York9 - Season Thread 2020

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Great point. The one thing is, if they did ever build a stadium I don't know 10-15 years from now near that proposed Kirby GO station, it'd still be quite accessible from downtown. All you'd have to do is take the GO Train Barrie Line from Union to Kirby. It's about 40 minutes one way, and about $8 one way. The funny thing is how the subway from Union to Pioneer Village is about 40 minutes one way as well lol. 

The thing is, I don't think a lot of people are going to take that GO Train option, because people generally associate that with weekday commuting rather than the weekends. And the bigger point would be, whether Y9 wants to continue to market to the York Region specifically, which is vast land area, or acknowledge that part of their fanbase is also coming from downtown TO and North York and etc. Everything about the 1st year suggested their focus was on the former, but they need to focus on the latter as well in their 2nd year. 

Went to a handful of games last year including both Canadian championship games would love for them to build a stadium north end of Vaughan coming for Innisfil/Barrie is a bit of a trek. Defiantly would consider season tickets. 

Edited by Bigcountry90

Been away from the boards for a while but I've liked what we've seen (and heard rumors of) from Y9 this off-season.  A club that learns from their mistakes and moves quickly to correct those issues are rare.  Spectator seating, ticket pricing and change in president all speak to that.  I did like Ganzhorn but the marketing for the club isn't even close to where it should be, if that was his primary duty it's hard to argue his case.

There are a few shortcomings with the squad still.  I'd like to see a double digit goal caliber striker added.  I'd love if Karajovanovic turned out to be this guy and be the Y9 version of Easton Ongaro.  If the Petrasso rumor comes through, on top of that striker, the first IX should go toe to toe with anyone in the league (Forge, Calvary inlcuded).  Curious to see what happens at the back in terms of depth.  Thompson missed a lot of time with injury last season and surely Gasparatto can't play every minute again this season. 

I don't think that Y9 are going to drop their "9" or stadium dreams yet.  I understand where all the comments are coming from and think that it is a clever idea to drop the 9 and embrace YORK but everything that they did to launch the club was to differentiate themselves from Toronto.  

July 6, 2014 first year of League 1 Ontario game between TFC Academy and Woodbridge Strikers and a key photo in my report http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports14/14l1o044.htm

Halftime subs Mo Babouli, Mark-Anthony Kaye and Chris Mannella coming into the game with PA guy Anthony Totella (now a motivational speaker for the CPL). Page down to the bottom for photos.

Note the captain of TFCA was defender Mateo Restrepo now being talked about as a possible signing for a CPL team.

Being on the TTC line is good for fans from Toronto, but I have a York 9 jersey that doesn’t say Toronto on it anywhere. It does say Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, King City, Newmarket, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Aurora, East Gwillimbury, and Georgina. Those municipalities don’t care about TTC (with a possible minority in Vaughan being the exception). If you allow me to generalize a bit, people from those areas drive, and I would bet a lot of them don’t like to drive into Toronto. Probably for a new stadium for this team (assuming it doesn’t essentially “relocate” from its original vision) having ample parking is going to be much more important than public transportation access, at least for the supposed target audience.

I live in Toronto, but it doesn’t have to suck up everything into it. If KW or London got a team I wouldn’t want them to play out of Toronto either. Where the team is now is like having a team called “Saskatchewan Smoothriders” playing their home games in the Alberta side of Lloydminster.

26 minutes ago, Kent said:

Being on the TTC line is good for fans from Toronto, but I have a York 9 jersey that doesn’t say Toronto on it anywhere. It does say Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, King City, Newmarket, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Aurora, East Gwillimbury, and Georgina. Those municipalities don’t care about TTC (with a possible minority in Vaughan being the exception). If you allow me to generalize a bit, people from those areas drive, and I would bet a lot of them don’t like to drive into Toronto. Probably for a new stadium for this team (assuming it doesn’t essentially “relocate” from its original vision) having ample parking is going to be much more important than public transportation access, at least for the supposed target audience.

I live in Toronto, but it doesn’t have to suck up everything into it. If KW or London got a team I wouldn’t want them to play out of Toronto either. Where the team is now is like having a team called “Saskatchewan Smoothriders” playing their home games in the Alberta side of Lloydminster.

Yes! As a suburban car driver who hates using public transit, I would be immensely disappointed if the club moved further into the city. It’s present location is actually fine by me because it’s right near the 407 and Keele, so it’s a 20 or so minute drive for me from Aurora, and the parking situation was pretty good last season. If they do move, I’d like it to be into Vaughan.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

But the current location is the best of both worlds for public transit and driving.

I drive to most of the games and there's literally free parking 8 minute walk away at the Pioneer Village subway station. I doubt parking would be free at the new stadium.

12 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

But the current location is the best of both worlds for public transit and driving.

I drive to most of the games and there's literally free parking 8 minute walk away at the Pioneer Village subway station. I doubt parking would be free at the new stadium.

Agreed. I think that the current location is actually great. It’s the stadium that needs serious work. 

11 hours ago, Kent said:

You really think there are Y9 fans coming regularly to the games from East Gwillimbury or Georgina or something? 

