De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

It would seem that he is going to a team of similar strength as Depor.

Depor finished seventh last year whereas Espanyol finished 10th last year, 12th in the year before and 11th in the year before that. Depor finished nineth and thirteenth in prior years.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Espanyol and Depor are indeed fairly equivalent clubs. It might be fair to say that Depor is the more successful club of the two, especially over the last couple of decades.

However, with that new stadium, I guess its possible Espanyol is starting to see themselves as a more ambitious club. Deportivo is deeply in debt and I can see that club having some difficulty this season and possibly beyond.

IMO, a parallel move from one mid table squad to another within La Liga is better than moving to a weaker league, even if it means playing for a contender in that weaker league

Obtaining a De Guzman shirt won't be any easier with the RCD Espanyol kit being made by UhlSport, a rather obscure company, at least in Canada. On top of that it's almost the same as the Deportivo one, blue and white stripes.

On the plus side they have an english version of their webpage.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ Espanyol and Depor are indeed fairly equivalent clubs. It might be fair to say that Depor is the more successful club of the two, especially over the last couple of decades.

However, with that new stadium, I guess its possible Espanyol is starting to see themselves as a more ambitious club. Deportivo is deeply in debt and I can see that club having some difficulty this season and possibly beyond.

IMO, a parallel move from one mid table squad to another within La Liga is better than moving to a weaker league, even if it means playing for a contender in that weaker league

In recent history Depor has been better than Espanyol but it looks like Espanyol is on its way up while Depor is in decline. It is debateable whether Espanyol will be able to move into the top echelons in Spain for a long time or will sink back down after several years like Depor. Yet at least if this is true he seems to be joining them at the right time as their glory years are starting. With Depor he joined them after they had already peaked and were starting to slip.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Obtaining a De Guzman shirt won't be any easier with the RCD Espanyol kit being made by UhlSport, a rather obscure company, at least in Canada. On top of that it's almost the same as the Deportivo one, blue and white stripes.

On the plus side they have an english version of their webpage.

No different than when he was at Hannover, which also used Uhlsport.

I guess you can order online, or get a friend to visit Spain ...

Guest Jeffery S.

For those interested in shirts, just come on over and buy one. Or online. Or order from a store. Is that so hard?

As for Espanyol-Depor comparisons. Espanyol is one of the 10 founding teams of Spanish 1st division, and historically is up there in terms of overall seasons in top flight, total points, all that. Never won the league, a few Spanish Cups in recent years, an UEFA final. Depor was nothing, a minor side, until the early 90s. But they went further by winning a league and having some great years in Champions.

Problem with Espanyol I think is that they have tended to be poorly run, waste a lot of talent they develop (youth teams are excellent, as are their women), seem to make decisions that suggest corruption in the head office, they have investment groups doing signings and then selling against the will of the coach. It is a bit rancid at the top, and that affects the rest.

They should always be close to an UEFA spot and should make Champions every now and then, as I see it.

As for the stadium, after the Olympic with the track and the cooler atmosphere in the stands, so far away, the new one is incredible. Best you can do for that kind of money (maybe 110 million CDN, a bit more).

Guest Jeffery S.

Article in Sport, Barcelona daily, for Tuesday paper edition release, says Julian is Espanyol's main option for defensive mid and that they want to get it down before the end of the week. The offer is for just one year though, with an option for another. A short contract, and it seems Julian would like something longer, as is understandable. Out of contract at age 30 is not a good thing, even if Espanyol has the money to raise his Depor salary for this season and another.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idtipusrecurs_PK=7&idnoticia_PK=634829

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by villus

I think this is great news. Espanyol will be getting great value for JDG. Hopefully they give him a chance to play a bit more offensive.

As for this, they will play with two strikers, Luis Garcia and Ben Sahar, an attacking mid like De la Pena, another that can work the wing, like Coromina, maybe Nakamura in there. A more versatile do-all mid, which could be Verdu also signed from Depor, and a defensive mid. That latter would be Julian. So I think he will play even further away from the goal at Espanyol than at Depor.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Yeah, it's a flippant criticism, but does he have to go somewhere with the exact same kit? Kinda boring.

well, I have that special Black and Gold Deportivo 3rd jersey so the Espanyol kit would be totally different.

Guest Jeffery S.

August 6 Sport says it is a done deal but they are taking some days before announcing it, don't know why really. Could take a week to 10 days. Seems they are musing about other possibilities first, including ex Betis Arzu and others in S. America.

One interesting detail is that is says Julian is training with a German team. Is his kid still in Germany, and if so where? Who would he be training with with the Bundesliga pretty well underway, at least the Pokal has started.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=635254&idseccio_PK=804

Guest Jeffery S.

Appreciate it, really do, though I am in Van these days. Thankfully, as I could watch Barcelona tonight at a decent hour.

So when Julian is my "neighbour" in BCN I guess I will have to finally do an interview for the Vs with him. Must admit I am damn excited about him being at Espanyol if it works out, but let's wait as the Espanyol board is weird. And this wait means he won't go on their preseason trip to Italy, too bad.

Guest Jeffery S.

Espanyol shocker as defender Dani Jarque, 26, died today of a heart attack in the team hotel in Italy. They were to play Bologna this weekend. Was born in the same town and very close to where the Gasol brothers grew up, he'd been in the Espanyol system since the age of 12, was considered one of the best in his position in Spain, close to the national team and transferring up to a stronger side.

The team is clearly destroyed by this, it may put things in check for a few days.

Guest Jeffery S.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article6789038.ece

For those who missed the story, though it was in the headlines. He was a great guy, very soft spoken and talented, was just named Espanyol captain.

This affects the week Julian was supposed to sign in a few ways. First, they cancelled their match vs. Bologna and a midweek game vs. Livorno. They have a funeral this week that affects the team greatly, and may put on hold some negotiations.

Second, it makes signing a reliable top flight defender a priority, he was a very strong player. That could cut into the budget, and it could affect things if they choose a non-Euro player.

In spite of one and two, Hurtado the current def mid for Espanyol came out Saturday (I think the quotes are from before Jarque's death) acknowledging that Espanyol needed to give him competition in the position. Though he also referred to an academy player being brought into the first team also in that spot. So it seems Espanyol is still looking, they will sign someone for holding mid, and that when things calm down, maybe by midweek, some news might appear.

Guest Jeffery S.

Espanyol just started training again today, a full week off after the death of Jarque, two friendlies lost, only one more before the season starts in 2 weeks. So as I mentioned no news on the transfer front until today.

The press says they´ll sign two more players: a centre back and a midfielder.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idtipusrecurs_PK=7&idnoticia_PK=637154

Losing Jarque obliges them to sign a centre back, they have a few options but most involve a transfer fee or taking someone on loan that might have a higher salary. That is the priority.

But the press also insists that they still want to sign an alternate at holding mid to Hurtado, and they may release another mid, Serbian Lola. With Julian coming on a free transfer, with little time to look at the other options available over this last week, I think his chances are good. Good of him and his representative for being quiet these days, because any sign of being in a hurry while RCD Espanyol is burying their captain would not have gone down well at all.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian has been ruled out by Espanyol. After the death of Jarque they have decided to change as little as possible. They have to sign a centre back, and will not take on a new defensive mid as they are keeping the Serbian Lola, who plays as non-EU. Meaning that with Lola they can't legally take on another non-EU player.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=637503&idseccio_PK=804

The idea was that they were going to listen to offers to try to make some money off the Serbian, but since none have come that interest them they are going to keep him.

Julian will have to get his agent to move his butt to find a team with a couple weeks left in the transfer window.

Archived