Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

2 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I was using transfermarkt's listings although with all the various permutations of tactics the positions might not be.

Yeah, I take the transfermarkt stuff with a pinch of salt. I'm sure they don't spend much time verifying their thoughts on the many thousands of players they list. I look for other sources and articles to try to find out more about players I haven't seen much.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Hoyle released.

He looked great for his first 50 minutes in a Valour uniform but was ineffective since. It seems like a niggling injury or general lack of fitness were an issue, but this is still surprising for someone who was their first (or one of?) signing.

Also suggests to me more moves are coming as they now have an extra roster spot.

https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-release-forward-stephen-hoyle

Finally come to terms with Forlan?

Edited by toontownman

Can't all be blamed on Hoyle, looking at him play (like someone mentioned earlier) he was primarily looking for through balls whic CLEARLY is not his best attribute. I would also always see him running everywhere on the pitch like a midfield. I'm not confident with Gale's tactics at all but hopefully we can find a striker that fits are style of play. Fergusson is another one who I find doesn't fit, we are good at bringing it up the field with pace and then once we get to the attacking third we freeze. I think we need to push the pace with our wing players. 

I would like to see Mark Anthony Gonzalez get a shot, he was with SKC's USL team and with Reno last year but didn't stick. I think he could fit our style of play a little better. 

I remember early on in the season, in one of Gale's press conferences, he made a comment about certain players sitting out if they weren't going to play in the system they were being asked to play.  I can't remember if he specifically said it was Hoyle, or if I just assumed it was, but Hoyle definitely sat out that week, and that comment stuck with me as Hoyle continued to see limited playing time.  If there wasn't a good fit, it's best we moved on.

3 hours ago, Ngravs said:

Can't all be blamed on Hoyle, looking at him play (like someone mentioned earlier) he was primarily looking for through balls whic CLEARLY is not his best attribute. I would also always see him running everywhere on the pitch like a midfield. I'm not confident with Gale's tactics at all but hopefully we can find a striker that fits are style of play. Fergusson is another one who I find doesn't fit, we are good at bringing it up the field with pace and then once we get to the attacking third we freeze. I think we need to push the pace with our wing players.

For me, this is part of the mystery. When you play a possession based game, which Valour started with for the first half dozen matches or more, you break defences down with good movement off the ball and clever passes. And it seems as though that is the type of game that would suit Hoyle, yet he got dropped.

It was only recently that Valour switched to a more direct style where your forwards must use speed to try and get behind the defence, and clearly that was not going to play to Hoyle's strong suit.

So I would be very interested to know what he was doing wrong earlier in the season.

Regardless, I'm sure this frees up a fair bit of cap space so that we can bring in someone good to replace him.

I was skeptical at the time these sorts of signings were being announced that players like Hoyle and Ferguson would have anything to offer that would be a big step up from what the best local PDL and MMSL players in Winnipeg could do if given the opportunity. There is plenty of reasonably high quality amateur soccer in Canada that gets treated as "beer league" by most people when it's really something a lot better than that.

Posted (edited)

What is Valour's best line up? You may choose any formation and assume everyone other than Golubar is healthy. I'm going with a 4-2-3-1.

------------------------  Janssens  -----------------------
Gutierrez   Thomas   Mitter   Arguiñarena
------------  Ohin  -----------  Beland-Goyette  ---
Petrasso ------  Sacramento  --------  Bustos
-------------------------  Attardo  -------------------------

I know I've left out Musse. Some may prefer him to Attardo up front but I think we need Attardo's aerial ability in the box.

I also know this is a somewhat defensive formation. For a more attacking look I'm afraid Ohin must drop to the bench to accommodate a 4-4-2 with Musse joining Attardo up front, but  I see the 4-2-3-1 as being better. 4-3-3 is also a thought provoking option.

Close call between Farago and Janssens but I think the youngster has been slightly better.

@Ngravs, @T_Bison, @Bison44, @johnyb, @jonovision, @MrsC, @Winnipeg Fury (and everyone else) let's see what you've got!

Edited by Lofty

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

What is Valour's best line up? You may choose any formation and assume everyone other than Golubar is healthy. I'm going with a 4-2-3-1.

