WCQ: Canada vs Bermuda - March 25th 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific - Orlando FL

If there was ever a game that proved players in form / in season should start, this was it.  Big difference in the European players playing regularly vs the players out of form / out of season.

Overall good result.  Losing the shut out hurt a little and the fact we should have twice as many goals as well.

Borjan - Too bad about the error but he is still my number 1 keeper but we got some young keepers on the rise.

Vitoria & Miller were quiet but good today as expected.

Adekugbe looked great.

Laryea looked great (did not look out of season like others).

Davies is clearly a level above everyone else on the pitch.

Hoilett was a little bit off for sure and should have scored.

Cavallini was definitely off and when in form easily gets a hat trick.  But he was getting into the right places.

Larin was everything we expected with his recent form.

Atiba & Eustaquio were solid.  I really look forward to those two playing together in big games.

Johnston, Piette and Wotherspoon did their job well when they came on.

Corbeanu & Millar looked very good when called on.

Expect to see a few changes for the next one.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I'm legit surprised there aren't Euro teams interested in Laryea.

I'm surprised that Laryea was underappreciated so long. Orlando never gave him a fair shot, pretty sure it took a trial for TFC to pick him up. This guy shows up regardless of the opposition. Love it

6 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

and Squizz tweeted today!!!

I feel like the last time I saw his name was when people asking if he was OK after that 2012 WCQ result, after he apparently took it hard in whatever viewing party he was at. Glad to hear he has resurfaced, albeit 8.5 years later.

2 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Great result. Love to see Larin pot 3 goals today, I hope he becomes the striker that we rely on in big games. Also, love watching how Davies was 10 times better then the opponent. Looked like a guy how they would in youth if they played against kids 4 or 5 years younger ahahhah

Also a good way to at least temporarily end the Larin vs Cav debate.

If there was a World Cup Qualifier played with less intensity than this match, I'd hate to see it. That goal that Borjan gave up.....I mean he may have literally been half asleep at the time. At least four of our players had turned their back to him on the play assuming he caught the gift-cross to him and were heading up the field to score another goal when they belatedly realized that the ball was in the back of the net. Never seen anything like that and I hope we don't again.

I am glad we are playing games at least but that was more like a casual training session for both teams. Great to Corbeanu play, definitely seems like one to get excited about, got to love an 18 year old scoring on his first touch of the ball in a Canadian jersey for a WCQ.

4 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If there was a World Cup Qualifier played with less intensity than this match, I'd hate to see it. That goal that Borjan gave up.....I mean he may have literally been half asleep at the time. At least four of our players had turned their back to him on the play assuming he caught the gift-cross to him and were heading up the field to score another goal when they belatedly realized that the ball was in the back of the net. Never seen anything like that and I hope we don't again.

I am glad we are playing games at least but that was more like a casual training session for both teams. Great to Corbeanu play, definitely seems like one to get excited about, got to love an 18 year old scoring on his first touch of the ball in a Canadian jersey for a WCQ.

Big fan of Borjan, but just for that gaffe I'd like to see St Clair get a chance in goal the next game (capping him would also be good..)

... yeah this tread is less depressing than the Honduras one 😅

Edited by LeoH037

5 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Big fan of Borjan, but just for that gaffe I'd like to see St Clair get a chance in goal the next game (capping him would also be good..)

... yeah this tread is less depressing than the Honduras one 😅

Yeah, I came over here to cheer up!

Question... what formation did we play today? A flat 4-4-2?..... is that the new identity?. I thought all the teams were supposed to play the same system.

That’s my only thing I can say about tonight game. Oh and Cavallini needs to be a super sub....I’ve said this long before his performance tonight.

His mobility has regressed, which falters our attack/his ability to play in the last man/breakout... love the guy, but in the future we’re better with David & Larin.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Question... what formation did we play today? A flat 4-4-2?..... is that the new identity?. I thought all the teams were supposed to play the same system.

That’s my only thing I can say about tonight game. Oh and Cavallini needs to be a super sub....I’ve said this long before his performance tonight.

His mobility has regressed, which falters our attack/his ability to play in the last man/breakout... love the guy, but in the future we’re better with David & Larin.

I'm not so down on Cav, he's out of season and could very well of had a hat trick on the night!

Honestly, I'm kind of shocked that tonight's play seemed rather typical to you guys. I don't think I've ever seen us ping the ball around so well. We looked like a club side with well-drilled attacking patterns and moves, and understanding between the players. Not merely one-touch for the sake of it, but meaningful pass and move combining with several players in fluid and clever motion. Yes the Bermuda defenders were essentially pilons at times, but it's beside the point. I don't watch U23 etc so maybe you guys are seeing this type of play from Canada more regularly, but I definitely don't recall CMNT playing so cohesive! I'm fucking pumped!

I'm not going to go through the 49+ pages of posts to see if my observation was noted, but I think Hoilett's time is almost up. The momentum seemed to stop the second he touched the ball. Held onto the ball too long, bad passes, poor decision making. Looked like a guy who'd been frozen out of his club team and trying to make an impression but seemed to be on a totally different page from the rest of the team.

24 minutes ago, Oranje said:

I'm not going to go through the 49+ pages of posts to see if my observation was noted, but I think Hoilett's time is almost up. The momentum seemed to stop the second he touched the ball. Held onto the ball too long, bad passes, poor decision making. Looked like a guy who'd been frozen out of his club team and trying to make an impression but seemed to be on a totally different page from the rest of the team.

He was always a great dribbler but it looks like he no longer has the pace to get past people