York9 - Season Thread 2020

Adjei underappreciated. Fulfilled the target man CF role better than anybody on the roster in the 4-3-3, always looked for the ball as the central fulcrum, and then kept it moving to the wings. Not enough goals for sure though. But definitely outplayed Cox and Rollocks in the same position easily, and too easy of a scapegoat for fans.

Of course there are better CFs out there. But Babouli is most definitely not a CF, so shouldn't be considered a like for like. Jimmy should hopefully have at least two other target man types in mind. 

Jimmy called Vasconcelos a false nine or a wing. With Petrasso and Hamilton I am assuming he will be playing the 9. 

I do agree that they need a backup striker someone with size to replace Adjei. Skublek as a backup wouldnt be awful its just to bad hes 22 and not a u21 player. 

30 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Jimmy called Vasconcelos a false nine or a wing. With Petrasso and Hamilton I am assuming he will be playing the 9.

Well Hamilton has primarily played as a CF and Vascancelos has primarily played as a RW during their careers so far, so it could easily be any arrangement.

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

Adjei underappreciated. Fulfilled the target man CF role better than anybody on the roster in the 4-3-3, always looked for the ball as the central fulcrum, and then kept it moving to the wings. Not enough goals for sure though. But definitely outplayed Cox and Rollocks in the same position easily, and too easy of a scapegoat for fans.

Of course there are better CFs out there. But Babouli is most definitely not a CF, so shouldn't be considered a like for like. Jimmy should hopefully have at least two other target man types in mind. 

I was critical of Adjei, he wasn't a dangerous enough threat as a striker.  Having Gattas and Telfer on the squad really took a lot of the scoring load off of him.  Yes, he was definitely better than others in the same position.

I don't think Adjei is going to be replaced with another forward with his traits.  It's clear that Jimmy wants to play a certain type of football and establish Y9 with a style. He sees the way the roster is shaping up, what still needs to be addressed, other potential signings, and sees having Adjei as luxury player to the roster.

• 14 signed players
  • no depth at the back 
  • no U21's signed
  • Hamilton/Babouli are still rumors right now

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Ottawa should scoop him up.

Isacco still has the head coaching job at York University for both men's and women's teams.  

Also back on January 8th, 2020,  Vaughan Soccer Club (they play as Vaughan Azzurri in League 1 Ontario) announced that Sergio DeLuca had returned to their club as their new club technical director.  He was a York 9 FC assistant coach last season.  

51 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't really like this reported salary cap on coaches. If anything, I think we need to build a nation of coaches before we can build a nation of players. I'd be doing everything I could to get as many CPLers through the national levels, and likely to UEFA to finish the job. 

I kind of thought "IF TRUE" a salary cap on coaches would keep teams from bringing in big dollar foreign types and force teams to give shots to younger, more hungry CDN/local guys.  And if Gale, Brennan, Hart etc are not up to muster, get Dasovic, Bent, Stalteri, Hume etc in there.  Same principle as Borges, Waterman, Didic etc using the league as a springboard, have a couple good years here and then onward and upward.  

8 minutes ago, Tigers said:

Burlington is part of the Hamilton CMA, not Toronto, so... debatable?  🤔

It's also kind of dumb to include Scugog but not Barrie or KW. 

Plus they didn't even include all the Toronto boroughs.

Feels like lame ass pandering

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

It's also kind of dumb to include Scugog but not Barrie or KW. 

Plus they didn't even include all the Toronto boroughs.

Barrie and KW are not GTA, while Scugog is.

I agree that it was colossally dumb not to have included all the Toronto boroughs, though. Feels like someone screwed up there.

2 hours ago, RS said:

Barrie and KW are not GTA, while Scugog is.

I agree that it was colossally dumb not to have included all the Toronto boroughs, though. Feels like someone screwed up there.

If they had done the boroughs that would've said Toronto.  This was intended as a statement to Y9, the CPL and potential investors looking to put clubs in the surrounding areas (Durham?) TFC considers all of the GTA their territory.

• RS locked this topic