De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Julian will have to get his agent to move his butt to find a team with a couple weeks left in the transfer window.

Because he's out of contract, would he have to wait until the transfer window reopens or could he sign at any time, even after Sept. 1st?

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Because he's out of contract, would he have to wait until the transfer window reopens or could he sign at any time, even after Sept. 1st?

He can sign at any time because he is out of contract. Anyways there are still two weeks remaining, which is a long time.

If Espanyol is out of the question, don't be surprised if he ends up outside of Spain.

Really unfortunate that Espanyol didn't work out.

My guess is Holland (with a big team in order to get UEFA CL exposure) or maybe Germany.

One thing for sure is that he won't be going just anywhere. He turned down big money in MLS so that tells me that he isn't willing to settle for just any club situation and because he is a free agent, he can wait and see where a good opportunity arises.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

My understanding of it is that teams are only bound by the transfer window when trying to move contracted players from one club to another. Since JDG is out of contract and is therefore clubless, he can sign for any club at any time.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

My understanding of it is that teams are only bound by the transfer window when trying to move contracted players from one club to another. Since JDG is out of contract and is therefore clubless, he can sign for any club at any time.

You are all right of course, my bad. So that means he has a bit more time to negotiate, there is not the same rush.

Reports in Spain suggest Espanyol are set to finalise a deal for Deportivo La Coruna's Julian De Guzman, while they also want to sign Guglielmo Stendardo on loan from Juventus. De Guzman is understood to be on his way to the Barcelona-based club, while talks over whether Lola Smiljanic stays or is put up for sale will be decided on Friday.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5494990,00.html

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Blackdude

Reports in Spain suggest Espanyol are set to finalise a deal for Deportivo La Coruna's Julian De Guzman, while they also want to sign Guglielmo Stendardo on loan from Juventus. De Guzman is understood to be on his way to the Barcelona-based club, while talks over whether Lola Smiljanic stays or is put up for sale will be decided on Friday.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5494990,00.html

Hi B-Dude. The article is wrong, it is Thursday's news, while the Monday press confirms what I have been saying. They are now looking at Coloccini on loan and a player for the left side it seems. And Lola is staying. Only if someone comes up with an offer for Lola and he decides to take it (he does not get that much playing time) could Espanyol change its mind and go for Julian. Funny thing is, anywhere Lola could go Julian could too, and cheaper. And just as good.

But the Sky report is three days stale and not correct, the Catalan press most certainly has confirmed they've ruled out Julian except in the case of a Lola transfer out.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ Feyenoord will be transfering Jono somewhere (Spain or England are my bets). He won't resign with them so they need to sell him or risk losing on a free. Feyenoord is hurting for money a bit.

This looks interesting. If this comes true and after some time he losses his dutch nationality, will he lose as well his eligibility to play for Netherlands?

^ He has his dutch passport. He won't lose it simply by moving away.

The Dutch could choose to cap him in a senior friendly or a meaningless WCQ match (the Dutch are guaranteed a spot at the 2010 WC so they could conceivably use the remaining WCQ matches to try out some younger players). He's healthy again so he MIGHT be back in the plans for the men in Orange.

The Dutch could choose to cap him in a senior friendly or a meaningless WCQ match (the Dutch are guaranteed a spot at the 2010 WC so they could conceivably use the remaining WCQ matches to try out some younger players). He's healthy again so he MIGHT be back in the plans for the men in Orange.

I think the new rule isn't allowing that possibility anymore. It must be an official FIFA game (Euro, ECQ, World Cup, WCQ, Confederations Cup).

The Dutch have one qualifier left so if they want to lock him up they'll have to do it then. Jono started the first game of the season on the bench and has moved into the starting lineup the past 2 games since 19 year old Georgio Wijnaldum went down with injury.

I think he will be lucky to get 10 caps with the dutch over the course of his career, at this rate anyways. He (and Feynoord)really needs to have a big year to warrent a consideration IMO. Looking at their squad list, I see midfielders schaars and da silva with 5 and 10 caps respectivly, but I wonder if they would have even been noticed if AZ Alkmaar never had a standout season? So, mabye if Feynoord finishes in the top 3 or 4 and De Guzman has a big season he will be on his way to SA and a career with the dutch.

Also, just want to mention that da silva and schaars have a market value of 4.2-4.6 million euros and 6.0-6.7 million euros, while De Guzman is valued between 5.7-6.5 million euros. Actually it is kind of interesting when you find our CMNT player values and they seem surprisingly small. Atiba Hutchinson for example is valued at 2.5-3 million euros and he is one of our best players and Mike Kulkowski, arguably our best wing back is between 1.1-1.5 million euros. Compare that with Wilson Palacios who is valued between 12.5-13 million euros! Looking at these figures was an indication to me that we overrate our players greatly!

edit: link if anyone is interested http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/verein/192/roda-jc-kerkrade/uebersicht/startseite.html

My question was in the context he would lose his nationality after some years (5 years) and therefore lose his password, but you answered more or less my question, I just wonder (always in the context he would move away Netherlands) if he has to remain a minimum of 190 days per year in the country(something like that) to remain "dutch".

once you have a passport for a particular country, its usually very difficult for that country to take your citizenship away. By the nature of being a citizen, you don't have a residency requirement and can live anywhere in the world (provided the other country will have you) and retain your citizenship. There is also generally not a two tier type of citizenship where those born in the country have greater rights vis-a-vis their citizenship than those that have acquired it after birth.

Of course, some countries have rules against taking (or keeping) other citizenships (see Nsaliwa's situation) or if they have been later found out to have acquired the citizenship fraudulently. There has been a recent trend to a two tier system where those that have acquired citezenship could have it later removed if they commit a crime or terrorist act but that is an extreme situation (and much criticised as it can leave a person stateless).

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by loyola

What's going on with JDG? Is he planning a sabbatical?

i'm told he is taking his time. He's a free agent so he can go anywhere, whenever.

Probably waiting for the best possible scenario.

Guest Jeffery S.

There is a general consensus in the Spanish press, reading a couple of sources, that there is an excess of mids right now on the rosters of 1st division. Meaning for Julian to sign it will be tough, many teams are in fact trying to offload mids.

Like many here I'd like to see him sign soon, as is he is often slow to get going on his teams, and he has missed an entire preseason, meaning he may take a few months as is to settle in as a starter wherever he goes.

Watching Villa briefly yesterday, I feel that Sidwell is a man just waiting for his job to be taken away and Julian is the type of player that could really transform that club. He could play a similar role to what he does with Canada -whilst making some good cash and playing in a great league where he has yet to play. No doubt his own value now increases tremendoulsy with the window closing, to Jeffrey's point, it would seem England is in exactly the opposite position when it comes to holding mids. Rumours anyone?

Latest rhumours have Jules headed to Germany or Holland:

"Neue Presse has free agent Canada star Julian de Guzmán closest to joining Hannover 96, with PSV Eindhoven and Stuttgart also interested..."

(from Soccer365)

Considering the lack of interest in Spain, and my belief that JDG isn't even on the EPL radar (not due to lack of skill, just due to lack of knowledge) - this might be the best thing open to him at the moment.

Archived