De Guzmán Next Year

Guest Jeffery S.

Its interesting to see in this thread the growing number of people who have come around to notion that having all or too large a portion of an MNT squad that plays professionally in Europe, is not conducive to producing desired results in CONCACAF WCQ.

Here is few other points worth re-emphasizing:

As an MNT coach, how would he scout or assess the talent and form of players available when they are scatterred throughout Europe? What information could he possibily have other than what we have here as Voyageurs and how reliable is second hand information. Personally, I dont find it reliable at all. How many games are even televised? Even deportivo was is shown on TV other than at most, a handfull of times. And what about the others? we know that and MNT certainly doesn't not have the resources at his disposal to spend every weekend in Europe from Sep to May.

I know far more about a players like Dero (what he can do well and what he cant do) than someone like Nakajima-Faran whom I have never seen play for his club. You need to see players week in and week out to really know what they are like. So for a player like Dero, Hainault Jakovic, you know how you can use him, how you can maximize his potential etc... So you have a better grasp of the game plan that you need.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^familiarity and easy scouting is a factor. if you 'wikipedia' any big soccer power, 80-90% of team plays domestically. quality of the domestic league seems to factor into the equation, however, which is the crux of the debate i guess. so... i have nothing new to offer. bye.

quote:Originally posted by doopy

^familiarity and easy scouting is a factor. if you 'wikipedia' any big soccer power, 80-90% of team plays domestically. quality of the domestic league seems to factor into the equation, however, which is the crux of the debate i guess. so... i have nothing new to offer. bye.

Except 5 of the top 10, and 12 of the top 20 countries in the current FIFA rankings have less than 50% of their players playing domestically.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Its interesting to see in this thread the growing number of people who have come around to notion that having all or too large a portion of an MNT squad that plays professionally in Europe, is not conducive to producing desired results in CONCACAF WCQ.

Here is few other points worth re-emphasizing:

As an MNT coach, how would he scout or assess the talent and form of players available when they are scatterred throughout Europe? What information could he possibily have other than what we have here as Voyageurs and how reliable is second hand information. Personally, I dont find it reliable at all. How many games are even televised? Even deportivo was is shown on TV other than at most, a handfull of times. And what about the others? we know that and MNT certainly doesn't not have the resources at his disposal to spend every weekend in Europe from Sep to May.

I know far more about a players like Dero (what he can do well and what he cant do) than someone like Nakajima-Faran whom I have never seen play for his club. You need to see players week in and week out to really know what they are like. So for a player like Dero, Hainault Jakovic, you know how you can use him, how you can maximize his potential etc... So you have a better grasp of the game plan that you need.

To start with you just need to see players. I believe Holger did cross the Atlantic to watch players, even Yallop did once I think, to England, not sure, just going on memory. Mitchell never, not once.

Our coaches have not followed players. Wasn´t it Yallop when at Earthquakes with DeRo who commented on how Holger had not come to see him and Onstand play?

Some say this is a question of budget, but we are talking about 10-14 days of solid scouting, seeing two full weekends with maybe a German game on a Friday and an EPL on a Monday, maybe a UEFA match. We have never had a coach in Denmark to see a game, in Norway, no one ever went to see Julian in Spain. Not too expensive really, considering what we pay for an inflated delegation to go to an u-20 training camp in Florida.

Then there are game videos, which can be supplied at almost no cost by the clubs and leagues in question. Our national team coaches do not do a lot of work when there is no call-up, they do not travel, they don´t do sessions with lower level coaches, they don´t do public speaking, they don´t even seem to get to see North American games. They sit on their butts in pure ignorance, then play certain players out of position, wasting their talents as assessed by their club coaches, and everyone wonders why the team and the system do not work.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Except 5 of the top 10, and 12 of the top 20 countries in the current FIFA rankings have less than 50% of their players playing domestically.

oh. 'big' soccer power is relative i guess. 'big' compared to say... Edmonton Drillers, is what i meant to add. sorry.

BTW, which 5 play with the majority of domestics?

TORONTO FC ADVISORY

September 11, 2009

Attention: News/Sports/Assignment/Photo Editors

WHAT: Introduction of Toronto FC’s first Designated Player

WHO: Toronto FC Director of Soccer Mo Johnston

Toronto FC Interim Head Coach Chris Cummins

Toronto FC Designated Player

Interview and photo opportunities available

WHERE: BMO Field, Press Conference Room – Events Level

WHEN: Friday, September 11, 2009, 1:15 p.m. ET

Archived