Taryck TJ Tahid

14 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Since he's U18, isn't he not allowed to transfer internationally until his 18th birthday? So he's basically with with Vancouver until July 2025 at minimum (or potentially with the 3 Canadian MLS teams/other CPL teams - not sure if domestic transfers are allowed). Even if transferred before 18 doesn't he have to stay at Vancouver on loan until 18 (like Phonzie did)?

Unless he has a European passport you are correct, does anybody know if he has a European passport?

52 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Since he's U18, isn't he not allowed to transfer internationally until his 18th birthday? So he's basically with with Vancouver until July 2025 at minimum (or potentially with the 3 Canadian MLS teams/other CPL teams - not sure if domestic transfers are allowed). Even if transferred before 18 doesn't he have to stay at Vancouver on loan until 18 (like Phonzie did)?

Great selling point for CPL to 16-17 year olds.  Come play pro ball, get lots of minutes, kill it if you can and we'll ship you off to europe when you turn 18.  Have to wonder at what point this becomes enticing to kids at MLS academies who are very promising but realisitcally have no chance breaking into an MLS roster and dont want to get caught up in NextPro/USL etc.  

12 hours ago, Dominic94 said:
2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I hope he gets transferred for something around that mark and it proves to other teams that you can significantly chip away at your financial issues by playing and eventually selling a young player. 

hopefully he starts the trend of playing these 16 year old talents and not leaving them on the bench, there’s more Tahid’s that just need the chance.

This is exactly why it disturbs me to see that some CPL teams are way under the U21 mins. Not every young player is going to work out but there's loads of talent out there that don't end up with the 3 Cdn MLS academies. Just take a look at the CMNT.

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This is exactly why it disturbs me to see that some CPL teams are way under the U21 mins. Not every young player is going to work out but there's loads of talent out there that don't end up with the 3 Cdn MLS academies. Just take a look at the CMNT.

Yes disturbing but perhaps this is a turning point? Like, "Holy shit! Maybe there are more kids out there like this and we're missing out?!" That's my hope anyways...

Man- when you search his name up, the first google result is for his own website that acts as basically a CV: https://tjtahid.com

He also lists the teams he’s played against and how those matches went- he scored against Leeds’ ‘07, against Crystal Palace’s ‘07-‘08s, Benfica’s ‘07s, two against Watford’s ‘07/08s, and all 4 goals in a 4-0 win against QPR. Bunch of assists in there too. 

25 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This is exactly why it disturbs me to see that some CPL teams are way under the U21 mins...

There's also the issue of there being no equivalent of MLS Next Pro in that context for the U21 players that are on one of those teams. A U21 player who winds up sitting on the bench regularly in Halifax or Winnipeg does what exactly in terms of playing time at a point in their career where they definitely need to be playing competitively regularly?

7 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Am I overreacting in saying this may be the biggest talent we’ve had since Davies?

For now I think he’s the biggest talent we’ve had since Kone. We still don’t know how the quality of the CPL for a young phenom translates to Europe- a 16 year old scoring two goals in what, 6 games, is impressive anywhere, but it is impressive enough for champions league teams to notice? Is it impressive enough that he could ostensibly recreate this success on a champions league team within the next ~5 years? At a relatively similar age, JMR was being closely watched by Liverpool. For Tahid to get into the next Davies convo, I think he needs to get interest from a club like Liverpool, sign for said club, and play games for them before his ~20th birthday. Totally arbitrary marker there, but there are a few hurdles he needs to cross before we can have that talk. I think he could very well be that type of player though.

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

For now I think he’s the biggest talent we’ve had since Kone. We still don’t know how the quality of the CPL for a young phenom translates to Europe- a 16 year old scoring two goals in what, 6 games, is impressive anywhere, but it is impressive enough for champions league teams to notice? Is it impressive enough that he could ostensibly recreate this success on a champions league team within the next ~5 years? At a relatively similar age, JMR was being closely watched by Liverpool. For Tahid to get into the next Davies convo, I think he needs to get interest from a club like Liverpool, sign for said club, and play games for them before his ~20th birthday. Totally arbitrary marker there, but there are a few hurdles he needs to cross before we can have that talk. I think he could very well be that type of player though.

I think part of it is if his next move is a real move or if he gets sent to a B team which can have mixed results.

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

I think part of it is if his next move is a real move or if he gets sent to a B team which can have mixed results.

I think that also depends on the club he goes to and how quickly he adapts. If he follows Davies’ footsteps and his next team is Bayern’s B team or any other similar team, that’s cause to ramp up the excitement a notch, I think. If he ends up at Villarreal B for example, that’s not too dissimilar to Ronan Kratt with Bremen II or Justin Smith with Nice II. Good places to go and develop, but hard to evaluate their potential if/until they start playing for the main squad. 

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Don’t know much about CPL economics but wouldn’t a sale at this level pretty much pay for the entire roster’s salary? I hope he gets transferred for something around that mark and it proves to other teams that you can significantly chip away at your financial issues by playing and eventually selling a young player. 

Wonder what the CPL structure is like?  Is there a cap?  Is it centrally managed and controlled like MLS?  One team can become a powerhouse if they manage to make a few sales like this and keep developing.  Would be wild to have a NY Cosmos style team in the CPL, just doing their own thing and beating MLS teams in competitions. 

