De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I agree with YNWA...its HIGHLY unlikely that EPL clubs are unaware of Julian. its more likely that the EPL clubs who might have expressed interest in him in the past have not been met by Julian with equal amounts of interest to go play there. EPL ain't for everyone.

Its clear to me, based on the amount of money he turned down to join TFC, that Julian is very picky about where he will play his club football. Some might criticize this, some might admire it. I just want to see him playing again.

Choosing to play in Germany makes sense (proximity to his children). I would not be disappointed if he chose to sign with a Bundesliga club because that means lots of opportunities to see him play on GolTV

Edit: The Hannover rumours are just that...rumours (for now). Hannover has had a slow start to the season and their manager has already stepped down so it might not be a big surprise if they would be looking for reinforcements.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

any truth to the 'Julian training with Monchengladbach' rumour?

We did hear he was staying fit training in Germany, this was from about mid-August or even earlier.

You´d figure he´d try to be close to his kid, they were in Hannover but who knows where the child´s mother may be now. In any case, Gladbach would have been easy to set up with the Canucks there.

As for other rumours, I´d frankly like to see him avoid Hannover as it would look like a step back, almost a retirement move. Stuttgart sounds good though, a club with more potential as is.

In EPL the best rumours were about Spurs being intrerested back in the Xmas break.

And re Martinez at Wigan: is he over his head or will they turn things around? Is he going overboard signing Catalans for the team?

^I guess if I knew anything about hiring managers I'd be a chairman, but I think Martinez will do very well at Wigan continue on the road of establishing them as a top 10 side in England and a European contender. He did very well at Swansea. Promotion out of League One is not an easy task and he followed it up with a very solid campaign in the Championship.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

^ I agree with YNWA...its HIGHLY unlikely that EPL clubs are unaware of Julian. its more likely that the EPL clubs who might have expressed interest in him in the past have not been met by Julian with equal amounts of interest to go play there. EPL ain't for everyone.

VP I have to call BS on this. Why would anyone not want to play in what is probably the best league in the world and is definitely the best paid and most prominent league in the world? That doesn't mean though that he would accept any offer just because it is EPL. Tottenham's management problems would probably make any player with other options wary of signing with them. I think he would also want to go somewhere where he thought he would be a starter and not just a well paid backup.

Even though I usually like our players to play at the highest level possible I actually think it might be to the advantage of the national team for him to play in Germany instead of Spain or EPL. In the two top leagues he will probably always be a defensive role player unless he were to sign with a team where relegation was always a danger. He probably does not have the skills to play the creative, offensive role in either of these two leagues that he plays with the national team. He might be able to develop his skills to that level if given a chance but neither EPL or La Liga are really in the business of developing players skills unless they are young potential stars. They want already developed players.

The Bundesliga is still a very high level league but just enough below those two that his offensive abilities are good enough that he could play this role for a decent team. Plus, La Liga has a surplus of offensive players and a deficit of defensive while the Bundesliga is the opposite, they have enough good defensive players that they can use Julian more creatively. Indeed while Julian's skills improved in many areas in La Liga what did not improve was his offensive play in fact I would say it probably regressed. In the season before he left Hannover he was becoming their midfield general which is the role we need him to play for the national team. At Depor he became a midfield defensive destroyer a role for which our national team has many options. I think it would be good for him to return to a team and league where he could start developing his skills in the direction we need him to develop for the benefit of our national team.

id be disappointed if he went back to germany...he is our only player playing in a top 3 league...it would be a shame to have him step backwards in what is the absolute prime of his career...if he doesnt sign with a top level team with this contract, he will probably lose that opportunity forever...2 years in germany and he will be 30 years old and on the downside of his career.

its probably why he is taking so long to sign....this contract is the big one for him....it will define the pinnacle of his career.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

id be disappointed if he went back to germany...he is our only player playing in a top 3 league...it would be a shame to have him step backwards in what is the absolute prime of his career...if he doesnt sign with a top level team with this contract, he will probably lose that opportunity forever...2 years in germany and he will be 30 years old and on the downside of his career.

its probably why he is taking so long to sign....this contract is the big one for him....it will define the pinnacle of his career.

