The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Certainly he could be of use to our MNT if he ever decided to show up, I have my doubts! He has basically been a flop at QPR and it's not like he hasn't been given ample opportunities, I'm not sure if it's the large contract or just not being in the right club situation but whatever it is he clearly has regressed from his days at Blackburn when he was holding out hope to play for England, he can't cross and loses the ball in bad positions! Maybe a stint with Canada is what he needs to revive his fading career, I expect him out of QPR soon if any club will pick up his huge wage!

I'm not sure he was hoping to play for England. I believe he couldn't simply conclude which nation between Canada and Jamaica had "higher chances" to qualify to the WC.

I think he has 1 more season on his contract after this year.  But at 50,000 pounds per week and facing relegation I'm sure that QPR will be offering him out on a free transfer next year if anyone would pick him up.  That sounds like a lot of money but he's the 5th highest paid midfielder out of 7 on that team and 3 of their 4 forwards are making more money too; so it's he's not making an outrageous salary.

He's an odd one. Sometimes QPR fans say he's great and adds a good attacking dimension, other time they say he can't cross for crap and is a liability.

I went to a match a Loftus Road last year and what you say is very much accurate. The guy beside me loved him, the guy behind me had an unending stream of expletives for him. The one thing these two agreed on was a hatred for Bobby Zamora.

If Janeil indeed lands a contract with FC Dallas. Considering his status as a international player and the fact that FC Dallas does not have its own USL Pro team (I think they have an affiliation deal with Arizona), it will be a tall task to get a roster spot with the MLS side. I can't imagine they will tie up an international slot on a player they feel is still in the development end of the spectrum.

Another example of why Canadians not counting as a domestic player on the US teams needs to be resolved. Can only think that would further scare off Junior from considering a spot in MLS (although he could probably make several US-based MLS teams rosters).

If Janeil indeed lands a contract with FC Dallas. Considering his status as a international player and the fact that FC Dallas does not have its own USL Pro team (I think they have an affiliation deal with Arizona), it will be a tall task to get a roster spot with the MLS side. I can't imagine they will tie up an international slot on a player they feel is still in the development end of the spectrum.

Another example of why Canadians not counting as a domestic player on the US teams needs to be resolved. Can only think that would further scare off Junior from considering a spot in MLS (although he could probably make several US-based MLS teams rosters).

They do have an affiliate and could be loaned for the season.

Now his bro is in MLS, at Dallas, will be interesting to see if that impacts Jr's next club move. Surely he'd stay in Europe, especially after he sees how ridiculously complicated his bro's MLS contract surely will be.

Think he has far too high an opinion of himself to consider MLS anytime soon. I think there are still lower premier League clubs that will take a gamble on him but his Blackburn form seems a world away from what he has been doing the past few years. He is seemingly leaving QPR this month and whichever move he makes it will be a very important one. Fail to make an impact at his next club and I think he will come running to the mls. While I understand him wanting to stay in the premier League or Europe. Probably a couple of years away from coming back...but what if he gambles and his stock falls further. Now might not be the worst time to do a Bradley and come back here to be a well paid DP spot while his stock is high-ish.

Edited by toontownman

He's an odd one. Sometimes QPR fans say he's great and adds a good attacking dimension, other time they say he can't cross for crap and is a liability.

LOL.  Think they're both right.  And in the same 90 minutes besides!

Leave it to tthe QPR fans to provide a more enlightened opinion but from what I've seem this seaon he does seem to get a bit over-excited/ambitous at times.  Leaves me wondering what he'd bring to Canada, really.  Just feels like one of those players who can add to an already strong team but isn't exactly going to bring another dimension to a more workman side, as it were, or make those around him who are of lesser quality any better.  He'd be a luxury.

Credit where credit is due though, he isn't shy out there is he?

But I don't think we (Canada) are at the point yet where we can afford luxuries.  Sort of like QPR.  Of course our defending isn't entirely useless though so...

(Fu'k, all that said I'd be happy to take that chance though).

Well it sounds like he really loves Canada. It sounds promising.... But then again Judas professed his love for Canada at a CanMNT WCQ in a CanMNT jacket and went on to play for the Netherlands in the world cup lol. So untill he is officially cap tied no one knows for sure. 

