TFC Roster Dance 2011

MM2

You continue to make the ridiculous claim that I slag anyone TFC signs. You also completely ignore the fact that TFC has made poor signing after poor signing for its whole existence. You completely ignore the fact TFC has been a very poor club for the whole of its existence and has never made the playoffs. You also ignore the fact that of the three signings I praised one of them (depending of course on how much they paid for him). Yes last year at this time I slagged most of Preki's moves. Are you seriously going to tell me I was wrong about that? I think pretty much TFC fans and haterz alike thought Winter would have brought in some more impressive players than he has so far. Now it is possible that he knows a few undiscovered guys that everyone else has missed just like it was possible that Preki or Mo in the past had. It didn't turn out that way in the past and we have to wait for the results this time. Nevertheless it looks awful familiar to the TFC pattern of the past, an inexperienced manager signing a bunch of no-names whose backgrounds don't suggest they are MLS calibre. But hey don't let me make you take your head out of the sand or give up your day job as club lemming!

I didn't get under your skin there, did I?

Keep going with those assumptions, though. I'm loving how you got all of that out of one snarky, semi-serious sentence.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can understand the signing of two wide players on that sort of basis, but not an experienced Eredivisie quality midfield playmaker who has just been playing in Qatar (unlikely to be on middle of the range Jacob Peterson sort of money in other words if he still had options there, he's probably going to be one of the top earners) when there are so many other pressing issues to be addressed in terms of building a balanced roster. After listening to the latest TFC TV clip I think Winter's comments about DeRosario were genuine and on the level so that points more to JDG being seen as an issue. Looks like he wants to make sure that he has a quality holding midfielder sitting just in front of the two central defenders, who can be depended upon to play the style he wants. Understandable but could look like a misallocation of resources a few months from now.

I don't understand what you are getting at here. What issue would he have with JDG exactly? Are you suggesting that Winter doesn't think that he worth a DP spot, and therefore this guy is going to be a replacement? Or are you suggesting that JDG is not viewed as "quality" by Winter?

I think TFC has to be strong all over the field, and that this signing will give us depth in the holding midfield spot. I think it will help Julian, assuming that this player has good movement off the ball. I assume he does playing after spending most of his career in Holland. One big problem last year was that the other midfield players were out of sync with Julian because they had poor movement, perhaps this signing is addressing that issue.

JDG may be out longer than originally anticipated. And besides, what's wrong with a little depth at the position?

Nothing. Always a good idea to read through the entire thread before responding to a single post in isolation.

Have been investigating the Qatari League angle where Elbekay Bouchiba is concerned and apparently his last team Al Shamal got relegated and that could explain why he may be readily available without huge amounts of money having to be offered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Qatar_Stars_League

Hopefully he will be on Martin Saric sort of money and there are still plenty of funds available to effectively replace Chad Barrett as a goalscoring central striker and add experienced regular starter quality options at left and right fullback to name but three of the more pressing gaps on the roster.

Nothing. Always a good idea to read through the entire thread before responding to a single post in isolation.

Have been investigating the Qatari League angle where Elbekay Bouchiba is concerned and apparently his last team Al Shamal got relegated and that could explain why he may be readily available without huge amounts of money having to be offered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_Qatar_Stars_League

Hopefully he will be on Martin Saric sort of money and there are still plenty of funds available to effectively replace Chad Barrett as a goalscoring central striker and add experienced regular starter quality options at left and right fullback to name but three of the more pressing gaps on the roster.

So, the concern for you is that he will be too expensive and also we have more pressing issues position wise.

I think Winter will address the central striker, right back, and left back issues with time. Also, it is logical that TFC would sign the most impressive trialist first, and Soolsma and Martina for sure fall in that category as they started 3 out of 3 games. So while I see your concern about fixing the other positions first, I think that it wouldn't make sense not to get these signings out of the way first if your sure these are the guys you want.

Secondly, I checked his value at transfermarket and he is at 350,000. For comparison, Cann and Attakora are 150,000 and I think Peterson is somewhere around that as well. Will Johnson is 650,000 I believe and actually now that I think of it Jakovic has the same value as Bouchiba. So, Judging from that I am going to guess his salary will be between 150,000 and 200,000. I can live with that based on his experience, which will come in handy since our squad will be on the young side.

Thanks for the advice, but it's clear that I've been involved in this thread before the post you are referring to.

I didn't want to respond to your implication that JDG was an "issue" as there is nothing to substantiate such a claim at this point (especially as I had read Dobson's report from training camp yesterday which says that Winter doesn't intend to rush JDG along).

Thanks for the advice, but it's clear that I've been involved in this thread before the post you are referring to.

