Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

3 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

Interesting that Cavallini isn't on the list.

Does that mean the Caps are interested in re-signing him?

(If so, hopefully at a reduced salary and a non-DP spot.)

I mean, they might if they can get him as a TAM.  But I think it's still a situation of retaining his rights so they can sell him on.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I mean, they might if they can get him as a TAM.  But I think it's still a situation of retaining his rights so they can sell him on.

I don't understand a lot of the details about MLS signings.   But I thought his contract ended after this past season?  If so, wouldn't he be a free agent?

Caps will sign a few new players, bring back a few, then be a mid-table club at best, but more likely stuck in the bottom half.  They'll start poorly and then play just well enough that there is some faith in the players for the following season.  It's happened repeatedly, and will again.  Not unlike the Canucks. 

With the CPL in town (roughly), the pressure will be on them to do something different.  The pressure will also be on VFC, so it should be lots of fun!

14 hours ago, RJB said:

Caps will sign a few new players, bring back a few, then be a mid-table club at best, but more likely stuck in the bottom half.  They'll start poorly and then play just well enough that there is some faith in the players for the following season.  It's happened repeatedly, and will again.  Not unlike the Canucks. 

With the CPL in town (roughly), the pressure will be on them to do something different.  The pressure will also be on VFC, so it should be lots of fun!

This "pressure", which really shouldn't be, will be good for them.

They're a bit lucky to not have to prove themselves in an early Cup round vs local opposition, though it would have been immensely fun.

The "pressure" may happen if the Fraser Valley based CPL team has an excellent inaugural season in the results column.  I keep thinking back to York having a good season last year while TFC were crapping the bed and it didn't seem to resonate in the stands.  (I can reiterate my point in the CPL thread).

On 11/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, RJB said:

You forgot the part about how they'll replace Vanni halfway through the season with an interim coach who'll get a few dead cat bounce wins which will earn him a contract for the next two seasons.

3 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Option declined (Nov. 14, 2022)

Lucas Cavallini (FWD)

Cody Cropper (GK)

Marcus Godinho (DEF)

Jake Nerwinski (DEF)

Leonard Owusu (MID)

Tosaint Ricketts (FWD)

Out of contract (Nov. 14, 2022)

Florian Jungwirth (DEF)

The only one I am sad to see go is Ricketts. Super sub to have around. Great attitude, etc. Gotta love Tosaint.

Owusu - good USL Championship player

Cavallini - has anyone calculated cost per goal?

Godinho - nice player - too injury prone

Jake - yah, time to move on; enjoyed your contribution

I didn't even consider the possibility that Cavallini's option year was going to be as high as it was ($2.8m).  Makes sense now as to why they didn't pick it up, it really wasn't an option for them based on his play.

I'm glad they're moving on from Nerwinski.  He's the type of player the past regime wouldn't hold on to for too long because he's "good off the field/in the dressing room" despite it being pretty clear that the league had moved beyond his level of play.  Honestly this in part feels like Schuster cutting a guy that Sartini maybe liked to play a little too much, so Schuster took the option away from him.

25 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I didn't even consider the possibility that Cavallini's option year was going to be as high as it was ($2.8m).  Makes sense now as to why they didn't pick it up, it really wasn't an option for them based on his play.

So presumably, now that he's a free agent, the Whitecaps could re-sign him at, say, $250,000 per year and he could be the Caps super sub in place of Ricketts?

On 11/10/2022 at 8:20 AM, Aird25 said:

What are the main positives for this club right now?

In terms of Can con I thought Raposo progressed well in 2022. Delivered a lot of good balls into the box that no one got on the end of. Size is obviously an issue, but I feel like he got stronger and improved defensively. He also suffers unduly due to our roster construction - we’re undersized all over the pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Whitecaps website:

Mathías Laborda
Pronunciation: la-bor-da
Position: Centre Back
Height: 6-00
Weight: 170 pounds
Date of Birth: September 15, 1999 in Fray Bentos, Uruguay
Hometown: Fray Bentos, Uruguay
Citizenship: Uruguay, Italy
Previous Club: Club Nacional de Football (2016-22)
Instagram: @labordamathias
Twitter: @LabordaMathi

“Mathías is a player we’ve been scouting for over a year,” said Axel Schuster, Whitecaps FC sporting director. “He’s a young, intelligent, and tenacious defender. Mathías is comfortable on the ball and brings a mix of experience as well as a potential for growth. We’re happy to welcome Mathías to Vancouver.”

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/vwfc-sign-laborda

Bell has decided not to continue to sponsor the Caps after a decade. I haven't seen Bell cut back on sponsorship elsewhere. Historically, Bell has been off and on with Canadian soccer sponsorships. So, limited Caps matches on TSN is likely one of the reasons behind it.

No new kit sponsor announced at this point.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/thank-you-bell