I got the impression that he was refering to canada as they a lot.

“Canada is a massive country and I believe they have a massive fanbase. They just have to sort a few things out to reach that level. I’m sure we have the talent. The country can do it and I think they could pull it off. The youngsters are the future, players like Dylan Carreiro and then you have [Michael] Petrasso has been doing very well and getting experience over here in the lower leagues. If everyone could follow in his footsteps then there will be better players being developed who can reach the national team status.”

Final count is 3-1. Sorry guys, it's over.

Junior is at least proud to be from GTA and consider playing for his hometown club:

“I follow Toronto FC. It is my home city. We just got Sebastian Giovinco and there’s a lot of Italians in Toronto so that will go down very well. I’m happy for him,” Hoilett smiled. “Toronto has grown as a soccer city, they have one of the biggest fanbases in MLS, so I follow Toronto FC and MLS very closely over here. The MLS is growing and everyone is getting excited. They are bringing in younger players, very talented players in. So yeah, one day, hopefully the chance will come to play for my city. That would be perfect.”

But then again, JDG 2 is TFC fan as well and wants to retire playing for TFC or his old dutch club.  

Edited by TFC07

I got the impression that he was refering to canada as they a lot.

“Canada is a massive country and I believe they have a massive fanbase. They just have to sort a few things out to reach that level. I’m sure we have the talent. The country can do it and I think they could pull it off. The youngsters are the future, players like Dylan Carreiro and then you have [Michael] Petrasso has been doing very well and getting experience over here in the lower leagues. If everyone could follow in his footsteps then there will be better players being developed who can reach the national team status.”

Final count is 3-1. Sorry guys, it's over.

Comes across more like he wants to see certain changes to the Canadian set up and likely some major wooing until he considers playing for Canada. Ironic that mentality is one of the things we need to stamp out. You should be proud to turn out for the country you grew up in and clearly love.

Gladbach would be a sexy move. They've been in the top half of the table the last few seasons. Only question is whether or not he'll get enough playing time. They have a good squad.

Regarding the Canada thing, I am sure both him and Jono love Canada and love Toronto. JDG2 had a chance to play with the dutch, it was a gamble that paid off, he won a medal at the WC and got a lot of playing time. Very happy for him, strangely. I don't agree with how he handled things, but I don't believe he was trying to be a jerk either. I don't personally know junior but from what I know of his story, I believe his dad's desire to see him play for Jamaica is the road block. It is hard to make a decison when you don't have the support of your father. Sometimes in life though, you gotta make the decision for you and nobody else.

What I don't buy about the father story though is why is his brother allowed to play for us?  So his father doesn't care enough about the younger son to try to convince him to play for Jamaica's youth squad as opposed to ours? 

This is just simply a guy who is all about himself and wants to play at the highest level.  Flying back to CONCACAF doesn't get him $ (not easy ones anyway, he would need to actually win with us) and isn't going to progress his career as he's already known in England/Europe.  So unless we make a big tournament he's not coming, simple as.  He doesn't love this country enough to bleed for it.  He's wondering what's in it for him. 

If he doesn't love Canada then it doesn't matter because when he gets down to Central America in the 2 pm heat he is going to pack it in and get eaten alive by CONCACAF players who are literally willing to die to win. 

If we're looking for progress Hoilett isn't the answer.

Edited by Keegan

Good point about Janiel, but to play devil's advocate, perhaps his father doesn't care as much about his younger son from a footballing perspective.

Total speculation here, but perhaps the dad cares most about himself? Junior would be a big deal for Jamaica and he's probably envisioning being THE guy who see's that Junior suits up in yellow and green. Instant respect from the Jamaican community, getting a big time player to become a reagge boy. On the flip side, Janiel is a reletive nobody. Let him play for whoever he wants.

Again, total speculation, but who knows?

Edited by Obinna

Hoilett Sr. granted me an interview for Canucks Abroad but never got back to me when I followed up… I should ask again

Maybe phrase a question like this: Is your son, Junior, going to play international football?

Edited by pbullen