hoillet doesn't qualify. He would need 5 years in England before he turned 18. Him going to Germany messed that up. How come no one has ever told him that?

The idea that Junior is holding out for an England call is purely speculation. As discussed on this board before the likely scenario is that similar to Cavalinni, Junior may not be interested in playing international football.

The idea that Junior is holding out for an England call is purely speculation. As discussed on this board before the likely scenario is that similar to Cavalinni, Junior may not be interested in playing international football.

I don't get the Cavallini deal, he played for Canada's youth teams. All of a sudden he doesn't want to play internationally. I find that odd.

I don't get the Cavallini deal, he played for Canada's youth teams. All of a sudden he doesn't want to play internationally. I find that odd.

It's very odd to us because we as the super fans assume all of these guys want to play as much as possible for club and country. However there's a thousand things that may have happened, see Paul Hamilton.

Rollins' tweet:

#CanMNT fans: Would you welcome Junior Hoilett "back." Would you be excited if you learned it might possible, or has too much time passed?

Rollins has been in the know on a number of things lately, but there's a lot of "if's" and "might's" in that tweet. #believeitwheniseeit 

Rollins' tweet:

Rollins has been in the know on a number of things lately, but there's a lot of "if's" and "might's" in that tweet. #believeitwheniseeit 

He tweeted afterwards that he has heard that Hoilett might come. I asked him about it and he mentioned the GC. But like you I'll believe it when I see it. I'm pretty sure Larson tweeted something about Hoilett a while back and nothing came of it.