With a strong year from German clubs this might be the year Germany steps into the top three, in UFEA coefficients anyway ;). I don't really think Germany is that far of a step back, if at all. If Jules can get on a German Club like Stuttgart who are in the mix for the champions league or UEFA cup usually that’s better than a mid table Spanish club.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

There is no top 3 right now. There is a top 2 and a top 4. Italy is well off the pace of Spain and England right now and much closer to the level of the Bundesliga. There is a big gap between England/Spain and Italy in both UEFA coefficients and playing level. Again I think it is wrong to merely look at the league and team he is playing at. I would rather him be a dominant figure, ie. one of the best players and leaders, in a decent Bundesliga club than a role player at a club in La Liga or EPL. One of the biggest problems our national team has is that we have too many guys who are role players at a decent level and not enough guys who are dominant players. Look at Amado Guevera who has never made it to the top levels of professional soccer yet is able to dominate against DeGuzman who has played at a higher level.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

VP I have to call BS on this. Why would anyone not want to play in what is probably the best league in the world and is definitely the best paid and most prominent league in the world?

You can call BS all you want Grizzly but I wrote what I wrote for a reason and I stand by it. For various reasons, not everyone in the footballing world casts desirous eyes on the EPL.

Your points aren't wrong...EPL is</u> perhaps the best league in the world (I personally prefer La Liga) and it definitely pays the best. However, that might not be his prime motivating factors. If money was JDG's #1 motivation, he would have taken TFC's money because he isn't getting that money from anywhere else. If he could play anywhere in the world, it would be in La Liga...he's made that pretty clear in past comments.

Unless we live a day in a man's shoes, its hard to understand why they make the choices they make. Personally, I don't mind England. If I was a footballer of his caliber, I'd like to test myself on that stage but its his life, not mine.

I totally agree with you that I would prefer to see him in a league like BL or even Eredvisie, where he could play more regularly as a more attacking minded player, even though he is an excellent holding mid.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

There is no top 3 right now. There is a top 2 and a top 4. Italy is well off the pace of Spain and England right now and much closer to the level of the Bundesliga. There is a big gap between England/Spain and Italy in both UEFA coefficients and playing level. Again I think it is wrong to merely look at the league and team he is playing at. I would rather him be a dominant figure, ie. one of the best players and leaders, in a decent Bundesliga club than a role player at a club in La Liga or EPL. One of the biggest problems our national team has is that we have too many guys who are role players at a decent level and not enough guys who are dominant players. Look at Amado Guevera who has never made it to the top levels of professional soccer yet is able to dominate against DeGuzman who has played at a higher level.

Totally agree with Grizzly here

these days, with the money pouring into the BL, I'd say that league is not far away from overtaking Serie A as the 3rd ranked league in the world. Serie A has slipped badly.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I'll also say that the Bundesliga is generally better to watch than Serie A; and probably more competitive from top to bottom than the Premier League, La Liga or Ligue 1. Frankly, wouldn't mind JDG going back to Germany, maybe not Hannover though.

Seriously, do any of you watch Serie A? It's not terrible like you guys think it is.

The top 3 sides are still among the strongest in the world and I would take or watch teams like Genoa, Napoli, Lazio, Fiorentina, etc over teams like Everton and Aston Villa. Even a team like Catania is stronger than Stoke or Wigan.

And while the Barclay's Premier League is the biggest league in the world, the strongest league in terms of play is La Liga. Not breaking any news here when I write the Premiership is just the best at marketing itself around the planet, making it the richest.

While I have nothing against the Bundesliga, I think it still trails Serie A. Do some of you really believe that Wolfsburg or Stuttgart could beat teams like Inter, Juve or Milan?... C'mon!?!

quote:Originally posted by Strisce

Seriously, do any of you watch Serie A? It's not terrible like you guys think it is.

The top 3 sides are still among the strongest in the world and I would take or watch teams like Genoa, Napoli, Lazio, Fiorentina, etc over teams like Everton and Aston Villa. Even a team like Catania is stronger than Stoke or Wigan.

And while the Barclay's Premier League is the biggest league in the world, the strongest league in terms of play is La Liga. Not breaking any news here when I write the Premiership is just the best at marketing itself around the planet, making it the richest.

