Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

I dont particularly have any confidence in players who regularly changes teams and countries and reading his bio on Wiki that is exactly his career. 

Not many more teams than Mitter in nearly twice as much time, but Adam's been OK. 

I suspect that what we'll find in the first few years in this league is that veteran internationals have something to add to most teams, even if their talent level isn't the highest. Just think of Valour's roster where half the guys are in their first season as actual professionals.

Edited by jonovision

Posted (edited)

José Galán:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Galán

https://www.galanjp10.com/info

https://us.soccerway.com/players/jose-antonio-galan-pedrosa/335264/

Unsurprisingly hard to find much on him. In the intro, Galey calls him a holding mid.

This looks to me like a desperation signing. It is the most depressed I have been this season. We need DEFENDERS! We need STRIKERS! And we are signing more midfielders. It is the first moment my confidence in the manager has been shaken. In England, the fans would sing "you don't know what you're doing".

Now resigned to finishing last -- again.

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Gale/Galan presser, when asked why they are signing a midfielder when goal scoring is a clear need, Gale responded rather confidently: "Watch this space".

As for Galan, seems pretty clear that Golubar was a massive part of how Gale imagined his team playing, both in terms of offering some professional experience to a team with very little, and also his particular positional talents. It remains to be seen if Galan is up to the task, but it's obvious this is the role he is being asked to fill. It doesn't speak particularly well of Gale that he couldn't find another way to play and be successful, or to replace at least part of Golubar's production internally, but so it is. Given Mitter's possibly-even-worse professional resume and the fact he hasn't been a total disaster, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt until we've seen Galan play, and especially if an attacking signing is on the way.

(I don't particularly expect any new defenders as they've probably already blown much of the salary budget on Murrell and Thomas).

Edited by jonovision

55 minutes ago, Lofty said:

José Galán:

Unsurprisingly hard to find much on him. In the intro, Galey calls him a holding mid.

This looks to me like a desperation signing. It is the most depressed I have been this season. We need DEFENDERS! We need STRIKERS! And we are signing more midfielders. It is the first moment my confidence in the manager has been shaken. In England, the fans would sing "you don't know what you're doing".

In my mind this is someone who can help out the D more. Not a ton of goals but OK minutes wherever he's played. 

Posted (edited)

If I heard correctly, he mentioned that he knew Adam Mitter from having crossed paths in Asia. I found this a bit curious because, as far as I can tell, they haven't played in any of the same countries (which is kind of amazing considering how many countries each have played in). Maybe there's a support group for guys who don't last more than 6 months at any team.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

José Galán:

I got word that next week we will be signing a "BIG" striker as well as a holding mid/defender.. News to come pretty soon! 

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

I like what I heard here, and I'm willing to give this signing the benefit of the doubt.  Especially considering he indicates a couple of times that more signings are coming.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking Galán. I don't know much about him and have an open mind. I'm sure he will be decent but will he be a superstar? Unlikely. Will he even be better than the plethora of midfielders we already have? I don't know.

My concern is at the squad level. We have some serious deficiencies and this signing does not address any of them. By my count we currently have 2 keepers, 5 defenders (!!!), 12 midfielders (not counting Golubar), and 2 forwards (!!!). If we count Musse as a forward it becomes 2/5/11/3. And EVERYBODY has recognized that our problems are in DEFENCE and ATTACK! What a shocker!

I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Reputations are on the line now. Let the Fall Season begin.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

With Galan and more players rumoured to be signed (?), it will be interesting to see who Valour chop in the new future.

Fingers crossed.

I believe we had 3 open roster spots heading into this window, so we could sign 2 more without losing anyone.  It's my understanding that Golubar doesn't count toward our roster spots since he is out for the season.

Edited by MrsC
typos

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

I guess this confirms that we still have two spots left 

Right.

But do we get salary cap relief for Golubar's wages while he is injured? I was under the impression we don't. Which would make us fine on quantity but limited on quality. Doh!

9 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Right.

But do we get salary cap relief for Golubar's wages while he is injured? I was under the impression we don't. Which would make us fine on quantity but limited on quality. Doh!

I'm pretty sure we don't get salary relief

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Right.

Think a possible way around that is to pay summer window signings a bit extra in year two through a guaranteed multiyear contract, which could work well if the cap was raised significantly. Only downside with that is what happens if the cap remains much the same as it was this year and the signing turns into your next Stephen Hoyle, and won't leave by mutual consent.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Just now, jonovision said:

How likely is it that we see Galan tomorrow vs Edmonton? And how great is it that the team finally gets to play again? It feels like it's been forever.

Based on what Galey said during the press conference, it seems very likely that we will see Galán tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, MrsC said:

I'm pretty sure we don't get salary relief

I'm pretty sure Wade Miller has a long history of creative accounting as far as salary caps are concerned.  Not saying he's in any way involved with the Valour board, but corporate culture is corporate culture.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

I'm pretty sure Wade Miller has a long history of creative accounting as far as salary caps are concerned.  Not saying he's in any way involved with the Valour board, but corporate culture is corporate culture.

Wade is the President & CEO of WFC so he's definitely heavily involved.

33 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Wow, looks like a great signing. Local boy Marcelo Paolucci used to play for the Winnipeg Fury. Long shot that they are related but good Omen non the less. 

This looks like a good signing and certainly partially fills one of the holes in our squad. Valued at €200k on transfermarkt (Hoyle was valued at €300k) but I think the value for older forwards is likely to be a bit on the low side.

The squad still has some gaping holes but this helps. I do like the idea of filling the international places with seasoned vets who can help our youngsters to develop.