I didn't want to respond to your implication that JDG was an "issue" as there is nothing to substantiate such a claim at this point (especially as I had read Dobson's report from training camp yesterday which says that Winter doesn't intend to rush JDG along).

No doubt, I definitely don't believe Winter sees JDG as a problem... if anything he probably wants to build the club around him and De Rosario but they need guys who can play the ball (and fill in for the time JDG is out)... lets hope Bouchiba is that guy and I have a good feeling about Martina on the wing. If only Lindsay wasn't hurt we'd have a nice set of wingers.

Also with the Gold Cup as Winter mentioned in his article he clearly needs Bouchiba.. when JDG leaves for the Gold Cup we don't want to collapse

There are always people in threads like this who are determined to turn everything into an polarized argument as opposed to an intelligent discussion. As I initially suspected the player was signed specifically to do JDG's job. If a lot of money is involved in that it might look like a misallocation of resources in a few months time. If he is on Martin Saric sort of money no problemo.

Playing in Qatar usually seems to be a case of quality players being persuaded to leave high quality league competition where they could still make a genuine contribution because they have been offered obscene amounts of money. In Bouchiba's case he appears to have been playing for smaller alsoran Qatari clubs where that may not apply so much.

Some second division clubs not all of them at that. I mean we have to admit that Montreal's record against TFC is not the best but Vancouver and Puerto Rico are a different story. :)

"Well, we can beat some 2nd division clubs...sometimes...when Gaudette is not in goal...OK??" ;)

I always find the need for Montreal guys to post negative crap in this thread (and other TFC threads) fascinating.

How many TFC supporters are in the Montreal Roster Thread slagging the Impact?

I am by no means a particuarly huge TFC fan but must admit that I've noticed this too

It will likely changeonce they get into the big leagues though

Ok, let's get back to the original topic here please. I want to read about new signings!

What are the chances for the 3 Canadians on trial to get a contract with TFC? Any news about this?

I think Monsalve has the best shot, with Kocic moving up to the second GK spot. I've not heard much about Zavarise and Sidra, but if they show up in Orlando next week, then I'd say they have a fair shot of being retained.

I am by no means a particuarly huge TFC fan but must admit that I've noticed this too

It will likely changeonce they get into the big leagues though

It will likely change as in there will be more of them...

I think Monsalve has the best shot, with Kocic moving up to the second GK spot. I've not heard much about Zavarise and Sidra, but if they show up in Orlando next week, then I'd say they have a fair shot of being retained.

It will likely change as in there will be more of them...

Yup...were anxiously awaiting the first meeting of the Blue Patch Boys.

I always find the need for Montreal guys to post negative crap in this thread (and other TFC threads) fascinating.

How many TFC supporters are in the Montreal Roster Thread slagging the Impact?

Well the thread was pretty clean until a certain TFC poster started making snarky comments so don't bi-tch about the storm you created.

Well the thread was pretty clean until a certain TFC poster started making snarky comments so don't bi-tch about the storm you created.

Lets get this thread back on track....

I read today on MLSsoccer.com that Bas Ent claims he was offered a contract by TFC. The article is in dutch and I haven't read it but am only going on what MLS is reporting.

Are you sure that was recent? There was a Dutch language article a couple of months ago along those lines that led to clarification from Earl Cochrane that all that was in place was a discovery claim. I thought the word was he left the training camp in Turkey after being told by Aaron Winter that he wasn't going to be signed. He was effectively a Johnston/Preki invitee basically so no huge shock there.

Are you sure that was recent? There was a Dutch language article a couple of months ago along those lines that led to clarification from Earl Cochrane that all that was in place was a discovery claim. I thought the word was he left the training camp in Turkey after being told by Aaron Winter that he wasn't going to be signed. He was effectively a Johnston/Preki invitee basically so no huge shock there.

http://www.westonline.nl/sportitem/48670

Here is the article linked to the MLS site. I put it in a language translater

Ent uncertain transition to Toronto

Yesterday 11:54

KATWIJK - Footballer Bass Ent does not depart to Toronto FC. The team from Major League Soccer will not grant the attacker. Aron Winter, the new coach of the club, did not see him sitting in, reports topklasser.nl

Ent signed a contract for three years with the Canadian team, but that goes by the trainer switch, probably not. "Bas has received all the contracts and plans to turn to FIFA for legal action ', let Katwijk coach Cees Bruinink know.

The attacker in the coming period to try and ask for a contract to earn the MLS. If the player does not enforce contracts, then he may return back to Katwijk

....So, it turns out that he is taking legal action? hmm interesting, I wonder what will happen there.

Edit: also noteworthy, if his legal action doesn't pan out, he will be heading back to his third tier dutch club.

Archived