TFC Roster Dance 2011

MM2

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edit: also noteworthy, if his legal action doesn't pan out, he will be heading back to his third tier dutch club.

On the bright side that's one level up from Nick Soolsma who I just read on the RPB board played 2nd division in Oman on a previous foray out of the Netherlands to turn fully pro.

The original link to the Dutch article doesn't work so here's the RPB post with a translation of what was in it:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=26595

Hopefully the stuff about not playing in eerste divisie (i.e. the second tier) and dropping to the amateurs was because he could make more money in business is accurate but you don't meet many players who will tell you that they didn't make it onto a team because they weren't good enough so that has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

On the bright side that's one level up from Nick Soolsma who I just read on the RPB board played 2nd division in Oman on a previous foray out of the Netherlands to turn fully pro.

The original link to the Dutch article doesn't work so here's the RPB post with a translation of what was in it:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=26595

Hopefully the stuff about not playing in eerste divisie (i.e. the second tier) and dropping to the amateurs was because he could make more money in business is accurate but you don't meet many players who will tell you that they didn't make it onto a team because they weren't good enough so that has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Just goes to show you every coach has their favourites... this Soolsma kid is getting a free ride because way back when he played for Ajax youth

He was at Volendam as a youth player so I don't think it's quite that simple (think it's Martina who is the Yong Ajax guy):

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Soolsma

but nothing on his resume inspires confidence that he is likely to be of MLS quality. The last lower division Dutch player to play at TFC, Lesly Fellinga, didn't hang around long after all.

He was at Volendam as a youth player so I don't think it's quite that simple (think it's Martina who is the Yong Ajax guy):

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Soolsma

but nothing on his resume inspires confidence that he is likely to be of MLS quality. The last lower division Dutch player to play at TFC, Lesly Fellinga, didn't hang around long after all.

You also have to question how Ornoch who has played in Danish Superliga and Eredivise (both briefly) and the dutch second division pretty regularly doesn't even get a fair shake.. I'm not saying Ornoch is good enough but certainly seems more qualified than Soolsma. Hell, Sidra seems more qualified than Soolsma.

yeah it is pretty strange, and not only did he win a contract but he started 3 out of 3 games so far. when is the first tfc game that will be streamed? charleston tourney?

Strange but pretty predictable too. Soolsma has such an advantage in that he can speak dutch, I'm sure he was brown nosing hard. Imagine being a Canadian hockey player who had only played Jr. A and then going for a try out to a team that Messier was coaching in Finland.

yeah it is pretty strange, and not only did he win a contract but he started 3 out of 3 games so far. when is the first tfc game that will be streamed? charleston tourney?

Looks like we are getting streams of the Orlando games as well:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/mlssoccercom-stream-select-disney-games

Strange but pretty predictable too. Soolsma has such an advantage in that he can speak dutch, I'm sure he was brown nosing hard. Imagine being a Canadian hockey player who had only played Jr. A and then going for a try out to a team that Messier was coaching in Finland.

Probably best to wait and see what he can do at this point. If he is being brought in primarily to play a specific sort of tactical role on the left there may be more to it than that given naturally left sided players are tougher to find. Hopefully he is on Adrian Cann sort of money at most but the stuff about going overseas to earn more than he would in the Eerste Divisie means that number will be one to examine closely when the players union starts releasing all the salaries again later this year.

Do you think this player can fit well in the team...

he is trying out for the timbers.... If tfc can get him at a good price I think he can help in offence where we need players like him...

As far as I know , he played for barcelona youth system , under 20 spain team , greece , second division italy , and he was also called for the peruvian national team at some point...

I also read he had a contract disputes plus a fee injuries which kept him out for a while......

Not sure if it belongs here or not but Jason Bent has been announced as assistant coach:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/bent-named-assistant-coach

Not in any way surprising that the people who ran the club after Preki's departure (Dasovic, Cochrane, Brennan and maybe even Dichio to an extent) are now very much sidelined under the new regime. Two of those four in particular made their power play for the big jobs and failed to land them so they were never likely to be able to comfortably work with the people who eventually got those jobs instead. Normally they would be shown the door at most clubs but Tom Anselmi's comments about Dasovic and Cochrane still having jobs with the organization no matter what happens shortly after their interim appointments probably prevents that from happening right now.

Not sure if it belongs here or not but Jason Bent has been announced as assistant coach:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/02/bent-named-assistant-coach

Not in any way surprising that the people who ran the club after Preki's departure (Dasovic, Cochrane, Brennan and maybe even Dichio to an extent) are now very much sidelined under the new regime. They made their power play for the big jobs and failed to land them and they were never likely to be able to comfortably work with the people who eventually got those jobs instead. Normally they would be shown the door at most clubs.

