Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not sure, but I think they can have 9 subs on the bench for the 5 substitutions. So that is 20, they'd have to not dress three.

After his goal and given how Cup matches go, needing some late firepower, I think he'll dress. Braithwaite apparently was not called as he has an injury, so there is a striker you need to cover for.

I know Koleosho got injured around when Braithwaite signed, but not immediately if I recall correctly. I believe the injury was a few weeks after, and I believe it was Braithwaite who (understandably) pushed Koleosho down the depth chart and ultimately out of the 18. Then, the injury came, no?

If Braithwaite is out, maybe that does increase Koleosho's chances, as you say. Getting any first team minutes as an 18 year old is huge, be it league or Cup. Both are massive competitions. 

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I know Koleosho got injured around when Braithwaite signed, but not immediately if I recall correctly. I believe the injury was a few weeks after, and I believe it was Braithwaite who (understandably) pushed Koleosho down the depth chart and ultimately out of the 18. Then, the injury came, no?

If Braithwaite is out, maybe that does increase Koleosho's chances, as you say. Getting any first team minutes as an 18 year old is huge, be it league or Cup. Both are massive competitions. 

More or less correct, good sequence you did. The point was they were either going to sell Raul de Tomàs big or keep him, they sold him cheap because he'd been lame for months. Braithwaite was supposed to be the main replacement, but it's turned out he's not scoring. Then Joselu, who noone rated, is scoring big (including one from the centre circle last match).

But all that is the centre striker debate. Sort of like Canada, you push a striker more to the wing to make room for 2. They really don't have any classic wing attackers. The spot is there if Luca wants it. One of the academy kids, Rubén Sánchez, is a strong tall right back they put into the team up higher, you could say he took Luca's spot when he was injured, but they didn't sign a mature right wing. Or left.

Espanyol has also had problems with keeping, they've been through 4 so far this year. It's important because they're spending on other positions.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Great, very tough match away in Bilbao, they are historically the toughest club in the Spanish Cup as well. 

So that Rubén S. is the right back from the academy, he's a bit older, the only younger or B team player starting.

Attackers he might sub for are Joselu and local boy Puado, who was on the Olympic team if anyone saw the Tokyo final. Luca is the only attacking sub apart from Nico Melamed, who's another come through the academy, an attacking mid.

What the hell, I know I am a pain in the butt with this stuff, but some of you appreciate it. Signed pictures of Puado are in many bars and restaurants in my neighbourhood, when his parents split up and he was just getting Espanyol and Spain u-23 minutes, he came to live with his father very nearby.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I couldn't watch, had stuff. Just the last 5 minutes. Anyone? 

Wasn't able to, but I see he got a rating of 4.6, lowest amongst the five substitutes. Not lowest amongst the entire team, however. Puado got a 3.1, and there were a few more players in the 3s. The highest rating went to the keeper at 8.5. Highest outfield player was a 6.3, so pretty big drop off. 

Not that I put a tremendous amount of weight on this stuff, but his rating seems to be around middle of the pack today. This suggests he wasn't much worse (or better) than his teammates, who by and large are La Liga players, aside from a few of his B teammates who got the call up. All in all, unfortunate to see them lose, but good for him to get more first team experience.

Now if he can build on this and get back to playing in the league that would be great.

Edited by Obinna

Well I watched most of the first half before he was on, and Athletic had them on the back foot the whole time. Intense attacking play, running them off the ball. They hardly could keep it or have a chance. The commentators here were saying it was like a team in the final 10 of a game looking for a needed goal, that intense. They were lucky to only be losing by a single goal.

Bit of context, Español beat them in Bilbao in the league. So they had that to correct and came out hard. And for Espanyol, most fans are saying since they are relegation threatened, better concentrate on the league and not so much the Cup.

All I saw when he was on was that he'd lose it quickly, as the entire team did. No one was clicking, there was no cohesive passing, and I saw the last 5 min when a goal would have sent it into the extra periods.

Personally I am mostly concerned that the US does not tempt him for the upcoming January window, I prefer him to fly slightly under the radar for a few weeks, then let us bring him in for March.

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well I watched most of the first half before he was on, and Athletic had them on the back foot the whole time. Intense attacking play, running them off the ball. They hardly could keep it or have a chance. The commentators here were saying it was like a team in the final 10 of a game looking for a needed goal, that intense. They were lucky to only be losing by a single goal.

Bit of context, Español beat them in Bilbao in the league. So they had that to correct and came out hard. And for Espanyol, most fans are saying since they are relegation threatened, better concentrate on the league and not so much the Cup.

All I saw when he was on was that he'd lose it quickly, as the entire team did. No one was clicking, there was no cohesive passing, and I saw the last 5 min when a goal would have sent it into the extra periods.

Personally I am mostly concerned that the US does not tempt him for the upcoming January window, I prefer him to fly slightly under the radar for a few weeks, then let us bring him in for March.

Thanks for the report. I just saw the US roster for January vs Serbia and Colombia and he was not on it.

44 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Was invited but not released

Source? Am not doubting, just curious. 

