TFC Roster Dance 2011

MM2

Not necessarily...any of the guys on minimum deals (Gargan, Kocic, Henry, Lindsay/SEI, Harden, Nana) could occupy 21-24 off budget.

Hmmm, yeah, under the new rules spots 21-24 can be occupied by players over the age of 24. It's only spots 25-30 that are for young players (and making only $32,600)...so maybe Gargan, Kocic, Harden and Nana are off-budget in spots 21-24? That would leave us with 12 Salary Budget spots and an extra $160K in cap room - which is ridiculous cause we're already almost $1M under the cap.

BTW, I already have Henry and Lindsay as being off budget (hence why they're in italics). They'd be in spots 25 and 26 probably.

edit: I'm also assuming Nick Soolsma was signed to a salary larger than $40K which might not be the case.

2nd edit: On second thought, we have to have a minimum of 18 salary budget players at the start of the season so chances are all or most of the players currently signed will count against the cap.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's seven Canadians - and all of them international eligible, not just citizens of roster-convenience - on the roster so far. To me that's excellent considering there's no gun to TFC's head to have that many on the roster.

What I'd like to see is for every two or three Canucks both TFC and VWFC develop that they're able to trial and sign a Zavarise-type player. As spotty as his career has been I hope Vancouver signs Harmse this year, even if it is to contract #30.

I'll have to watch my recording of the Canada-Venezuela game to see Zavarise play. I don't remember him in that game.

I'll have to watch my recording of the Canada-Venezuela game to see Zavarise play. I don't remember him in that game.

He barely played - I think he was the last sub for Canada, made with about 5 minutes to go and I'm not sure he even touched the ball. He can be seen celebrating the Canadian goal though.

Oh hey look, it's more expert analysis from our resident Montreal-based closeted TFC supporter!

ObviousTroll.jpg

Before Grizzly rebuts by implying that I'm some sort of TFC apologist, I'll go on record with not liking this trade at all. Labrocca seemed to settle in this pre-season very well, and Winter was full of praise for him.

It's very puzzling, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

A striker who doesn't score, exactly what TFC needed and in keeping with their tradition!

Actually the TFC tradition is getting a striker who used to score, and then sending that forward packing when he doesn't score, only to see the forward catch fire with his new team. They're trying some reverse logic.

Before Grizzly rebuts by implying that I'm some sort of TFC apologist, I'll go on record with not liking this trade at all. Labrocca seemed to settle in this pre-season very well, and Winter was full of praise for him.

It's very puzzling, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

He brought some good things to the team, but he also had limitations. I thought his second half of the season was not as strong or as consistent as his first. Maybe I just haven't watched Gordon enough but he struck me as a utility-type guy but playing primarily out of the forward spot. Perhaps a Mariner-influenced signing?

TFC doesn't have anywhere near enough strikers so I can see why they would make the trade. Gordon is only OK, not great - but then that's what I thought of La Brocca last season. The funny thing is, La Brocca for Gordon seems a fairly even trade to me - but Gordon for Marvell Wynne (which this amounts to when you considered how TFC got La Brocca) would be a steal for the team that got Marvel Wynne (and won the cup with him to boot). Of course that's more of a fault of Mo Johnston than anything else, but what else is new?

Gordon and Santos, should provide a good duo for the middle man up front, for the 4-3-3 system.

They starting XI is looking better.

--------------Frei

Gargan-Attakora-Cann-Harden

----------De Guzman

----Bouchiba------De Rosario

Peterson--------------Martina

------------Gordon

Depth is needed though in about every area, expect Goalie, CB and DM.