You really think people living in Vaughan, Richmond Hill or Markham don't like driving into Toronto or something? Lmao

You do know that the intersection of Yonge and Steeles is where the cities of Toronto (North York), Vaughan, and Markham border each other, right? The 3 cities literally border each other. I doubt anybody is grimacing as they cross Steeles or something.

Y9 literally plays in North York/Toronto as of its debut. The vast majority of the fans are fine with the location, it's literally at the border of Vaughan and North York, literally walking distance south of Steeles. 15 minute drive max from Woodbridge, Concord or Thornhill. 

But to disregard fans coming in from downtown or other parts of Toronto who are taking the subway or the TTC over is a flagrant disregard of a sizable portion of the fanbase. I will assume you have googled where Kirby and Keele is, just south of the border between Vaughan and King City. 

It's great and all that the jersey has East Gwillimbury and Georgina, but I think it's both hilarious and dangerous for Y9 that some people believe having a stadium location that enables people from places like East Gwillimbury and Georgina to drive over to a location like Kirby and alienate any Y9 and CPL diehards coming over from Toronto or other parts of the GTA is a good idea.

This club needs every fan it can get, and I am 100% positive that there are more Y9 fans coming over from Toronto than there would be from Aurora, East Gwilimbury, Georgina, King, Newmarket, and Whitchurch-Stouffville combined. And that any move to Kirby would result in a net decrease in overall tickets sold. I honestly hope you all have googled where Kirby and Keele is as you comment in this thread. And taken note of how many people in this thread have literally said "I live in Toronto/North York". 

Edited by ironcub14

And honestly I thought by now the vast majority of football fans out there have seen from experience that stadiums in urban high-density settings is the way to go, not in some flung-out edge of the metropolitan area where you can see nothing but land. 

And is it not obvious to people that Greenpark is using Y9 as one of its tools to drive up any future property values for its next mega development or whatever at Kirby? And has likely influenced politicians at the provincial level to get a coveted GO station at the area, against the recommendation of provincial authorities at Metrolinx?

Like damn, I love Canadian soccer and everything, but some of you need to see the bigger picture. Kirby is a pipe dream. We will know if we get closer to it. Right now, it is quite a distance away, literally and figuratively. 

5 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

You really think there are Y9 fans coming regularly to the games from East Gwillimbury or Georgina or something? 

You really think people living in Vaughan, Richmond Hill or Markham don't like driving into Toronto or something? Lmao

You do know that the intersection of Yonge and Steeles is where the cities of Toronto (North York), Vaughan, and Markham border each other, right? The 3 cities literally border each other. I doubt anybody is grimacing as they cross Steeles or something.

Y9 literally plays in North York/Toronto as of its debut. The vast majority of the fans are fine with the location, it's literally at the border of Vaughan and North York, literally walking distance south of Steeles. 15 minute drive max from Woodbridge, Concord or Thornhill. 

But to disregard fans coming in from downtown or other parts of Toronto who are taking the subway or the TTC over is a flagrant disregard of a sizable portion of the fanbase. I will assume you have googled where Kirby and Keele is, just south of the border between Vaughan and King City. 

It's great and all that the jersey has East Gwillimbury and Georgina, but I think it's both hilarious and dangerous for Y9 that some people believe having a stadium location that enables people from places like East Gwillimbury and Georgina to drive over to a location like Kirby and alienate any Y9 and CPL diehards coming over from Toronto or other parts of the GTA is a good idea.

This club needs every fan it can get, and I am 100% positive that there are more Y9 fans coming over from Toronto than there would be from Aurora, East Gwilimbury, Georgina, King, Newmarket, and Whitchurch-Stouffville combined. And that any move to Kirby would result in a net decrease in overall tickets sold. I honestly hope you all have googled where Kirby and Keele is as you comment in this thread. And taken note of how many people in this thread have literally said "I live in Toronto/North York". 

I don’t think it’s an either/or situation though. Firstly, there are 1.3 MM people in the places you just described. So, there are certainly enough people to support a club without Toronto crossovers -however, I’m not against appealing to them! I don’t think that anyone is against locating the club near Toronto, but I don’t think the club should be in the city itself. It’s present location is fine. Also, I take issue with something else that you said: I live in Aurora and I go to just about every game. There are lots of fans from Vaughan too. I absolutely hate driving to or in the city of Toronto, and actively avoid going into the city. I hate public transit and won’t use it, and driving in the city is a nightmare. I sometimes go to TFC games, but it’s almost not worth it because I have to go into the city. 

Anyways, nobody is talking about putting the stadium in Georgina. The club should keep the stadium near it’s present location. Might be best to just upgrade the stadium and keep it where it is. 

2 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I don’t think it’s an either/or situation though. Firstly, there are 1.3 MM people in the places you just described. So, there are certainly enough people to support a club without Toronto crossovers -however, I’m not against appealing to them! I don’t think that anyone is against locating the club near Toronto, but I don’t think the club should be in the city itself. It’s present location is fine. Also, I take issue with something else that you said: I live in Aurora and I go to just about every game. There are lots of fans from Vaughan too. I absolutely hate driving to or in the city of Toronto, and actively avoid going into the city. I hate public transit and won’t use it, and driving in the city is a nightmare. I sometimes go to TFC games, but it’s almost not worth it because I have to go into the city. 

