Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

6 hours ago, red card said:

Bell has decided not to continue to sponsor the Caps after a decade. I haven't seen Bell cut back on sponsorship elsewhere. Historically, Bell has been off and on with Canadian soccer sponsorships. So, limited Caps matches on TSN is likely one of the reasons behind it.

No new kit sponsor announced at this point.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/thank-you-bell

I have the perfect sponsor:

BC Lotteries!

Know your limit, play within it!

7 hours ago, red card said:

Bell has decided not to continue to sponsor the Caps after a decade. I haven't seen Bell cut back on sponsorship elsewhere. Historically, Bell has been off and on with Canadian soccer sponsorships. So, limited Caps matches on TSN is likely one of the reasons behind it.

No new kit sponsor announced at this point.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/thank-you-bell

I suspect there's probably a few things going on there.  People really seemed to hate Bell as the sponsor after the 1040 fiasco.  On the other side, the Whitecaps constant scandals (and retention of Lenarduzzi) probably wasn't helping them.

MLS columnist Sam Jones' take on the signing of Laborda:

Another sensible signing in Vancouver

The Whitecaps added a TAM center back yesterday in Mathías Laborda. I can’t say for certain how he’ll do in MLS, but it feels like another smart move from a team that seems to routinely make smart signings that fit their needs. The problem is, they haven’t been rewarded for it yet.

Part of that is they just don’t have the budget to compete with some of the league’s biggest teams, and the other part is they just felt a bit unlucky last year. Even with a horrible start plagued by injuries, they still very nearly made the playoffs.

I’m not saying it will happen, but the Caps feel like a potential sleeper pick for a solid season in the West. Not MLS Cup level, but certainly playoff level. Some things will have to break their way, but is it really that far-fetched to see this group putting in a string of consistent performances that keep them above the line for most of the year?

Ok, yeah, maybe. We’re not talking about a roster brimming with all-stars. But we might be talking about a cohesive and well-constructed roster that doesn’t tilt too far either way. That could be enough for a decent 2023.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/your-tuesday-kickoff-gareth-bale-rides-into-the-la-sunset

They have two excellent, high performing DPs in Gauld and Cubas.  The supporting cast on the attack is inconsistent, misused/misplayed or overrated.  They definitely need a bonafide striker to challenge White.  It is  a make or break year for Hasal as a starter for this team.

They look to have a good preseason set up so if they come out of that healthy, I expect them to have a good start to the year.

Mostly agree with others here.

They need White to have a good season, and need goals from the mids and "wings". And probably need another goal scorer. Then, Hasal needs to be the consistent starter and show his talent; the backline seems to be enough for MLS.

A real problem is poor away results, even breakdowns and getting burned away; and that is team mentality, and coaching. 

Again, the team has enough to be able to make the playoffs; what it really should be striving for is being over .500 on the year, and in + with goal difference.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They need White to have a good season, and need goals from the mids and "wings". 

When Gressel arrived and played in his best position (wide right, wingback/quasi winger) he generated a lot of service in a short time but after Sartini dropped him deeper and more centrally into midfield in the final stretch of the season, his contribution became much more muted and much less effective and influential.  With that, I question why that move might be maintained this season.  A naturally left footed player in Martins on the far left made a big difference, especially for Gauld as it made space for the Scottish Grieszman to operate more centrally in the danger zones.  However, the last two guys who received richer contract extensions based on a previous season's performance (Dajome and White) significantly underachieved the following year, so is Martins going to do the same?  I am not convinced that Gutierrez will be with the club for the longer term, so they need to establish a naturally left footed deputy/competitor snd not default to a right footed guy who regularly cuts inside to use right foot:  it is too predictable and doesn't make space for Gauld.

Last year the partner for Cubas (take your pick) provided next to nothing on goals, assists, or even key passes, so that needs an upgrade (that's been a regular refrain each and every season since the Chilean playmaker left town).

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

How did that work in the Voyageurs Cup final, in terms of "success"?

We just need to play Toronto every week

The reality is the MLS is starting to look less like the MLS and more like the SPL

What's the objective here? MLS teams aren't deep like Euro powerhouses so injuries have a real effect but from a starting 11 perspective there are a handful of teams that are just separating themselves from the pack

Edited by SpursFlu

19 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The reality is the MLS is starting to look less like the MLS and more like the SPL

What's the objective here? MLS teams aren't deep like Euro powerhouses so injuries have a real effect but from a starting 11 perspective there are a handful of teams that are just separating themselves from the pack

I don't think that's correct.

The past ten MLS Cups were won by nine different teams.  The past ten Supporters' Shields were won by seven different teams.

Of the past ten SPL championships, Celtic won nine and Rangers one.  Only four teams (Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, and Motherwall) have even made runner up in the past decade.

By the standards of the SPL (and many European leagues), MLS is a free for all.