General MLS Talk 2023

Big_M

Of the top four seeds in each conference, I believe that only St. Louis was eliminated, and in straight games.  

I don't subscribe to Apple MLS Season Pass, so I might be able to see one more game on TSN before the final, whereas in previous seasons I would watch as many matches as I could, even as a neutral with or without Cancon involved.  But now, I don't really care about the rest of this playoff season, frankly, which is unusual for me.

Edited by BearcatSA

3 hours ago, RJB said:

And they could be done easily, by simply not having a best of three in the first round. Might have to start a few days earlier, but seriously why so many first round games!?

They wanted to make it difficult for the lower seated teams to get an upset over a much higher seated team in the first round . A lower seated team has a much better chance of getting lucky in a one game knockout than having to try and win two games . Moreover , it gives all playoff teams a chance to host at least one playoff game at home . Sure there are drawbacks by extending the playoffs and having to deal with the international break but you can look at almost any format and find negatives , it is what it is in the end . They just need to now try and find a format and stick with it  whatever it may be , rather than changing it so often .

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

They wanted to make it difficult for the lower seated teams to get an upset over a much higher seated team in the first round . A lower seated team has a much better chance of getting lucky in a one game knockout than having to try and win two games . Moreover , it gives all playoff teams a chance to host at least one playoff game at home . Sure there are drawbacks by extending the playoffs and having to deal with the international break but you can look at almost any format and find negatives , it is what it is in the end . They just need to now try and find a format and stick with it  whatever it may be , rather than changing it so often .

I get it. But if they're so concerned with upsets, just don't let them lower seeds in. Problem solved!  And who cares if every team hosts a game?  If your team is any good you'll deserve to.  Too many playoff teams devalue the regular season. 

28 minutes ago, RJB said:

I get it. But if they're so concerned with upsets, just don't let them lower seeds in. Problem solved!  And who cares if every team hosts a game?  If your team is any good you'll deserve to.  Too many playoff teams devalue the regular season. 

I think they're at about the right number.  7 spots are automatic, 2 more are "play-in".  The final weekend was entertaining, with teams playing not just to get in but to avoid those bottom two spots or to get the top 4 seeded "home field advantage" in the first round.  I'd still probably prefer the first round be 2 legs instead of best of 3, but it probably achieved the results the league wanted this year (ie the favourites winning).

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I think they're at about the right number.  7 spots are automatic, 2 more are "play-in".  The final weekend was entertaining, with teams playing not just to get in but to avoid those bottom two spots or to get the top 4 seeded "home field advantage" in the first round.  I'd still probably prefer the first round be 2 legs instead of best of 3, but it probably achieved the results the league wanted this year (ie the favourites winning).

I would agree with this.  Unless the 8th seed sneaking in was Messi and Miami, this league didn't want the bottom four seeds in each conference getting through.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I would agree with this.  Unless the 8th seed sneaking in was Messi and Miami, this league didn't want the bottom four seeds in each conference getting through.

I actually don't think they mind KC beating St Louis either.  Not that they wanted St Louis out, but going out to their state (yes, I know where the stadium is) rival is a great way to keep building that rivalry, and KC is a good market for the league.

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I actually don't think they mind KC beating St Louis either.  Not that they wanted St Louis out, but going out to their state (yes, I know where the stadium is) rival is a great way to keep building that rivalry, and KC is a good market for the league.

Yes, that was the kind of match up Donny and the suits like.

I think they really wanted to avoid what happened a couple of years back where three of the four top seeds in the league went one match and out.

Red Bulls part ways with sporting director Hamlett, interim head coach Lesesne amd assistant Prince

Chicago extend sporting director Heitz and assistant sporting director Pelzer who have badly failed over and over...unlikely to get better there and attendance likely to go down...MLS really needs pro-rel so that teams stop constantly accepting mediocrity or even being weak and slowly destroying their fanbase

Anything that improves the onfield product will overall help our CMNT.  With the DPA’s and U23 DPA’s their can be 7 outstanding talents on at once. As long as our boys are getting playing time we will benefit as MLS slowly increases the payroll.  Hopefully one day they pull off the restraints but in the meantime this is good for the league and by extension for us.