While I have nothing against the Bundesliga, I think it still trails Serie A. Do some of you really believe that Wolfsburg or Stuttgart could beat teams like Inter, Juve or Milan?... C'mon!?!

I tend to agree and dissagree on that I believe Serie A defitnly a stronger league than the Bundesliga however the Bundesliga is a much more balanced league in terms of strength of bottom and top teams.

I do you agree that the Mid tier clubs of Serie A may have a leg up on the EPL's mid tier clubs.

and I do believe a bottom feeding team in the Bundesliga could have a slim chance of toppling a giant of the like you mentioned as Football is that type of game. Anything can happen most of the time it won't, but it can.

I won't argue on the strength of Catania vs Bayer Leverkusen vs Tottenham, but I'll just say that I've seen more "dog" Serie A matches in my lifetime than ones in the Bundesliga or the Premier League. But isn't that what the Champions League or the Europa League is for?

Anyways, back on topic, I really hope JDG finds a club soon. His value decreases as time goes on. I mean even a free agent Chinese international who is no better than JDG found employment (work permit pending) with Celtic. Maybe he's asking for too much money.

I was looking for JDG news and I found this in the Ottawa Citizen. Date of post: August 31, 2009. The soccer guys no nothing about that.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Hume+head+back+game/1946325/story.html

quote:Hargreaves aside, probably the most talented Canadian family in the game is the de Guzman brothers. Julian is the star of the Canadian squad right now and star of the Deportivo midfield in Spain.

Who said Serie A was terrible? It is still one of the top leagues in the world. However, it has declined in the last decade. 10 years ago a case could be made for Serie A being the top league in Europe but now that would be a ridiculous claim. 10 years ago Italian teams were often the most desired address for many of the top players in the world and that is no longer the case. That is not to say that it is still not a very good league, it just has fallen behind the pace of England and Spain. I am not an EPL booster or even much of a fan of the league. I think for the last decade the best European league has flipped between EPL and La Liga but I would give the EPL the edge in the last couple of years. Obviously there have been some big signings in La Liga this year and it remains to be determined which league is currently better. There is no doubt that the playing style in La Liga is more attractive than that of EPL but that is not necessarily the same thing as being the superior league.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

You can call BS all you want Grizzly but I wrote what I wrote for a reason and I stand by it. For various reasons, not everyone in the footballing world casts desirous eyes on the EPL.

Your points aren't wrong...EPL is</u> perhaps the best league in the world (I personally prefer La Liga) and it definitely pays the best. However, that might not be his prime motivating factors. If money was JDG's #1 motivation, he would have taken TFC's money because he isn't getting that money from anywhere else. If he could play anywhere in the world, it would be in La Liga...he's made that pretty clear in past comments.

Unless we live a day in a man's shoes, its hard to understand why they make the choices they make. Personally, I don't mind England. If I was a footballer of his caliber, I'd like to test myself on that stage but its his life, not mine.

I totally agree with you that I would prefer to see him in a league like BL or even Eredvisie, where he could play more regularly as a more attacking minded player, even though he is an excellent holding mid.

Do you have inside information then because otherwise what you are saying sounds like wild speculation. I see no evidence or reason for him to avoid EPL since most of the negatives would be the same in Spain (a lot of competition to be a starter, far from his children, playing a defensive role) yet he seemed to be willing to sign there. As a defensive mid I think Julien would be fine with the playing style in England, he certainly survived the equally physical Bundesliga. His rejection of TFC is pretty immaterial here. First of all it seems they were not offering him nearly as much as we had been led to believe. It was a good offer and probably a bit more than he will get in Europe but nothing way over his market value. Secondly the reason he turned down TFC was because the league is well below his current playing level which is not the case with any of the big 4 leagues.

I am wondering if the loss of Luka Modric would (re)open the door to a possible Tottenham move. I guess I am biased due to my love of the EPL, but I'd love to see him playing for Spurs on a regular basis. My understanding is that 'arry didn't manage to get many of the transfer targets he was hoping for on deadline day, so I am keeping my fingers crossed (pure speculation here). They got Kranjar, but I have mostly seen him on the wing, so there may still be room in the middle for a defensive mid with some offensive flair going forward.

Archived