He's just come off injury, literally in 10 days he has played as a sub for the B, had a B start, then was a sub for first team. That is all since October.

Another possibility: you get called up but ask your club to not release you, saves you from having to say no. Because Espanyol will almost always let a youth player go to an international call-up outside an official window, only exceptionally they'll ask them not to.

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's just come off injury, literally in 10 days he has played as a sub for the B, had a B start, then was a sub for first team. That is all since October.

Another possibility: you get called up but ask your club to not release you, saves you from having to say no. Because Espanyol will almost always let a youth player go to an international call-up outside an official window, only exceptionally they'll ask them not to.

Yes agree, but I feel like that possibility was strich because this was not a FIFA window and Espanyol doesn't have many healthy players. He also is coming off an injury. This just seems like his undecided.

5 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Was invited but not released

Seems understandable they'd invite him and he wouldn't be released. From the USA angle of course they'll want to get him in. Fortunate for us they weren't able to. Espanyol did us a solid, but of course they had their own reasons not for releasing him. They are doing us no favours out of friendship, they simply have a player on their hands who can help them out.

This is different than say Jonathan Gomez, who is a highly touted dual international, but cannot seem to make a break through at Real Sociadad and is stuck with the B team. Granted they are a stronger club, very typically in the top half and this season in the top 5 if I recall correctly, but fact of the matter is that Espanyol will be wanting Koleosho to stick around to help the cause. 

This obviously works in our favour (for now), but what happens next? I can only imagine that Koleosho would have accepted this call and played this January if Espanyol allowed it, because it wouldn't take away his eligibility and it's been understood by some that his intention has always been to check out both setups before making a choice.

Maybe going to the US camp this January would have been good. Get it out of the way during this period of flux with no full time manager and few "A" players to share the training ground with. Then again, better he doesn't go to the USA camp at all. If he does intend to experience the US camp at some point, can we convince him to forego it and play with us, commit to us, etc.?

Nations League games coming next, both for us and the Americans. What happens if both teams call him?

If he plays a handful of first team games between now and then, he's arguably a merit-based selection for either side. If he plays for Canada, it's done I believe. He cannot switch back. If he plays for the USA, I think he is quasi-done and falls into that weird "3-cap max before the age of 21" category. Is that correct? Cannot fully recall exactly. 

Either way, I don't feel great about our chances with him. My head says it's basically 50-50, with the edge going to Canada, just because he's already attended multiple camps now, but my gut says he's going to end up playing for the Americans, because he actually hasn't played for us despite the chance to. I hope I am wrong. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have been told it was a bit of both the club allowing him to go if he wanted but preferred not to, and the player also choosing to stay put and continue fighting for minutes since his return from injury

Edited by Footyeh

4 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Have been told it was a bit of both the club allowing him to go if he wanted but preferred not to, and the player also choosing to stay put and continue fighting for minutes since his return from injury

This is good to hear. Even if the primary motivation is to stay with his club, it bodes well for us that he wasnt' prioritizing a USMNT call. Makes the March window all the more interesting. I assume he'll still be continuing to fight for minutes at that time. He could forego a call from both the States and Canada when March comes around.

Just now, Sechat23 said:

I feel like he's going to be in a camp for who, who knows. If you were him who would you pick and why? Be unbiased.

All things considered the US probably doesn't call him if they are calling in a full squad. Unless they just want to shamelessly cap tie him.

As for who he should choose? The Americans are totally over-rated so for sure he should choose Canada. We are the future. :)

17 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

I feel like he's going to be in a camp for who, who knows. If you were him who would you pick and why? Be unbiased.

Honestly, if I were being unbiased and I were him I would pick the United States.

Better chance of winning trophies in the region, potentially gets to play in a Copa America as host, and the player pool has a relative lack of wingers compared to Canada. Our wing depth is Davies, Buchanan and Liam Millar. Their wing depth is Pulisic and Weah. Aaronson can play there, but he's not a true winger so there's an argument his path for minutes would be easier with the USMNT.

There's also the fact he was born in the US and grew up there and has already played for their youth team.  

If we manage to get him, it will be a steal for us! If we don't, it's not a case of being robbed imo.

I'd like to think we are over halfway there, considering his attendance in our senior camps. However, we have seen the likes of Flores and Mitrovic use us to attract the attention of Serbia and Mexico respectively. I can see that happening here, but it wouldn't feel like a player lost for me (unlike the other two), in a "can't lose what's not yours" sort of way, if that makes sense. 

Edit: Forgot the big one.... better chance of making a deep WC run. Pains me to say it, but it's the truth. Hard to say otherwise when we have yet to win a WC match in our history.

Getting that first W (should have happened this time, big miss on our part) and getting out of our group should be the next two milestones. Anything else is gravy. 

For the States? They have to eye making a deep run, especially as hosts. QF or better has to be their target, advancing from the group has to be a must, and getting past the round of 32 (feels weird to say that) also has be an expectation.

For the USA, not going past the round of 16 would be a disappointment, sure, but not an outright failure. Canada getting to the same stage will be a historical accomplishment.  

Edited by Obinna