Also, there are 3 exceptions to underage transfers- one of which is if the parents move to the country for non-football reasons. Don’t think it’ll happen here but I wonder with how easy it would be for a player like Tahid’s parent to decide to work remotely in Europe (many countries have digital nomad visas) and simply decide that they’re moving to Portugal to work, and oh by the way, my 16 year old phenom kid is looking for a team, what’s up @benfica @sporting @porto?

That, or say a team really wants to sign him, so the sporting director calls his buddy who knows a guy in town looking for new employees for his business, gets the parent a job, and the rest of the family follows suit. I’m sure it’s happened before.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Also, there are 3 exceptions to underage transfers- one of which is if the parents move to the country for non-football reasons. Don’t think it’ll happen here but I wonder with how easy it would be for a player like Tahid’s parent to decide to work remotely in Europe (many countries have digital nomad visas) and simply decide that they’re moving to Portugal to work, and oh by the way, my 16 year old phenom kid is looking for a team, what’s up @benfica @sporting @porto?

That, or say a team really wants to sign him, so the sporting director calls his buddy who knows a guy in town looking for new employees for his business, gets the parent a job, and the rest of the family follows suit. I’m sure it’s happened before.

It's difficult to satisfy FIFA requirements when parents move over.  It's easier when the kids are much younger, but it can take 12-16 months to prove to FIFA you've moved for non-footballing reasons (Proof of employment offer, proof of address, kid must be enrolled in a proper school, has to spend "x" amount of time in an amateur club to show there's no coercion with a pro club etc."

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Guy scores a few goals in CPL and he is the next Davies and we are mapping his transfer to Real Madrid.  

Don’t ever change.  

Did anyone say Madrid?

Not directed at you specifically, but doesn’t the whole “being excited about a prospect is lame you guys” thing get boring quick? I mean, maybe he busts. Maybe Jonathan David never leaves France. Maybe we’ve already reached the pinnacle of Canadian soccer during our lifetimes and we’re on the back 9 as far as this generation goes. Talking about the potential of the most exciting prospect in our domestic league that should explicitly serve to churn out that exact type of player is a lot more interesting than being cynical about the whole thing. Maybe he becomes Ballou Tabla, but since none of us are employed as talent scouts, it won’t matter if he does, we’ll just move onto the next future Real Madrid prospect in our pool.

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Did anyone say Madrid?

Not directed at you specifically, but doesn’t the whole “being excited about a prospect is lame you guys” thing get boring quick? I mean, maybe he busts. Maybe Jonathan David never leaves France. Maybe we’ve already reached the pinnacle of Canadian soccer during our lifetimes and we’re on the back 9 as far as this generation goes. Talking about the potential of the most exciting prospect in our domestic league that should explicitly serve to churn out that exact type of player is a lot more interesting than being cynical about the whole thing. Maybe he becomes Ballou Tabla, but since none of us are employed as talent scouts, it won’t matter if he does, we’ll just move onto the next future Real Madrid prospect in our pool.

Be salty if you like, but the #1 pastime on this board over the years has been hyping young players to the moon. Scoring 2 goals as a 16 year in the CPL is great. It doesn't mean he's going to get to a higher level or even still be in the game when he's 25. "How long until he moves to Europe!!!????!!!" posts should be incoming soon, I'm sure.

27 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Be salty if you like, but the #1 pastime on this board over the years has been hyping young players to the moon. Scoring 2 goals as a 16 year in the CPL is great. It doesn't mean he's going to get to a higher level or even still be in the game when he's 25. "How long until he moves to Europe!!!????!!!" posts should be incoming soon, I'm sure.

I don't disagree, but having seen the rise of Davies at the Caps and having seen TJ play a few times live, I do think there are some general comparisons. TJ is nothing like Coupland who is still not a man. TJ looks physically and psychologically mature in the same way AD did when he arrived.TJ is missing blistering pace and trickery, but the physical/mental tools suggest he will get to a higher level. Probably not Bayern, but certainly into the National team pool if he keeps developing.

3 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

I know, I just think that’s fine. Like 95% of the discourse around our national team is based on the premise that we’re improving as a nation and that our young players will lead us to greater heights, and for that to happen, we need guys like this to pan out properly. If we want to be realistic and grounded in objective fact, we can discuss the likelihood of David either never leaving France or busting abroad and returning to Lille with his tail between his legs in 18 months. We can talk about how Davies will never actually be a winger in a top league, how it’s probable that we won’t ever see what we’ve seen from Larin at RV ever again in his career, how maybe this really is how good it’s gonna get for Canada and it’s all downhill from here. We can look forward to getting punked by Jamaica and losing our “next team up in concacaf” status as quickly as we earned it. Those topics would suck and until they happen, it’s useless to talk about it, so might as well discuss the potential that the top 16 year old in Canada might actually be the player from the CPL who can make a splash in Europe. Again, maybe he becomes the next Tabla- or worse- but there’s no shame in getting excited about a player a little early and letting his career play out from there. Don’t think anyone lost anything from expecting JMR to be Liverpool’s next big prospect.