I know I've left out Musse. Some may prefer him to Attardo up front but I think we need Attardo's aerial ability in the box.

I also know this is a somewhat defensive formation. For a more attacking look I'm afraid Ohin must drop to the bench to accommodate a 4-4-2 with Musse joining Attardo up front, but  I see the 4-2-3-1 as being better. 4-3-3 is also a thought provoking option.

Close call between Farago and Janssens but I think the youngster has been slightly better.

@Ngravs, @T_Bison, @Bison44, @johnyb, @jonovision, @MrsC, @Winnipeg Fury (and everyone else) let's see what you've got!

I'm not great with tactics, so I don't have much to add.  I like your line up, but I'd swap out Janssens and put Farago in.  I just think he has a better ability to command the back line.  

19 hours ago, Lofty said:

I've always preferred a 4-4-2 but considering the amount of Midfielders we have and a lack of Forwards this seems to play to our strengths. I use the term strengths loosely. Tough choice in goal but I'm leaning towards Farago.

It feels like so long since their last game (and 5 days still until their next!) that I had to look up the roster to make sure I haven't forgotten anyone.

I like the 3-5-2 for what it allows the team to do with Gutierrez who, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, I still believe is a really good player. The unfortunate side of the 3-5-2 is I think that means Murrell has to play.

Attardo-Bustos (in a withdrawn/free role)

Arguinarena-Sacramento-LBG-Gutierrez-Petrasso

Murrell-Mitter-Thomas

Janssens

Toughest calls for me are in goal, and who sits between the Ohin and Sacramento, and since they play different roles, that messes with the midfield configuration a bit. Sacramento and Gutierrez playing in a more advanced role than Beland-Goyette. Kind of crazy that we've all conceded that our best striker for now is a kid who just finished high school, but it is what it is.

I do suspect, @Lofty, that Gale's lineup will more closely resemble yours than mine, although he seems less favourably disposed to Sacramento than you are.

Can this lineup score more than 1 goal over 90 minutes?

On the Valour goalkeeper question:

I feel as though Farago has had plenty of opportunities to make the big save that changes the match but has spurned them all (except at Pacific). Often not goals where you would fault him, but nevertheless goals that could have possibly been saved.

Janssens has made some big stops to preserve wins and that is why I slightly favour him, although his handling of crosses is definitely a liability, particularly when your tallest centre back has shown zero ability to command the air in his own box.

It is certainly a close call but either way I am not thrilled with our goalkeeping to date. Just another reason we always seem to be the wrong side of the inch.

If its a tie, I think it should go to the local boy not the import.  Although it wouldnt hurt my feelings if we had a new keeper next year, as much as I like Farago.  

Goals per game and rating per game according to FotMob for the 10 games in the spring season. (Great app Btw)

Farago: York 3 (4.9) HFX 2 (5.2) Forge. 2 (4.9) Cavalry 1 (5.9) Edmonton 2 (5.7) Pacific 1 (7.1) 

AVG GA: 1.83 

AVG Rating: 5.62

Janssens: Pacific 2 (5.7) Forge 2 (5.5)

Edmonton 0 (7.4) HFX 0 (7.5) 

AVG GA: 1 

AVG Rating: 6.53

43 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

Goals per game and rating per game according to FotMob for the 10 games in the spring season. (Great app Btw)

Farago: York 3 (4.9) HFX 2 (5.2) Forge. 2 (4.9) Cavalry 1 (5.9) Edmonton 2 (5.7) Pacific 1 (7.1) 

AVG GA: 1.83 

AVG Rating: 5.62

Janssens: Pacific 2 (5.7) Forge 2 (5.5)

Edmonton 0 (7.4) HFX 0 (7.5) 

AVG GA: 1 

AVG Rating: 6.53

Very interesting stats, thanks!

The biggest thing I draw from them, which matches observation, is that the performance of our keepers has been steadily declining. Simply not good enough.

Question: Do Valour have even one player capable of being an effective wing back?

Here is how I understand the position: A wing back goes up and down the touchline and is the player relied upon to provide the width in the team. Must be able to get all the way forward to put in crosses and all the way back to defend against the opponent's winger.