Good news, with Winter and Bent there should be a real focus on Canadian youth

Jason Bent has definitely earned his promotion based on getting the TFC Academy team to be competitive with even the top CSL teams (i.e. not just the likes of London City and the NY Astros) something I suspect few people would have predicted would be possible. The Canadian youth at TFC Academy need to earn their promotions to the senior roster in much the same way. If that happens to the extent that Aron Winter has talked about (i.e. no need to use the superdraft because of it) very much on merit rather than based on a need to meet a challenging domestic roster content regulation it would help to shift certain attitudes within Canadian soccer in a very healthy way.

Not in any way surprising that the people who ran the club after Preki's departure (Dasovic, Cochrane, Brennan and maybe even Dichio to an extent) are now very much sidelined under the new regime. Two of those four in particular made their power play for the big jobs and failed to land them so they were never likely to be able to comfortably work with the people who eventually got those jobs instead.

Let's be clear (for the sake of any misunderstanding or speculation from those reading this) that the two you are referring to are Cochrane & Dasovic. Brennan & Dichio were effectively forced to retire by Mo Johnston (at least from what I've heard) and given positions as compensation with the club.

I'm hearing that Brennan may in fact be replacing Bent at the U16 level.

I've been away for a few days - has Dasovic's departure been officially announced? I haven't seen anything.

The two were Dasovic and Cochrane. Think that's obvious enough. My understanding mainly gleaned from occasional skims through the RPB board is that Brennan is with the Academy and Dasovic now has some sort of scouting role.

Edit: Danny D to the Youth Academy according to a tweet from the man himself:

http://twitter.com/DannyDichio/statuses/40228686917533696

Great news for Jason Bent becoming Assistant with 1st Team @ TFC .Very excited too as i am inheriting his impressive U19 team as Head Coach.

So only Mike Toshack hangs around in first team terms but goalie coaches are off to one side doing their own thing for the most part so he isn't likely to be a source of potential conflict.

Emmanuel Gomez waived, Nick Soolsma added, leaving the team with 14 playes on the roster, lots of signings to come.

(Nicholas Lindsay on Injury Reserve)

Aaah another patch up off season by TFC, well done... it would be nice to see some of the young guys step up

Do you think this player can fit well in the team...

he is trying out for the timbers.... If tfc can get him at a good price I think he can help in offence where we need players like him...

As far as I know , he played for barcelona youth system , under 20 spain team , greece , second division italy , and he was also called for the peruvian national team at some point...

I also read he had a contract disputes plus a fee injuries which kept him out for a while......

He (Roberto Merino) looks really good bad do you think he could play in MLS?? Not sure if he could do all these moves in the MLS playing on turf he could get injured and man handled

As of right now, here's the roster:

3 D Nana Attakora 21 Canada

12 D Adrian Cann 30 Canada

6 M Julian de Guzman 29 Canada

14 M Dwayne De Rosario 32 Canada

24 GK Stefan Frei 24 Switzerland

8 D Dan Gargan 28 USA

20 D Ty Harden 26 USA

28 D Doneil Henry 17 Canada

30 GK Milos Kocic 25 Serbia

21 M Nick LaBrocca 26 USA

37 M Nicholas Lindsay 18 Canada

23 M Jacob Peterson 25 USA

29 F Maicon Santos 26 Brazil

11 M Nathan Sturgis 23 USA

XX D Nick Soolsma ?? NED

I think Soolsma was signed right?

I put off-budget (or atleast, i assumed to be off-budget) players in italics...

It's a decent team, but of course no depth and lots of those guys are replaceable. It appears to me they just have cut the dead weight from last year, which is a good thing.

Ehhh that's essentially the same team from last year that didn't make the playoffs, but with no left back or right back and with Barrett gone, minus 10 goals.

I agree with cutting the dead wood but also the reality that no one of better quality has come in (or prospects of) to make this squad any better than what we saw at the start of 2010.

Ehhh that's essentially the same team from last year that didn't make the playoffs, but with no left back or right back and with Barrett gone, minus 10 goals.

I agree with cutting the dead wood but also the reality that no one of better quality has come in (or prospects of) to make this squad any better than what we saw at the start of 2010.

+1. I'm a fan and I can admit that this team looks really bad. This is going to be a really long season unless they can make some serious magic happen. Can you imagine if the Leafs had 11 or 12 guys on their roster in mid September? Someone would burn down the ACC.

Archived