TFC Roster Dance 2011

MM2

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the team look bad though by MLS standards? Im not so sure.. remember a lot of last year can be put on bad management so we'll have to see. If you look at the canucks we have plus Frei you can find some positives... too bad Lindsay is out this season. Santos might be okay too but we definitely need to add players and fast... on the plus side Vancouver doesn't have any strikers so maybe we can get away with an extra week hahaha

+1. I'm a fan and I can admit that this team looks really bad. This is going to be a really long season unless they can make some serious magic happen. Can you imagine if the Leafs had 11 or 12 guys on their roster in mid September? Someone would burn down the ACC.

Replace 'guys' with 'NHL calibre players' and you are describing the Leafs. Yet ACC is still standing.

He signed a 4-year deal prior to last season and now that he was voted club MVP he wants it torn up and re-negotiated.

And everyone thinks he fights for the badge...is a selfless player...totally not like De Rosario...right guys? Where's that RPB board chorus?

The Cann contract situation is ****ed up:

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1258-Adrian-Cann-leaves-TFC-training-camp

"Since he signed his last deal it's become well-known in Toronto media circles - but rarely reported - that Cann had gone into the last negotiations without an agent. For those who remember, there was a lengthy period between the initial news that he was joining the club and his actual introduction. The delay had to do with the previous management including an unexpected agent's fee in the contract - to be paid to an agency who had first brought a wave of players to Toronto. Cann balked, but having already announced his departure from his previous club and without a lot of options, eventually acquiesced. It wasn't ideal and it certainly wasn't right but, in the world of football, players without protection getting taken advantage of isn't a new story."

This is pure speculation but here's what I think happened. TFC did renegociate with DeRo after all his antics, than Cann agent says "wait a minute, my client is the team MVP and is underpaid so let's try to pull a DeRo here and see if we can get more $$$". The moral of the story is that you should never deal with the terrorists...

This is pure speculation but here's what I think happened. TFC did renegociate with DeRo after all his antics, than Cann agent says "wait a minute, my client is the team MVP and is underpaid so let's try to pull a DeRo here and see if we can get more $$$". The moral of the story is that you should never deal with the terrorists...

Moral of the story: You shouldn't piss in the eye of the real MVP and spite him by handing out an MVP trophy to an average MLS quality defender who "shuts his mouth" and "fights for the badge."

Well, Cann was the anchor on defense last season and very, very, clearly a ridiculously stupid bargain at that price. No, he doesn't have a decade of football left in him but he's certainly worth a substantial raise by any measure.

Now whether or not he fits into the new regimes plans may be another thing but it's hard to imagine he should be expected to "fill the gap" on the cheap while that new regime gets their ducks in the row. If it looks like you're headed for the door anyway, then fu'k em.

No use pricking around. Thanks for the opportunity. Hope it works out for you all at TFC. Sincerely. But since it seems we're heading that direction anyway I might as will take my services elsewhere so you can get on with the business of finding what it is you feel you need at centre half.

But I'll be damned if I'll give you another season at bargain basement prices.

Bye, bye now. Bye bye.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Have to shake my head sometimes...

TFC are certainly not a playoff team at the moment. They desperately need an above average striker, along with help at wide midfield and each wing back position.

I'd go further and state things could be shaping up for an NYRB in 2009 type season unless more is done to sort those things out. Think it's time for people to move beyond the Mo Johnston era now a bit. The renegotiation of Adrian Cann's contract is very much a Mariner/Winter issue. Would it be a step too far to suggest that Cann may not be the type of player Winter wants anchoring his defence because he isn't comfortable enough in possession so there is a reluctance to pay him the regular starter level money he probably thinks he deserves after last season? Let's bear in mind that although he did OK defensively in the Greece friendly (personally thought Straith and Jackovic were the bigger issues) he looked a bit lost at times and out of his depth.

I actually think though Cann has a stronger argument for his contract situation. IMO he was clearly bent over on his original contract and taken advantage of with that BS 'agent fee'.

Karma is a ***** and what goes around comes around - IMO this what happens after 4 years of Mo - there is still $hit to clean up.

And to add - did everyone know he was on a 4-year contract?? Up until yesterday I was always under the impression he signed for 1 year and thought that was common knowledge. Not to mention both him and nana were in negotiations for the last .. 3 months?

Thought it was one year as well. Probably that's all that was guaranteed. Key snippet that's missing is if the player as well as the club/league has a say on whether options on seasons two to four actually got exercised because that could mean Cann is free to move back to Europe and isn't contractually tied to MLS at this point.

Also think people maybe need to bear in mind that the league holds the contracts and is the employer rather than TFC. Anything Mo did was ultimately through league HQ and if the Mariner/Winter regime wanted to give the player a new deal I don't think their hands would be tied by anything that happened this time last year. They could also get league HQ to draw up the relevant paperwork.

The impasse is clearly because the new regime have chosen not to reward Cann for what happened last season, which probably points to Winter not seeing Cann as central to his plans in terms of building the spine of his team given this dispute is pretty much the last thing TFC needs right now where picking up points in the short to medium term is concerned. There were already enough huge gaps in the roster for an NYRB in 2009 type season to be a distinct possibility without adding central defence into the mix.

Hopefully Winter's contacts will solve a lot of the issues but I was slightly aghast when I finally worked out who Nick Soolsma had been in the clips from Turkey. Far be it from me to second guess a Dutch national team standout and ex-Yong Ajax coach on that basis but Soolsma looked almost comically out of his depth to me, which doesn't seem so far fetched given he's been playing in one of the six section of the fourth tier Hoofdklasse rather than a level directly comparable to MLS. Didn't watch the Orlando games so hopefully he looked better in that context. Will watch the games from Charleston with interest given that always provides a better indication of what's about to unfold in the first few games of the season.

link

TFC site says Cann turned down a new contract offer from the club. So I guess TFC are admitting he was underpaid in 2010 but he still wants more than they are offering. Hard to know if he is justified without knowing what is being offered.

Was reading elsewhere (speed reading threads on RPB board) that Ives Galarcep had claimed he was going to be on $120k this season but didn't see any sign of that on Galarcep's blog. Did anyone else think he didn't look quite so good late last season after Dasovic opened things up a bit and Preki's style of play might have suited him more than Winter's is likely to? If that number is accurate personally think it's about what he can reasonably expect.

Was reading elsewhere (speed reading threads on RPB board) that Ives Galarcep had claimed he was going to be on $120k this season but didn't see any sign of that on Galarcep's blog. Did anyone else think he didn't look quite so good late last season after Dasovic opened things up a bit and Preki's style of play might have suited him more than Winter's is likely to? If that number is accurate personally think it's about what he can reasonably expect.

Ya 100-120k is what Adrian deserves for his quality... hes had one succesful season at this level

Ya 100-120k is what Adrian deserves for his quality... hes had one succesful season at this level

Yeah that's definitely the range I'd put him in too, but the latter part of your statement is misleading, for one reason "How Many TFC players have ever had a Succesful Season?"

Cann is one of the few faces that has come through TFC and done more than what was expected of him.

Cann definitely had some very poor games down the stretch under Dasovic (@ Seattle was one that stands out). Maybe because he played every minute since signing on, but also maybe abandoning Preki's disciplined system left him exposed. I would expect while Winter will probably play a similar brand of attack-oriented tactics, I would also think he'll have everyone's role nailed down. Cann has some glaring weaknesses but his strengths of being good in the air, above average timing on challenges as well as adhering to the "when in doubt put it out" philosophy makes him worthwhile in MLS IMO.

I hope he'd get something at least 120K as Usanov and Hscanovics both made in that area and were complete disasters.

Archived