Valour FC Season Thread 2019

Cavalry sitting out 6 of their starters today vs Valour. If Valour don’t AT LEAST get a draw I’m on the Gale out wagon. I’m all about giving chances but 1-6 at home with never scoring more than one is pathetic. Let’s see what the boys have got in them today on the big stage 👊🏽

First time I watch a home game on TV/stream. Trench sounded really good (Omar’s voice is loud) and the chants sounded good. It’s unfortunate from a television audience standpoint that we’re not in the middle a little more. 

Great to have a last minute goal to cheer on our side! 

But still no open play goal for Valour on the Trench side in 8 matches...

Edited by Ngravs

6 hours ago, Ngravs said:

First time I watch a home game on TV/stream. Trench sounded really good (Omar’s voice is loud) and the chants sounded good. It’s unfortunate from a television audience standpoint that we’re not in the middle a little more. 

Great to have a last minute goal to cheer on our side! 

But still no open play goal for Valour on the Trench side in 8 matches...

When Sacramento can get it onto his right foot he can threaten a little.  Really shook the frame there in the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

When Sacramento can get it onto his right foot he can threaten a little.  Really shook the frame there in the 2nd half. 

That was a nice shot. But that’s an individual play. I want to see the team break down a defence. Once they get to 2/3 they seem stuck, they pass it back or cross it to nobody. 

I think going with Arguinarena-Mitter-Thomas-Murrell for a few games in a row has settled things. I don't see any way that Gale leaves his captain on the bench for the second half of the season, so I think this is the best we can hope for barring a transfer. I actually liked how Thomas played on Wednesday, apart from his role in the collective clusterfu** on the first goal.

Frankly I'll be happy if we can keep Murrell out of the CB spot for the remainder of the season and I think with the help of the likes of Galan and Ohin the team will tighten things up considerably.

Maybe it's hypocritical of me given how much I've dumped on Murrell this season but I think he's been pretty decent at RB, possibly better than we've seen from Gutierrez. Having a left footed player in that position looks wrong, but he's played well since the move. Arguinarena was among Valour's best players early but I think he has faded a bit.

^ Echo that.  That last line is miles ahead of where it was just a few weeks ago.  Half of that might be down to whats going on in front of them to but I'm buying.   

Thomas and Mitter are what they are, expecially Mitter and there is value in that.  By "that" I mean the predictability of living within your limits..   I'd be happier if either one was paired with someone a little more fleet of foot, which probably aligns with Gale's thinking of Murrell as a center half (not trying to re-invent the wheel here) but that was a failed experiment and so we've got to work with what we have.  (Thus Galan and LBG in the hole with the full backs afforded some freedom to assist when attacking).

Murrell has looked good along that right touch line, 'arena not so much along the left.  Especially defending.  I'm just waiting for Mitter to tear into him but good one time because you know it's coming.  His ball watching has burned us twice in the last two games but it isn't just that.  That left flank is outright exposed too many times because of 'arena's decisions.  Hope he can get on page with the other 3, sooner rather than later.  He's a good player but it feels like he's being asked to do something new to him  

Guiterrez has the goods, but I not sure he can be anything other than a wing back.  Might be a poor fit given the skill set he'd need to work on this team, at least at this point in his young career.  

Ha!  There it is.  The defender saying if your best qualities aren't defending you may not be right for the job. 

Not even funny how disorganized/ a gong show the team is at the back and on corners/free kicks. Combine that with the lack of creativity in the final third this team will not go anywhere without change. Now we also see a lack of discipline from the captain.. What are we hoping for lol 

Gale is now 5-3-17 as a head coach (U-20 and Valour) in games that count (non-friendly games). That is just not good enough and you see it on the field. Can't defend set pieces, can't finish in the final third, losing discipline. Valour looks like a team who just don't know how to win and that starts with the coach. I'm not saying it's all on him (and I love him off the field) but I don't know how long this can continue. It's also in the way he built the team. We have 3 players who can play CB (Now two with Murrell's suspension), our central mid's are 5"7 and shorter and for the longest time we were looking to play through balls to a player (Hoyle) who was meant to play with his back to the net. I understand we've had injuries but a team like PFC have had just as many if not more WITH a younger team and have come up with better results. 

8 hours ago, Ngravs said:

Gale is now 5-3-17 as a head coach (U-20 and Valour) in games that count (non-friendly games). That is just not good enough and you see it on the field. Can't defend set pieces, can't finish in the final third, losing discipline. Valour looks like a team who just don't know how to win and that starts with the coach. I'm not saying it's all on him (and I love him off the field) but I don't know how long this can continue. It's also in the way he built the team. We have 3 players who can play CB (Now two with Murrell's suspension), our central mid's are 5"7 and shorter and for the longest time we were looking to play through balls to a player (Hoyle) who was meant to play with his back to the net. I understand we've had injuries but a team like PFC have had just as many if not more WITH a younger team and have come up with better results. 