Updated:

GK Stefan Frei 24 Switzerland

GK Milos Kocic 25 Serbia

D Nana Attakora 21 Canada

D Adrian Cann 30 Canada

D Dan Gargan 28 USA

D Ty Harden 26 USA

D Doneil Henry 17 Canada

D Demitrius Omphroy 21 USA

D/M Nathan Sturgis 23 USA

M Julian de Guzman 29 Canada

M Jacob Peterson 25 USA

M Elbekay Bouchiba 32 NED

M Gianluca Zavarise 24 Canada

M/F Dwayne De Rosario 32 Canada

M/F Nick Soolsma 23 NED

F Javier Martina 24 NED

F Alan Gordon 29 USA

F Maicon Santos 26 Brazil

Injured Reserve:

M Nicholas Lindsay 18 Canada

http://www.torontofc.ca/players

I heard on the fan 590 today that TFC has signed someone on loan from Italy, I think it was Torino but I can't remember his name and I don't see it reported anywhere else.

EDIT : apparently just a rumour at this point ... Alen Stevanovic

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22999544

From articles some of the RPBs posted it looks like pretty close to a done deal. Excited to have him on board he's a winger who is also co-owned by Inter (he played one league match for them) I think he'll be a nice addition. And Im guessing he is going to have a low cap hit because in one of the articles I think it said the Italian club(s) are paying his wages.

TFC sign four academy players:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/03/toronto-fc-academy-graduates-four-more

Toronto FC Academy Graduates Four More

Morgan, Cordon, Makubuya and Stinson sign on with TFC first team

Toronto FC announced Thursday that they have signed four players from their Academy. Defender Ashtone Morgan, midfielders Oscar Cordon, Matt Stinson, and forward Keith Makubuya will all be making the step up to the First Team. They will be added to the roster as Home Grown Players.

"These are important signings for our club, they represent our commitment to develop young talent and the importance of our Academy program,” said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter. “All four players performed well in the pre-season and have earned their spots in the first team. Players like these are the future of our club.”

Morgan, 20, joined the Academy program at the age of 16 in 2008. Before moving to the Academy he was a member of the Toronto Lynx U-13 team that played against youth academies in England. Morgan participated in a number of Canada’s U-16 team camps and has made two appearances for the Canadian U-20 team.

Cordon, 18, joined the Academy program in 2009. He was a member of the Mississauga Falcons before joining the Academy. Cordon made two appearances with the first team last season, the first in June against Vancouver Whitecaps during the Nutrilite Canadian Championship and then in October against Arabe Unido during the CONCACAF Champions League group stage.

Stinson, 18, was the captain of the Toronto FC Academy team before leaving to attend Wintrop University in South Carolina last fall. At Winthrop, Stinson was named the Team MVP and earned All-Big South Conference Second Team honours. He was a member of the Clarkson Comets before joining the Academy in 2008.

Makubuya, 18, joined the Academy program in 2009 after playing his youth soccer with the North Mississauga Soccer Club.

All four players were with the team during pre-season while in Turkey, Orlando, and Charleston. Toronto has now signed six players from their Academy program since last season.

Updated:

GK Stefan Frei Switzerland

GK Milos Kocic Serbia

D Nana Attakora Canada

D Adrian Cann Canada

D Dan Gargan USA

D Ty Harden USA

D Doneil Henry Canada

D Demitrius Omphroy USA

D Ashtone Morgan Canada

D/M Nathan Sturgis USA

M Matt Stinson Canada

M Oscar Cordon Canada

M Julian de Guzman Canada

M Jacob Peterson USA

M Elbekay Bouchiba NED

M Gianluca Zavarise Canada

M/F Dwayne De Rosario Canada

M/F Nick Soolsma NED

F Keith Makubuya Canada

F Javier Martina NED

F Alan Gordon USA

F Maicon Santos Brazil

Injured Reserve:

M Nicholas Lindsay Canada

11 of 23 (or 10 healthy out of 22) signed are Canucks. I don't think we can complain about TFC giving enough Canucks an opportunity this year. The only problem (for TFC) is that not enough players are signed overall, and lots of the players are young (though I get that Winter prefers that because it will be easier to mold the youngsters into players who play the style that he wants than the grizzled journeyman veterans who are too old to develop)>

Archived