Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I really don't think there are that many cases, maybe only a half dozen of interest.

Just to be exact, he likely would have gotten minutes in the friendly at BC Place, if we hadn't cancelled.

Then, he was at a US camp in the spring of 2022, but it was an u-20 B camp in California, they sent him with the fringe of the u-20 group, they played some games against university teams. So they did not even consider him to be amongst the best 20-25 they had at that age.

I have the impression that he was not impressed with having to train and play at a level far below what he sees weekly and he'd shown, it was a bit like disrespecting his club level. A month later he had his 1st team debut with Espanyol and accepted our call-up shortly afterwards.

The other factor in our favour is that he's American, but his mother is Canadian and his father is from Nigeria. So his US ties are there but not as powerful as others perhaps.

Canada does not games until March. Question should be will he accapt a Canada call up? Or is he waiting until US calls him up for a camp or Wolrd Cup U20 and Olympic? Last time I hear he dont wanted to commit yet to Canada and ask to not be cap.

Yes, Luca might not be a top 10 prospects in the US pool but most of them are midfielder not wingers like Luca.

Don't put too much on his dad and mom are not Americans because most of the USMNT players were born here but grow up in Europe.

Think about it there's a resson why his not commited to Canada yet.

He started away at Lleida, the rival scored early and Espanyol B went down to 10 on an early double yellow. Now m. 60.

They have a lot of injuries, I think a u-19 keeper is playing.

Edit: he just scored a "golazo" to tie it, about m. 70.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

49 minutes ago, narduch said:

Found the goal from today.

Camp d'Esports de Lleida--not a bad stadium, I've been there when it was packed, a Cup game vs. Atlético a few years ago. 

Here's a bit of trivia for the Canada soccer buffs: what famous phrase was pronounced by what person connected to Canadian soccer in that visitor's dressing room, where Koleosho was today?

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Camp d'Esports de Lleida--not a bad stadium, I've been there when it was packed, a Cup game vs. Atlético a few years ago. 

Here's a bit of trivia for the Canada soccer buffs: what famous phrase was pronounced by what person connected to Canadian soccer in that visitor's dressing room, where Koleosho was today?

Guessing it's the Floro quote

9 hours ago, VinceA said:

One thing that makes me sad is Larin used to score these bullet goals from right outside the box but he hasn't done that once in Europe.

Yeah, in MLS he had these great goals from shots with no backlift from his shooting foot. I hadn't seen anything like it (or very, very, rarely). I thought it was a unique skill that could take him far, catching keepers off guard or just not having enough time to react. Then poof, it stopped completely.

Just now, Kent said:

Yeah, in MLS he had these great goals from shots with no backlift from his shooting foot. I hadn't seen anything like it (or very, very, rarely). I thought it was a unique skill that could take him far, catching keepers off guard or just not having enough time to react. Then poof, it stopped completely.

Funnily enough, Matt Doyle pointed out that one of the things that makes Larin so good is he doesn't need any sort of wind up for strong shots, and his goal against the US was precisely due to that, giving Turner no time to prepare for the shot.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Funnily enough, Matt Doyle pointed out that one of the things that makes Larin so good is he doesn't need any sort of wind up for strong shots, and his goal against the US was precisely due to that, giving Turner no time to prepare for the shot.

I assume you are talking about in Hamilton. He was running for that goal, which gives him some amount of wind up, even if it was taken a bit quickly. I'm thinking more like the first goal in these highlights. Flat footed and just shoots it and I have no idea how he generated the power.

Another similar non-wind up goal at 1:51 of that video. I can maybe see it a bit in that USA goal you mentioned, and there is another one in the highlights above where he got up off the ground and scored maybe midway through the video, but the first goal and the one at 1:51 REALLY show that unique ability that I haven't really seen since.

19 hours ago, narduch said:

Complete with a song my 6 year old would appreciate .

On a more serious note I wonder if he gets called up for their Cup game v Atletico on Wednesday 

They have used some u-19s in the Cup and have called in two for this week;, one is a CB, Simo, who is still 17 and for me is one of the most exciting kids I have seen in a long time, he's so smooth, huge talent. He and Roger Martínez were supposed to go to Spain call-ups but were released for the Cup.

Simo even started at home last Cup fixture to Celta, Liga team, quite amazing for a kid that age to handle the level.

He's one of the 23 called into the team for the away Copa match at Bilbao, tomorrow evening.

The last 5 on the list are all from the B or u-19 team.

I suppose I have commented on this, but you can't underestimate Espanyol's work with the academy, they are one of the best in Spain and have been for decades. Their u-12 just won the prestigous Liga Promises, held over the holidays with many international teams as well, after R Madrid and Barcelona it's the academy that has won it most.

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's one of the 23 called into the team for the away Copa match at Bilbao, tomorrow evening.

The last 5 on the list are all from the B or u-19 team.

I suppose I have commented on this, but you can't underestimate Espanyol's work with the academy, they are one of the best in Spain and have been for decades. Their u-12 just won the prestigous Liga Promises, held over the holidays with many international teams as well, after R Madrid and Barcelona it's the academy that has won it most.

Fingers crossed he makes the match day squad and then sees the pitch.   

Thanks for the update.   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fingers crossed he makes the match day squad and then sees the pitch.   

Thanks for the update.   

I am not sure, but I think they can have 9 subs on the bench for the 5 substitutions. So that is 20, they'd have to not dress three.

After his goal and given how Cup matches go, needing some late firepower, I think he'll dress. Braithwaite apparently was not called as he has an injury, so there is a striker you need to cover for.