Valour, CANADA'S TEAM!!

Column, not reporting, about Valour. Maybe the first that I've seen since the season started.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/soccer/captains-abusive-tantrum-many-things-valour-not-among-them-523913661.html

Not sure I agree with everything written, but fine. And despite the fact that it doesn't paint a pretty picture of the club, we may still be in the "any publicity is good publicity" days. I'm certain when it comes to selling tickets that Winnipeggers not knowing about the team is a far bigger obstacle than people having a negative opinion of the team.

Edited by jonovision

Still think there is a TON of upside to the club.  At least as far as getting bodys into the 'stand.  Marketing has gone from non-existent to scatter-shot and on the cheap at best.  But it is improving and I think they're still trying to find their market as well.  But the off-field oganization can be their own worst enemy sometimes. 

I guess, in that way, they're mirroring the on-field organization.  (That's gallows humour by the way.  Might not be immediately obvious when written out rather than spoken).     

I run into differnt people at every match but between the wee elf and myself we can't count the number of people who we used to play with who "keep meaning to get out" to a match or two (She's on social media). 

But I don't know.  Reading about a winning side might encourage the dawdlers to come out.  Reading about Gale losing the locker room maybe not so much.      

2 minutes ago, Lofty said:

^ That does nothing to change my opinion of the Winnipeg Free Press as a rag. Fortunately I can only read the first paragraph as I'm not registered.

The way these sensation seeking alleged journalists try to make a mountain out of a mole hill is appalling. While Murrell's performances have been less than stellar IMHO (although much improved at full back), his conduct up until now has been exemplary. And I have no doubt it will be in the future.

Whatever happened to forgiveness? He got emotional and screwed up, nobody died. He will be deservedly suspended, likely for 5 or 6 matches, then we will all put it behind us.

I think a few people might even be thinking "a Valour player looking like he cares, at least". And I might even be one of them.

In fairness I don't think its a 'mole hill'. He laid hands on an official. Ok so that wasn't too crazy its not like he hit him or shoved him.  However he went over to that table and really booted it when there were totally innocent by standards who should never be in the line of danger. The way he kicked the table was very dangerous and it was lucky no one in the area was hurt.

You can not have that kind of behavior in any league under any circumstance. To me he has to be suspended for the rest of the year. I don't really see any other way to move on it.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

^ That does nothing to change my opinion of the Winnipeg Free Press as a rag. Fortunately I can only read the first paragraph as I'm not registered.

The way these sensation seeking alleged journalists try to make a mountain out of a mole hill is appalling. While Murrell's performances have been less than stellar IMHO (although much improved at full back), his conduct up until now has been exemplary. And I have no doubt it will be in the future.

Whatever happened to forgiveness? He got emotional and screwed up, nobody died. He will be deservedly suspended, likely for 5 or 6 matches, then we will all put it behind us.

I think a few people might even be thinking "a Valour player looking like he cares, at least". And I might even be one of them.

Well... he did get a yellow in the previous match for screaming in the face of the referee's assistant. Otherwise I largely agree.

Edited by jonovision

20 hours ago, jonovision said:

Well... he did get a yellow in the previous match for screaming in the face of the referee's assistant. Otherwise I largely agree.

There was also an over the top kerfuffle back in May when we played Forge.  I seem to recall a fight over the ball on the sideline, that resulted in what looked like a headlock by Murell to a Forge player (maybe Kadell Thomas?).   

17 hours ago, MrsC said:

There was also an over the top kerfuffle back in May when we played Forge.  I seem to recall a fight over the ball on the sideline, that resulted in what looked like a headlock by Murell to a Forge player (maybe Kadell Thomas?).   

I wonder if Murell will be moved after this season is over?

I also wonder if the locker room is already having troubles - Hoyle's weird usage, Murrell's antics, blow up by Louis Béland-Goyette, and so on. 

4 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I wonder if Murell will be moved after this season is over?

I also wonder if the locker room is already having troubles - Hoyle's weird usage, Murrell's antics, blow up by Louis Béland-Goyette, and so on. 

I missed the LBG blowup.  When was that??  

On 8/7/2019 at 1:05 PM, Lofty said:

Murrell gets a 3 game ban for HFX-gate and steps down as Captain:

https://canpl.ca/article/valours-murrell-apologizes-for-hfx-lash-out-steps-down-as-captain

The article does not say whether that includes any extra games for the table kick. I'm a little surprised they haven't made it clear that he got extra games for the afters because the league should surely be actively discouraging that kind of outburst. And I'd have thought that pushing the ref would have been 3 games all on its own.

I'm getting more and more frustrated by the CPL's lack of transparency. Does anyone have a table I can kick?! 😁

The article does say that the 3 games is for the referee incident and that "Murrell received a 3-match ban for his red card, as is standard by Canada Soccer’s disciplinary proceedings. Further action could be taken by Canada Soccer if deemed appropriate by their disciplinary committee."

I could see another 3 games.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM