De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The 10 million over 3 and a half years seems like a much more reasonable offer than the 7 million a year reported by MediaGuy which would be massively overpaying.

Grizzly, Kristian Jack clearly states that the offer has gone UP from the 3.5 yr/$10 million original offer, so MediaGuy's report might end up being very accurate. I'm hearing that MediaGuy's info is fairly accurate. For JDG to get into the $6-7 million per year range, he would need to acheive all of the incentive clauses built into the new TFC contract offer.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

He say it is more than the original 10 million not much more. If Media Guy is correct it would be something close to 25 million over 3.5 years which would be absolutely ridiculous and far, far more than he is worth. To be honest even the original offer is overpaying a bit in regards to what his worth would be in Europe but since he is a hometown boy it may be worth that for TFC. I would find it very hard to believe they would offer him anything close to what MediaGuy was reporting.

But I believe MediaGuy said the offer was "potentially" seven million/yr--ie., weighted heavily to a bonus/incentive component. So while I don't know exactly what the offer was--I don't have to know what I'm talking about to post here, do I?--I'm sure that realistically it wasn't close to seven million/year. Because that would be verging on insanity.

And btw you're right about the other point you made: most people in Toronto haven't any idea who de Guzman is. That's a shame but soccer unfortunately, is still not that big a deal here. It'll happen but not for a lot of years yet.

quote:Originally posted by teddym

And btw you're right about the other point you made: most people in Toronto haven't any idea who de Guzman is. That's a shame but soccer unfortunately, is still not that big a deal here. It'll happen but not for a lot of years yet.

That's one potential positive of signing with TFC, you know they'll market the hell out of you and make you a household name in your hometown.

I think that a wonderful by-product of Canadian teams entering MLS is that the teams will create Canadian stars. It's a small thing, but a star system is imperative to be considered a "major" sport.

^^But for The Guz, what's the rush? Two years from now (barring injury) he'll still be in his prime, still command a lucrative contract, and perhaps by then be more of a know figure within the Toronto soccer sub-culture and thus a more easily marketed player. An athlete you could "brand".

Two years from now it could very easily be the turn of another younger Canadian player like Atiba Hutchinson for a big money DP offer or maybe they'll have shifted their attention over to a big name striker, which to be honest I suspect many/most TFC fans would actually prefer. That would mean that all that would probably be on offer in an MLS context would be Dwayne De Rosario or Carl Robinson type money. Rightly or wrongly, unless he moves to a club in the Premiership or serie A in a European context he would still be a relative no name to most soccer fans in the GTA. He is very lucky to be offered this huge contract by TFC and the window of opportunity to use that offer to cash in on all the hard work it took to build his reputation in the game is probably a very narrow one.

I agree that he can cash in on what he's accomplished with his career thus far by taking this offer, but the guy has stated that he wants to follow his heart. Far from verbatum, but he said in the interview on "it's called soccer" that he's made a lot of sacrifices in his life to get where he is now, and he wants to stay true to himself and follow his dream. In this day and age, that's f ing amazing. Honestly. To turn down so much money in order to try his luck in an incomparably more difficult league and team? Doesn't happen to much in modern sport. I'd like to see him in TFC colours, but screw it, it can wait. It's not like it's going to make Toronto a good team, or bring us any glory. I'd rather watch a guy from my city succeed at the highest level in one of if not the best league in the world.

If Canadians who don't follow soccer don't know his name as a result of that, who cares? It's their loss isn't it? I know that there's many, many top Canadian atheletes that I'm completely unaware of because I don't follow said particular sport. It would be great to shed some light on them, but not at the expense of their career or playing level. I really really hope that he stays in Europe. TFC will be there waiting for him when he's finished.

From the latest entry on the footyblog on The Score's website it looks like he isn't coming:-

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/07/26/22051.aspx

Sources have told The Score that talks between Julian De Guzman and Toronto FC have broken down, and that as it stands on Sunday night, the midfielder will not be joining the club as its Designated Player. TFC had set a deadline of Monday to seal any deal, but De Guzman asked for additional time to weigh up his options. After several weeks of deliberation on the move, the club decided it was unwilling to extend its deadline. However this is subject to change, perhaps this is the first sign of TFC putting the pressure on the player to make up his mind.

