De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by dyslexic nam

I am wondering if the loss of Luka Modric would (re)open the door to a possible Tottenham move. I guess I am biased due to my love of the EPL, but I'd love to see him playing for Spurs on a regular basis. My understanding is that 'arry didn't manage to get many of the transfer targets he was hoping for on deadline day, so I am keeping my fingers crossed (pure speculation here). They got Kranjar, but I have mostly seen him on the wing, so there may still be room in the middle for a defensive mid with some offensive flair going forward.

Modric mostly plays on the left wing. I don`t think it changes the probability that Spurs will call JDG. That is why Spurs brought Kranjcar. JDG will go to Germany.

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

Not just cause im a toon fan, but I really think JDG would be a perfect fit at NUFC.. plus they're dying to sign some players with such a thin squad.. lol, dreaming, but would be awesome!

No, no, that definitely is just because you are a toon fan. No one else in their right mind would feel that is a good fit for JDG (Dont mean any offense by this but 2nd division in the country, shambolic organization, crap side, manager merry-go-round, etc.).

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

No, no, that definitely is just because you are a toon fan. No one else in their right mind would feel that is a good fit for JDG (Dont mean any offense by this but 2nd division in the country, shambolic organization, crap side, manager merry-go-round, etc.).

No offense taken. And as a toon fan, who follows the team closely I am aware that they are top of the best second division league in the world, pulling in 4th or 5th highest attendance in England (almost every game) and that being on the verge of a sell they will likely be under new, and probably better management than now (not hard to beat with Ashley).

He would also be playing with the likes of Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Jonas Guttierez, Steven Taylor, etc... Hardly mediocre players.

Anyways, he won't end up there obviously, but I'd love to see him there.. :D

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

No offense taken. And as a toon fan, who follows the team closely I am aware that they are top of the best second division league in the world, pulling in 4th or 5th highest attendance in England (almost every game) and that being on the verge of a sell they will likely be under new, and probably better management than now (not hard to beat with Ashley).

He would also be playing with the likes of Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Jonas Guttierez, Steven Taylor, etc... Hardly mediocre players.

Anyways, he won't end up there obviously, but I'd love to see him there.. :D

"He would also be playing with the likes of Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Jonas Guttierez, Steven Taylor, etc... Hardly mediocre players."

If they aren't medicore (by Premiership standards), then why did they get relegated. That list of players epitomizes the word 'mediocre'.

If Mike Ashley left the club, and a stable Chairman took over, I think it would be a decent fit. Newcastle obviously scouted Deportivo extensively, and JDG would really have a great opportunity to be the midfield general at Toon. I think the St James Park faithful would absolutely love his play. How Julian would like the Newcastle weather is entirely another question though.

I really do think he should look to England. His time in Germany and Spain have made him perfectly suited for their game.. Fitness, work rate, and box to box skill. That should command 30k per week at least, which is on par with the TFC offer as I understand it.

Let's not get off topic here by bashing Newcastle, I come to this thread for solid JDG news.

I think that we can all agree that Newcastle are a great club, in terms of fanbase, stadium atmosphere, history, and overall support. They are however in one hell of a mess right now. I mean, this legendary club is for sale for not much more than Crissy Ronaldo cost this summer. JDG would not be doing himself any favours by going there. Sorry Bratworst. My team Zaragoza were in a very similar boat last year, so I know how it feels...they're pretty much the spanish equivalent of the Toons.

quote:Big things are brewing at Toronto FC.

After months of negotiations, Julian De Guzman has finally agreed to become Toronto FC's designated player. As this story is published on Friday evening, I can confirm that Mo Johnston is actively shopping players to other club's within the MLS in a desperate attempt to clear cap room for the Canadian international, who has decided that now is the right time to play with his hometown club.

Until something is done there, it appears Julian will have to wait.

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/09/04/25128.aspx

Pending this all goes through.

Part of me hurts to know that our best player will be going from La Liga to the MLS.

But part of my heart is smiling at the knowledge that Canada's best player will be representing his home-town team and will be generating that much more interest in the game, week-in and week-out.

There's a certain value to keeping the stars at home, maybe this will be a tipping point.

Best of luck to you Julian!

I must say this caought by a huge surprise.

What does this say about JDG. It'll will be intresting to see if he says what took so long what his offers in europe were and why he decided to come back to this TFC offer.

Was it money, lack of intrest from big clubs or any clubs, or was it National pride.

maybe a mix of all three or 2 whatever it is TFC fans must be jumping through there roof. I support TFC and have a jersey even though I will back my hometown club the Whitecaps when they ultimatley reach the MLS till then TFC is my team in the MLS.

I'm now stoked to pick up a copy of FIFA 10 and play with the new look TFC online against Real Madrid wich I garuantee is the team everyone chooses on the other side.

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

I must say this caought by a huge surprise.

What does this say about JDG. It'll will be intresting to see if he says what took so long what his offers in europe were and why he decided to come back to this TFC offer.

Was it money, lack of intrest from big clubs or any clubs, or was it National pride.

It is obviously money combined with a lack of comparable offers from Europe. While playing at home is an attraction, if that and other factors were the main consideration he would have signed when the offer was first made. TFC probably made the best financial offer but when he turned it down he had some other things in the works with salaries in the same ballpark. Julian is very well respected in Germany and I am sure he could have signed with a Bundesliga club. However, it also wouldn't surprise me if the Bundesliga clubs offers were financially well below that of TFC and the other clubs he was negotiating with. Especially since he spent a lot of time negotiating with TFC and Spanish clubs so by this time most Bundesliga teams have already signed the players they are willing to pay big money to and wouldn't have the budget for another big signing.

I have mixed feelings about this even overlooking the fact that a very good player will sign with a rival team to mine. As I posted already I would like him to go to a league where he can play the role of an offensive, playmaking midfielder and he will certainly be able to do this in MLS. Yet I would have preferred he do this in a higher level league like the Bundesliga. On the other hand at least he will be used to playing with a number of other national team players who play for TFC.

I think this is very bad news. TFC might be my co-favourite club, but the Toronto MB hit the nail on the head.

Canada's best player just went from a mid table giant in La Liga, to the MLS.

I agree with all of the positive things that are being said about it, but it still just doesn't feel right. I'd have much rather have seen this happen in 3-4 years.

Julian for TFC is great news for Toronto's level of play. How much improvement can occur when he'd replace Robinson? From a marketing perspective, you now have JDG and DDR on the same team. TFC and soccer's profile in the Toronto (and Canadian) sports scene just got a huge boost. Now if it translates to on-field success ...

Also as much as I despise Landon Donovan, I don't think his career and level of play has been diminished by playing in MLS.

Archived