Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

10 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Is TMG better than Staro? I am not sure. He is definitely more likely to be healthy

Is Dixon better than Gonzalez? I doubt it

Is Bustos better than Fisk? Probably but they are quite different players. If Bustos can operate centrally and they resign Fisk for the wing, that will be huge

Is De Jong better than Smith? Normally I would say yes, but I thought Smith played well last year and De Jong is a year older after only having played a handful of minutes following a major injury

Is Wirth good enough to be the starter? Sure. For a top team? Not so sure

Yep. Time will tell. Dixon could pop up in a few places I know in central mid, and down the right side at RB or RM. He will be a great asset and the most underrated of the signings imo. 

GK is a concern I had forgotten about village leaving.

I appreciate the cantera approach this far, but it's clearly not a policy per se and with all our 2020 signings to date we've moved away from BC; so where are the international signings? You'd think Pa, Friend and Simpson would have the best network in the CPL. Hey, I'd be happy with a raid of the US college ranks for any diamonds in the rough not yet on MLS radar. The forward positions could still use some work.

What does a 24 year-old striker with 1 Liga MX goal in 46 appearances typically expect to make? I understand the average salary is estimated to be around $300k, but I wouldn't think he'd be that close to average.

That said, I'd agree that there's not much point in coming here for $40k. Although who knows, maybe he met someone local. 

Looks like one of the biggest signings to date on the surface, but the goals are missing from his resume. Still, you cannot argue with all those Liga MX games, Mexican youth NT caps, and of course he comes at a good age. Very surprised he chose the CPL, but could be a very significant signing for the league and of course Pacific FC.

Like the rest of you, I am very curious what his salary would be. I am thinking it must be in the 70k range at least.

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Looks like one of the biggest signings to date on the surface, but the goals are missing from his resume. Still, you cannot argue with all those Liga MX games, Mexican youth NT caps, and of course he comes at a good age. Very surprised he chose the CPL, but could be a very significant signing for the league and of course Pacific FC.

Like the rest of you, I am very curious what his salary would be. I am thinking it must be in the 70k range at least.

Agreed. And with that kind of price tag, we probably won't see Haber returning. Pretty sure this signing finalizes that release.

Who cares how much he makes, he's signed up and Pacific are expecting goals out of him despite what his track record is like.  It's a statement of intent from Pacific and an exciting signing for the league.    

Puts pressure on Terran Campbell to build on his performance from last year, iron sharpens iron though. 

2 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

Who cares how much he makes, he's signed up and Pacific are expecting goals out of him despite what his track record is like.  It's a statement of intent from Pacific and an exciting signing for the league.    

Puts pressure on Terran Campbell to build on his performance from last year, iron sharpens iron though. 

How could we not care how much he makes? We saw first hand last season what inflated wages for individual players can do to a team with a restricted budget like ours. It cost us a lot of points last season, along with injuries to those expensive players. 

17 hours ago, Aird25 said:

How could we not care how much he makes? We saw first hand last season what inflated wages for individual players can do to a team with a restricted budget like ours. It cost us a lot of points last season, along with injuries to those expensive players. 

I don't care because I hate salary cap talk.  Cap talk is the furthest thing from sports talk that is disguised as sports talk, it's business talk.

With that said here is why Pacific fans shouldn't care.  Pacific also had the most success with unknown young players and have made no secret that this is their philosophy.  Those are the cheapest players to add to the squad leaving lots of room for signings like this.

Outside of the club, no one knows how much money anyone made last season.  If you are referring to Haber, Issey, Fisk and De Jong, as the players with inflated wages, well only De Jong is currently signed.  Whether we know what the cap is or not you can see there is room as Haber, Fisk and Issey are gone and the big signings coming in are Bustos and Diaz. 

I don't care because I hate salary cap talk.  Cap talk is the furthest thing from sports talk that is disguised as sports talk, it's business talk.

With that said here is why Pacific fans shouldn't care.  Pacific also had the most success with unknown young players and have made no secret that this is their philosophy.  Those are the cheapest players to add to the squad leaving lots of room for signings like this.

Outside of the club, no one knows how much money anyone made last season.  If you are referring to Haber, Issey, Fisk and De Jong, as the players with inflated wages, well only De Jong is currently signed.  Whether we know what the cap is or not you can see there is room as Haber, Fisk and Issey are gone and the big signings coming in are Bustos and Diaz. 

The offseason must be absolutely torture for you then. I would much rather be talking about the sporting side of things, but in lieu of any on field action at the moment, roster building is what we're left with. If you cut out the money side of things, I don't think you can fairly assess decisions. Anyways, I personally find that aspect of the game fun to play along with, even if you don't. 

Pacific went very young last season, but I wouldn't call many of their players unknown. Most of the young guys had a fair bit of USL experience, and almost all were considered good prospects at one point. I'm curious to know if any of them were given a raise this season, after proving themselves competitive at this level.

If Bustos and Diaz replace Haber and Issey for the same salary, then I think we're greatly improved. Still, if we're relying heavily on the production of a few players, and 3 of those 4 spend good chunks of the season injured again, we're likely going to struggle similar to last season.

With that said here is why Pacific fans shouldn't care.  Pacific also had the most success with unknown young players ...

Perhaps you and I define "success" differently.

I love that we have given lots of minutes to young players and I want that to continue, but we barely finished mid-table and were in danger of earning the Wooden Spoon in the latter stages of the season.

I do expect our returning players to take a step up this year, and bringing in Diaz complements that and will give us a shot, but we were not successful last season.