That roughly translates as TFC telling him to make his mind up pronto or they move to their plan B option.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

From the latest entry on the footyblog on The Score's website it looks like he isn't coming:-

http://my.thescore.com/footyblog/archive/2009/07/26/22051.aspx

Sources have told The Score that talks between Julian De Guzman and Toronto FC have broken down, and that as it stands on Sunday night, the midfielder will not be joining the club as its Designated Player. TFC had set a deadline of Monday to seal any deal, but De Guzman asked for additional time to weigh up his options. After several weeks of deliberation on the move, the club decided it was unwilling to extend its deadline. However this is subject to change, perhaps this is the first sign of TFC putting the pressure on the player to make up his mind.

That roughly translates as TFC telling him to make his mind up pronto or they move to their plan B option.

Do they have a Plan B option? They aren't desperate for a midfielder, are they? A decent CB might go a long way.

During the Mexico-Costa Rica Gold Cup Semi the GolTv announcers were saying that Guillermo Franco will not be returning to Villarreal and is currently looking for a club.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=21754&cc=5901

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Franco

His first choice is probably to return to Mexico (Monterrey), but if TFC were to offer even half the money they've been offering De Guzman, Franco might take it. He'll be 33 in Nov., but could probably still have an Angel/Blanco-like impact for us through to the end of next season. We'd have a glut of forwards, so maybe we could trade one of our extra forwards for help on D.

Guest Jeffery S.

Absolutely no news out of Spain on Julian since that rumour over a month ago about him going to Osasuna. Which would be in the lower quarter of clubs in terms of pay. The market is slow but clubs are back training, so he is missing out. And even worse if he wants to go to EPL or return to Germany. Get your agent on the ball, Julian.

Don't count out him opting for the contract offer at TFC, I think his other options may be few and not too attractive in terms of salary.

Guest Jeffery S.

News today: Espanyol has set their eyes on Julian, after letting defensive mid Roman Martinez go to Tenerife. A good team in a great new stadium (opened yesterday with a 3-0 thrashing of Liverpool), a solid fan base, and perhaps new ambitions with a new board of directors and some interesting other signings (Nakamura, Ben Sahar the Israeli).

This article coincides with others suggesting it could happen this week.

http://www.fichajes.net/noticias/espanyol-piensa-en-de-guzman

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

News today: Espanyol has set their eyes on Julian, after letting defensive mid Roman Martinez go to Tenerife. A good team in a great new stadium (opened yesterday with a 3-0 thrashing of Liverpool), a solid fan base, and perhaps new ambitions with a new board of directors and some interesting other signings (Nakamura, Ben Sahar the Israeli).

This article coincides with others suggesting it could happen this week.

http://www.fichajes.net/noticias/espanyol-piensa-en-de-guzman

Very good news :) Espanyol is a big club with big ambitions and now some big names as you mentioned. Hopefully this will go through...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Marc

Great move if true. Always preferred Espanyol to Barca, not sure why.

Maybe cause you really suck?[}:)]

No seriously, I am actually not anti-espanyolista like most Barcelona fans, I have gone to see them on numerous occasions and would prefer them to come second to Barca every year. Also take care of the local players quite well as Barca does. They just piss me off when they are overly motivated against us and then are easy on Madrid (losing easily to RM while fighting like hell vs us).

A great move if it works as it means Julian behind Ivan de la Pena so the Little Buddah can do his stuff without having to think about covering his back.

AWESOME!!! This means I'll get to watch him in person when they come to town. Espanyol should actually do alright this year, hopefully make a run at the Europa League spot. They've got a kick-ass new stadium too. Jeffery's right, the idea of Julian playing behind de la Pena is too good to be true. This could really elevate his game.

Espanyol has been an option for Julian since the end of the last season. They made their interest in him known.

I am very hopeful this works out for him. Espanyol had a tough season in 2008/2009 but it seems they are poised to get back on a proper footing. I didn't know about a new stadium but that's great too.

The Barcelona derby this year would be extra interesting if Julez is in the starting 11 for Espanyol.

Wow. Big news for sure and usually pretty good coverage on TV so fingers & toes crossed. Got to get moving on this though, when does La Liga kick-off this year? Its got to be fairly soon. EPL & SPL regular seasons start a week Saturday.

Archived