All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

20 minutes ago, red card said:

Supporter tickets are for sitting in your team's section for group stage matches.

Conditional Supporter Tickets are for supporters who want to reserve a seat for one of their team’s potential encounters in the knockout rounds, including the final.

That's interesting actually. So we could buy tickets for the next rounds if Canada advances basically...

Anyone interested in sharing accommodations in apartment/villas? Something like a 3 bed/2ba apartment goes for $510 for the whole unit, so $85/person/night. But to do this we need to get 6 people together that can agree on the schedule.

I've got CAN TST3 and flights booked that have me arriving Dec 22 afternoon and departing Dec 2 afternoon, so 10 nights. Basically in just before first group stage game, and out next day after last group stage game. Anyone else have a similar schedule and might want to link up? 

I wasn't sure if this was the board to try this, but official voyageurs board seems notably less informed than this board, and the voyageurs FB page is ... not ideal.

Well I made an enquiry as to when the Hotels would be made available to book and, a little distressingly, this is what I got back.  Ended up booking an Apartment as a result this morning but even those are mostly gone.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding hotel availability.

All hotel inventory has been reserved by key event groups; therefore, we unfortunately don’t have any inventory available for other client groups at the moment. A limited number of hotels may become available after July but we would recommend that you arrange your accommodation now because we cannot guarantee hotel inventory to meet your requirements will become available at a later date.

The host country has contracted apartments, villas and cruise ship hotels to supplement the accommodation options. We also anticipate offering fan villages in the form of casual camping and temporary cabin-style accommodation in the coming months.

Please note that you must to be a match ticket holder and must enter a valid FIFA Ticket Application Number to be able to complete your accommodation booking.

We hope you arrange your stay in Qatar successfully and we look forward to seeing you at the FIFA World Cup 2022™.

Best regards,

Sales Team
Qatar Accommodation Agency

image.png

Edited by Admiral Murray

I think "hotels" as in traditional hotels will be tough to book. But there are plenty of apartments that are available through the site. The issue is gonna be what will be left as the next phase concludes and there will be a real rush for booking? 

1 hour ago, Joe1973 said:

I think "hotels" as in traditional hotels will be tough to book. But there are plenty of apartments that are available through the site. The issue is gonna be what will be left as the next phase concludes and there will be a real rush for booking? 

Yeah see some apartments now which seem reasonable. No idea what they look like inside though!

8 minutes ago, Ruud said:

What rates did folks get for flights so I can start distressing over getting fleeced by airlines ….

I booked one way trips each way. Used Skyscanner on the way over from Ottawa. Spending a couple nights in Athens before getting into Doha the 19th. Around $975 total.

Booked my return the day after a potential round of 16 match for Canada. $1200 return  from Doha to Montreal with Expedia. 

On 4/3/2022 at 6:48 PM, maplebanana said:

Anyone interested in sharing accommodations in apartment/villas? Something like a 3 bed/2ba apartment goes for $510 for the whole unit, so $85/person/night. But to do this we need to get 6 people together that can agree on the schedule.

I've got CAN TST3 and flights booked that have me arriving Dec 22 afternoon and departing Dec 2 afternoon, so 10 nights. Basically in just before first group stage game, and out next day after last group stage game. Anyone else have a similar schedule and might want to link up? 

I wasn't sure if this was the board to try this, but official voyageurs board seems notably less informed than this board, and the voyageurs FB page is ... not ideal.

Provided I can get tickets, I would be highly interested in this.  Solo traveller, so if three couples want the three bedrooms I could camp on the living room floor at night.  I'm requesting the three group stage tickets.  Hopefully I get them!

With hotels possibly not being released, and cruise ship options mostly gone, the 'tents in the desert' might be the only option if we wait too long. 

https://news.sky.com/story/world-cup-2022-five-star-beach-camping-one-of-the-affordable-options-for-fans-in-qatar-12579183

For what it's worth, they are saying they will be '5 star' tents with private bathrooms. But this has Fyre Fest written all over it.

2 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

If anyone was concerned that Canada Red+White+Black+PolkaDots won't offer tickets, it appears they are "working on it":

upload_2022-4-5_11-19-24-png.213583

I see the US one is listed now too. Hopefully the CSA emails folks who signed up the Red+White before it gets dropped on the site. Couple tidbits below. A lot of the same procedures to applying as before except for what @CanadianTraveller mentioned above.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/high-demand-expected-as-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-tm-ticket-applications

“Also for the first time, Supporter Tickets and Conditional Supporter Tickets will be on offer for those who self-declare as followers of a certain competing country and want to sit with fellow fans of that team. Please note that some member associations require fans to be member of their official fan clubs in order to apply for these tickets.

It also sort of breaks down the supporter and conditional supporter package, where the supporter package is just the first round and conditional supporter is for potential knockout stage games it seems 

E18D7C22-893F-4D58-B99D-D94DD7F1291F.thumb.png.0a6bd9f8fd72beb26c18c73817178878.png

15 hours ago, Ruud said:

What rates did folks get for flights so I can start distressing over getting fleeced by airlines ….

