TFC Roster Dance 2011

MM2

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully he fills the void at right back. Have to smile a bit when I read posts elsewhere about Dan Gargan. Did people really not notice last season that he's inexpensive cover at best at MLS level and that he was only getting a game because of Usanov wasn't getting the job done?

I've been saying since at least the middle of last season that if Gargan started for TFC it'd be a long season.

That's the censored version of it anyway.

Josh Janniere finally signed by Colorado. I guess the hold up was obtaining his rights from TFC. 2nd TFC Academy player to be signed by another team with Teibert starting in the TFC academy before moving to the Whitecaps residency.

Bad news for Doneil Henry since he is now probably #5 on the depth chart at centre back, which could mean 0 minutes this season. Assuming Ashtone Morgan and Ty Harden are seen as adequate cover for left back this presumably still leaves a place open for another right back unless either Williams or Attakora are seen as the answer there? No idea on the former scenario but never seen much sign that the latter is a good move in previous seasons.

Salary Budget Roster

1. Julian DeGuzman M (Canada) $335,000

2. Alen Stevanovic (Serbia) ?$70,000-80,000?

3. Adrian Cann D (Canada) $124,000

4. Nana Attakora D (Canada) $40,000

5. Alan Gordon F (USA) $87,731

6. Dan Gargan D (USA) $40,000

7. Ty Harden D (USA) $40,000

8. Jacob Peterson M (USA) $125,000-143,000

9. Nathan Sturgis M (USA) $65,000-69,250

10. Stefan Frei G (Switzerland) $80,000-135,000

11. Maicon Santos F (Brazil) $93,000

12. Javier Martina F (Netherlands)

13. Millos Kocic G (Serbia) $40,000

14. Elbekay Bouchiba M (Netherlands)

15. Mikael Yourassowsky D (Belgium)

16. Nick Soolsma F (Netherlands)

17. Danleigh Borman D (South Africa) $40,000

18. Dicoy Williams D (Jamaica)

Off-Budget Roster

21. Gianluca Zavarise M (Canada)

22. Demitrius Omphroy D (USA)

23. Tony Tchani M (Cameroon)

24. Joao Plata F (Ecuador)

25. Doneil Henry D (Canada)

26. Matt Stinson M (Canada)

27. Ashtone Morgan D (Canada)

28. Oscar Cordon M (Canada)

29. Keith Makubuya F (Canada)

30. Matt Gold M (USA)

Injury Reserve

Nicholas Lindsay M (Canada)

Rumour is that Torino will be paying Stevanovic's salary, so I assume his cap hit will be similar to the 3 Brasilians LA Galaxy had on loan last year from Sao Paolo.

Salary Budget Roster

1. Julian DeGuzman M (Canada)

2. Tony Tchani M (Cameroon)

(Canada)

From what I can find Tchani is still Generation Adidas therefore he would still qualify for the Off-Budget roster. Also Alen Stevanoic is missing form your list.

Otherwise your list looks good, makes sense to leave two Budget roster spots open.

When a budget roster player is on the injury reserve, the team can replace them on the roster but both players count against the Cap.

Just wondering how this affects the roster when it is a non-budget player.

This interview with Eddy Sidra (now signed with Edmonton) explains what happened with him at TFC - like Bas Ent & Ornoch, they all seem to be victims of the interim management promising things that they couldn't deliver:

http://the11.ca/2011/04/04/fc-edmontons-sidra-claims-tfc-reneged-on-contract-offer/#more-2092

I mentioned this in the FC Edmonton Roster thread - I can attest to what Sidra believed. When I had a chance to speak with him privately at the National Team jersey unveiling he was fully expecting that he would be playing for TFC in the upcoming season - not "expecting to go on trial", but had already had it and was going to be signed for the upcoming season.

Glad to see he's got a new club and will finally be seeing some regular game action again.

^ Great news about Sidra. And great to see an NASL-level team (Edmonton) providing that much-needed role (we were missing) of getting our younger/U-23 players (who are not ready for MLS yet) solid playing time and pro development.

With our three major cities fielding MLS teams next season -- I long for the day when our next three large cities (Ottawa and Calgary to join Edmonton) get to field teams at the NASL level. There is no reason why a city with a million population shouldn't have a proper pro team in this country. This is what we need, to bridge the big gap we had -- from U-18/college programs to the MLS pro level.

This interview with Eddy Sidra (now signed with Edmonton) explains what happened with him at TFC - like Bas Ent & Ornoch, they all seem to be victims of the interim management promising things that they couldn't deliver:

http://the11.ca/2011/04/04/fc-edmontons-sidra-claims-tfc-reneged-on-contract-offer/#more-2092

I mentioned this in the FC Edmonton Roster thread - I can attest to what Sidra believed. When I had a chance to speak with him privately at the National Team jersey unveiling he was fully expecting that he would be playing for TFC in the upcoming season - not "expecting to go on trial", but had already had it and was going to be signed for the upcoming season.

Glad to see he's got a new club and will finally be seeing some regular game action again.

Even if Sidra signed with TFC, aren't MLS contracts non-guaranteed? So he could've signed a deal in the fall before new management took over, then be brought to camp with no chance to make it, and get cut. All he would've gotten out of it would've been any signing bonus given (which likely would've been really small or none). It's totally unfortunate that these guys got this poor treatment, but even if they had a signed deal in place I doubt they would've been much further ahead than they are.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

According to Gary Dobson on twitter, TFC have signed Richard Eckersley from Burnley on loan

“Soccercentral

#Burnley D Richard Eckersley? Played one CC match, 3 apps total. 12 games on loan to Bradford in LG 2. Mariner knows him from #Plymouth. GD”

and confirmed on Burnley website:

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~2339466,00.html

The kid was just recently on loan at Bury...I don't know about this, we haven't had much success with English lower league players.

edit: According to the CP article he's a former ManU youth player...we'll see i guess. Oh, and he's a RB.

Looks like he is a right back and is a player Paul Mariner knows from Plymouth Argyle:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-acquires-defender-richard-eckersley/article1987413/?amp&amp&amp&amp

“Richard is a good player, he comes from Manchester United's youth program,” said Toronto FC head coach and technical director Aron Winter. “We are rebuilding our defence and the season is very long so we're happy to add another right back.”

Eckersley played for Toronto FC director of player development Paul Mariner at Plymouth Argyle, when Mariner served as the club's manager.

“Paul knows Richard very well and I am convinced he can fit into our system,” Winter said in a statement.

That finally fills the void created by Usanov's departure at least for this season. Hopefully, he does a better job at keeping Dan Gargan where he belongs i.e on the bench as inexpensive cover. Despite what some people always seem to think I don't think Attakora is a viable option at right back. He is very much a centre back, who has played as a fullback when a lack of depth in the roster has been exposed by injuries, suspensions and/or international callups.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a BBC story to be filed under what might have been:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13256109.stm

Celtic left-back Emilio Izaguirre has been named players' player of the year by his peers in Scotland.

The 24-year-old Honduras international has had a fine first season in the Scottish Premier League...

Pfffft as if Izaguirre coming to TFC was ever a possibility

Good to see these numbers are not too high:

TFC Bouchiba Elbekay M $ 92,004.00 $ 92,004.00

TFC Soolsma Nick M-F $ 86,004.00 $ 86,004.00

TFC Yourassowsky Mikael D $ 80,004.00 $ 81,670.67

TFC Martina Javier F $ 89,460.00 $ 96,140.75

given the Low Countries are where the management team are likely to look for players a lot of the time. Also means there is probably still plenty of cap space available to squeeze in a second DP on a pro rated basis during the summer window.

Archived