Anyways, nobody is talking about putting the stadium in Georgina. The club should keep the stadium near it’s present location. Might be best to just upgrade the stadium and keep it where it is. 

And I was talking about a stadium in Kirby, not in Georgina. 

Yes, I know how many people there are in York Region. I also know how many of those live in each of the 9 municipalities, it's a 10-second lookup on Wikipedia. That's why I specifically mentioned 6 of those 9 municipalities. Of course I know that the majority of fans are coming from Vaughan, likely followed by Toronto/North York, Richmond Hill, and Markham. 

And yes, of course I know there are lots of Y9 fans coming over from Aurora, Newmarket, and Stouffville, including yourself, others in this thread, and others I know personally. I am considering moving to Stouffville in the future myself, as I have tons of family there. 

However, I am pretty confident in what I said, that there are more Y9 fans coming over from Toronto than there would be from Aurora, East Gwilimbury, Georgina, King, Newmarket, and Whitchurch-Stouffville combined. There are a lot of CPL diehards coming from Toronto that come because they want to support the league. It would be financially dangerous for the club to disregard these fans. 

I think a move to Kirby would make it an either/or situation. You literally have CPL diehard fans from Toronto who are telling you in this very thread that they will not be able to come to games if Y9 moved to Kirby. I can think of dozens if not hundreds of people who would instantly think the same. 

And, we all agree York Lions is a good location. You aren't even driving into North York, it's literally 30 seconds away from the border of North York and Vaughan at Steeles. 

39 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

And I was talking about a stadium in Kirby, not in Georgina. 

Yes, I know how many people there are in York Region. I also know how many of those live in each of the 9 municipalities, it's a 10-second lookup on Wikipedia. That's why I specifically mentioned 6 of those 9 municipalities. Of course I know that the majority of fans are coming from Vaughan, likely followed by Toronto/North York, Richmond Hill, and Markham. 

And yes, of course I know there are lots of Y9 fans coming over from Aurora, Newmarket, and Stouffville, including yourself, others in this thread, and others I know personally. I am considering moving to Stouffville in the future myself, as I have tons of family there. 

However, I am pretty confident in what I said, that there are more Y9 fans coming over from Toronto than there would be from Aurora, East Gwilimbury, Georgina, King, Newmarket, and Whitchurch-Stouffville combined. There are a lot of CPL diehards coming from Toronto that come because they want to support the league. It would be financially dangerous for the club to disregard these fans. 

I think a move to Kirby would make it an either/or situation. You literally have CPL diehard fans from Toronto who are telling you in this very thread that they will not be able to come to games if Y9 moved to Kirby. I can think of dozens if not hundreds of people who would instantly think the same. 

And, we all agree York Lions is a good location. You aren't even driving into North York, it's literally 30 seconds away from the border of North York and Vaughan at Steeles. 

1) Stouffville is a really cool place, you’ll love it if you do move there!

2) I don’t know where the proposed station is supposed to be going for sure, isn’t it Keele and Teston? That would be great for me, but I get that the urban folk might not be into it. I think we agree that the current location is fine, they just need to fix the stadium up because it’s not good enough. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

I absolutely hate driving to or in the city of Toronto, and actively avoid going into the city. I hate public transit and won’t use it, and driving in the city is a nightmare. I sometimes go to TFC games, but it’s almost not worth it because I have to go into the city. 

100% with you on this.  I used to have TFC and Argos season tickets but have let them both go largely due to the headache and aggravation of getting to and from games from Vaughan.  I haven't gone to a game for either of them in 2 years.

Y9 was expecting more support from the local soccer clubs in York Region last year.  In lieu of that support I think moving the club from its currently location would be detrimental.  Capitalize on the location that you have in the mean time, reach out to the Toronto residents in the area, remove the track etc.

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

Isn't Kirby GO essentially dead?

Especially with the current bunch of morons running the province.

Well it's Stephen Lecce's area, and he seems to be Ford's #1 guy at the moment, so I think it would very much be in play. Plus, it was Steven Del Duca's project, and he seems likely to be the next Liberal leader, so you've literally got bipartisan support for the Kirby station the last couple of years. 

I think companies like Greenpark do their work to ensure that they get their projects done, no matter who's in charge of the province. Play both sides. 

I don't follow Toronto transit closely or anything, so I may be completely off on this, but the thing is, I look at Google Maps, and I do see why a company like Greenpark would push for Kirby station. It being north of Maple and Teston, and halfway between Maple and King, I can see how it will have big fancy homes and other development in the next 2-10 years. I'd say that even independent of being a Y9 fan. It's politically shady, but off initial glance, I don't see why it's that bad to put a station there. I just don't know if a stadium there is the best thing for Y9, that's all. Who knows. 

Edited by ironcub14

• RS locked this topic