You have to get creative...I booked through points and coming in through Jordan. If you want to save money, you have to be very open to multiple flights and search obsessively unfortunately.

The concern people had as to why FIFA would host in a small country like Qatar (of course not including the other political issues) is really manifesting itself now. Hotels look fully reserved, even though more are set to open. Between housing 32 teams and staff, diplomats, sponsors, VIP clients, hospitality packages, etc, no wonder there are no hotels available. Add to this the fact that they have 2 phases of sales; many people including myself, are waiting on friends to see if they are successful next phase. You can't reserve accommodations and then modify as your friends find out if they get tickets, because after April 30 there are no refunds; second phase ticket holders will find out a month later. And who knows what will be available in June? I'm not a tent on the beach guy either lol. What a s#!$show!

3 hours ago, CanadianTraveller said:

If anyone was concerned that Canada Red+White+Black+PolkaDots won't offer tickets, it appears they are "working on it":

upload_2022-4-5_11-19-24-png.213583

Can I just say I think we have the best supporters group name in national team football

"Fan Club Nationalmannschaft"? Dead name... Even if we don't win the Copa Mundial, we have already won in the name department. 

44 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

You have to get creative...I booked through points and coming in through Jordan. If you want to save money, you have to be very open to multiple flights and search obsessively unfortunately.

The concern people had as to why FIFA would host in a small country like Qatar (of course not including the other political issues) is really manifesting itself now. Hotels look fully reserved, even though more are set to open. Between housing 32 teams and staff, diplomats, sponsors, VIP clients, hospitality packages, etc, no wonder there are no hotels available. Add to this the fact that they have 2 phases of sales; many people including myself, are waiting on friends to see if they are successful next phase. You can't reserve accommodations and then modify as your friends find out if they get tickets, because after April 30 there are no refunds; second phase ticket holders will find out a month later. And who knows what will be available in June? I'm not a tent on the beach guy either lol. What a s#!$show!

There are definitely hotels available but you need to buy hospitality tickets at US$950 minimum to access hotels.  The cheapest hotel I saw was about US$350 a night with the Marriotts I would stay in at close to US$900-1,000 a night for one person.

I've gotten responses from a few people interested in sharing villas. If you're reading this and interested, please send me a DM. The most important thing will be lining up schedule, budget, and number of beds needed, as well as whether or not you have tickets. So I'll start:

Tickets: TST3 secured

Schedule: Nov 22 - Dec 2 (in the day before first group stage game, out the day after last group stage game)

Budget: Looking at the 3* accommodations which works out to about $100/bed/person ($200 per room)

Number: 2x - Me + wife

With the accommodations being so scarce, the earlier I can book this the better.

1 hour ago, maplebanana said:

I've gotten responses from a few people interested in sharing villas. If you're reading this and interested, please send me a DM. The most important thing will be lining up schedule, budget, and number of beds needed, as well as whether or not you have tickets. So I'll start:

Tickets: TST3 secured

Schedule: Nov 22 - Dec 2 (in the day before first group stage game, out the day after last group stage game)

Budget: Looking at the 3* accommodations which works out to about $100/bed/person ($200 per room)

Number: 2x - Me + wife

With the accommodations being so scarce, the earlier I can book this the better.

Perhaps set up one collection for TST3's, another collection for TST4's? Say Nov 22+- through Dec 7+-?

Is there anywhere else online that's discussing Canadians sharing at this level? Or...too soon, wait until May 31 and the Phase 2 & CanadaRED+White sales are confirmed?

17 minutes ago, CanadianTraveller said:

Perhaps set up one collection for TST3's, another collection for TST4's? Say Nov 22+- through Dec 7+-?

Is there anywhere else online that's discussing Canadians sharing at this level? Or...too soon, wait until May 31 and the Phase 2 & CanadaRED+White sales are confirmed?

On voyageurs.org there are people talking about it there. Problem now is many people don’t have tickets yet and trying to arrange accommodations with others that do have tickets, making it very difficult to coordinate at this time. 

8 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

I see the US one is listed now too. Hopefully the CSA emails folks who signed up the Red+White before it gets dropped on the site. Couple tidbits below. A lot of the same procedures to applying as before except for what @CanadianTraveller mentioned above.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/high-demand-expected-as-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-tm-ticket-applications

“Also for the first time, Supporter Tickets and Conditional Supporter Tickets will be on offer for those who self-declare as followers of a certain competing country and want to sit with fellow fans of that team. Please note that some member associations require fans to be member of their official fan clubs in order to apply for these tickets.

It also sort of breaks down the supporter and conditional supporter package, where the supporter package is just the first round and conditional supporter is for potential knockout stage games it seems 

E18D7C22-893F-4D58-B99D-D94DD7F1291F.thumb.png.0a6bd9f8fd72beb26c18c73817178878.png

WTF - that last line, "Visa payment cards are the exclusive payment"??? Do I have to go and get a Visa card to be able to buy tickets? Visa was only the "preferred" method before!