Required attributes: Speed, so that he can beat opposing full backs and successfully defend speedy opposing wingers. Stamina, because getting up and down that wing all match requires a LOT of running. Good crosser of the ball (attacking) and good tackler (defending).

Main Candidates:

1. Petrasso. I give him the first two for sure and would call his crossing adequate, but he cannot tackle to save his life. NO.

2. Arguiñarena. Speed is decent but not fantastic, stamina unknown, crossing is good and tackling is excellent. MAYBE, if stamina is there, but more speed would be better.

3. Gutierrez Zuñiga. Speed is average, stamina unknown, decent crosser and good tackler. NO big strength that makes him especially suited to wing back.

Any other candidates: with at least one strength for the position and no obvious weakness?

Garcia (maybe), Murrell (almost certainly too slow), Musse (how would he be defensively?), Muenkat (defensively?), Galvis (no obvious strength)?

It seems to me that we simply do not have the players to play with wing backs, as appealing as the idea may be.

I find my thoughts are usually quite out of sync with this author but if you are writing about Valour you deserve some props!

https://www.northernstartingeleven.com/5-things-valour-fc-need-to-figure-out-this-month/

My five:

5. Fill those international squad places. Seeding your squad with superior international talent will be a key catalyst for improvement in your Canadian players.

4. Stop tinkering! Five changes to the starting lineup every week is not helping anyone and is certainly not just down to injuries. We should surely have a good handle on our best eleven by now. Give them a chance.

3. Sign another central defender and work on fixing the creaky and leaky defence that one seriously deluded player called "solid". Creativity may be needed.

2. Sign a GOAL SCORER. A POACHER. Someone who can be relied upon to contribute 10-15 goals per season. Someone who can help Attardo improve. And work out what needs to be done to create more scoring chances.

1. Set pieces! For and against! Effing terrible! It is driving me absolutely nuts.

I know this would be virtually impossible because of logistics but I think it would be neat to host one Valour game at Shaw Park. I think it’s genuinely a cool looking park and although the seating not being ideal for a soccer game the capacity (7 461) is almost perfect. I also think the location would be perfect not far from downtown pubs and central to everyone. I just think it would be an cool experiment if the owners of the two clubs could agree on a single game some time in September. 

I looked and the length would be no problem but I’m sure the width would be an issue as it is for NYCFC.  

Posted (edited)

Seems like a Josip Golubar replacement. I wouldn't have thought midfield is the most pressing need for Valour, but Ryan Brandt says he's an attacking central midfielder which, if he's the type that can create chances, has been sorely lacking since Golubar's injury.

His resume doesn't really impress, but we'll see.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

I hope this transfer proves me wrong but he doesn't have the best resume for a 33 year old. What caliber is the 2nd tier Saudi league, Im hoping its not the same as the CPL.. However I love seeing more names and transfers roll in from overseas it still feels surreal. 

I dont particularly have any confidence in players who regularly changes teams and countries and reading his bio on Wiki that is exactly his career. 

Edited by Ngravs

Well, 33 years young and still chasing the dream.  Have to wonder who scouted this guy, how they scouted this guy and what exactly he's expected to bring that will improve the current roster.  We do seem to have a lot of what I'd suspect are opportunity signings when maybe we should be more focused on a specific type of player/role/function. 

Speaking of 33... I forget, have we started talking about the number of injuries Valour have endured this maiden season and the playing surface at IG Field yet?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Well, 33 years young and still chasing the dream.  Have to wonder who scouted this guy, how they scouted this guy and what exactly he's expected to bring that will improve the current roster.  We do seem to have a lot of what I'd suspect are opportunity signings when maybe we should be more focused on a specific type of player/role/function. 

Speaking of 33... I forget, have we started talking about the number of injuries Valour have endured this maiden season and the playing surface at IG Field yet?

Similar journeyman profile to our other veteran internationals, Mitter and Golubar. 

As for the injuries, the two biggest injuries (Golubar's ACL, Petrasso's lingering hamstring issue) are courtesy of Spruce Meadows and repeated scythings down by the Cavalry players. Mitter's shoulder injury probably didn't have much to do with the pitch either.

Edited by jonovision