Sign in to follow this  
Unnamed Trialist

Valour FC Season Thread 2019

2 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I don't think the injury picure is that bad. Golubar has now been replaced and I think Artemenko must have replaced Farago in the 23 otherwise we could not have signed Le Bourhis. Ohin is back from suspension. Even worst case only leaves us without Thomas, Musse, Sacramento, and Garcia (from the 23). Minus suspended Murrell, that should still leave 18 healthy players.

I can't help feeling that recent injuries and suspensions have actually helped us. For my money, we can field our strongest 11 from the remaining 18.

Galvis didn't make the trip either so he must be carrying an injury. (He was in an instagram post from Ohin last night at the Folklorama African pavilion)

19 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I wondered about him. Must have picked up a knock in training. Still leaves us with 17 healthy players and the possibility of Thomas, Musse, Sacramento, Garcia, and even possibly Galvis all being available by then: a full squad.

Muse came out to Nicolinos to watch the game with us today.  He  thinks he will be back in 1- 1.5 weeks

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Due to a stupid NFL pre season game that no one is buying tickets to

The initial schedule was even worse: Sat 17th vs Forge, Thursday 22nd vs Edmonton, Saturday 24th AT Pacific. So 2 games with one day in between which would be a travel day.

Yeah, that part of the schedule was arse but it was the lesser evil.  By a long shot.

At least under the old schedule they were playing away to Pacific with dick-all rest, not in front of the home fans.

I'd really, really, rather not try to get people out to two home fixtures in a 50 hour period.  And I am sure that 2nd date will feature Valour at their very best for a ticket buying public that you want to try to turn into regulars supporters.  Don't think that match on the 19th is going to be the best advert for the team.  But maybe I'm just a cynic.   

By the way, know a few people on the ins with the Bomber big shots and that NFL preseason game is bordering on disaster.  Valour going to get killed at the gate so the Bombers can lose money hosting an NFL preseason game.  Brilliant.     

4 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

By the way, know a few people on the ins with the Bomber big shots and that NFL preseason game is bordering on disaster.  Valour going to get killed at the gate so the Bombers can lose money hosting an NFL preseason game.  Brilliant.     

The financial arrangements for the NFL game have been well publicized. The Bombers are just collecting rent, basically, for use of the stadium. They wouldn't have made off like bandits if the game was a roaring success either. The Raiders and their promoter are on the hook if the game loses money.

And I much prefer this version of the schedule to the original one. You don't. That's fine.

^ I don't think we can fairly refer to what EPL & Championship teams rosters can accomplish if we're talking about fixture congestion and CPL teams.  (Or really anything else for that matter). 

And its not the Holiday Season, it's August in Winnipeg.  To my mind two entirely different marketing landscapes.

It is a one off so hopefully a lot of regulars will grin and bear it, especially if there's a good result against Forge on Saturday.  Edmonton will be here on Monday after visiting Cavalry on Friday so their legs aren't going to be at their best either.  Valour/Bombers had given out 100s of free tickets so that will help with attendance.  But I still think the gate isn't going to be there. 

I'm not suggesting York bad, but probably our season low.      

On 8/8/2019 at 7:58 PM, Lofty said:

It does now! It didn't say that originally.

At least things are relatively clear now: likely more games to come, the only question being how many.

I'm pretty sure the league are monitoring this forum because a few times previously I have posted rather glaring errors/flaws that had been displayed for a while but suddenly got corrected shortly after my post (e.g. Valour website showing the next home match as the one that was played 3 days previously; upcoming VCup matches not showing up in the default list).

Everyone knows that the league and most world governments are monitoring your posts to correct grammar mistakes as well as major pieces of legislation, that is the only explanation for you having to quote yourself on successive threads interminably--you are trying to save Canadian soccer AND the world at the same time.

11 hours ago, Lofty said:

^ I think that is fair. You can't let that kind of thing go without sanction but at the same time it is hardly a hanging offence. Now we can all move on.

Now that you completely backtrack on your entire line of reasoning, "we can all move on." Try to be a bit more serious, you were deriding the whole sequence as non-consequential and now you are saying that 6 games is alright, which means you probably think 7 or even 8 would be close to being fair too?

How about just not posting rubbish mocking the idea that there was anything at all to sanction after the red?

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Strange that we are still awaiting an official announcement. If the additional sanction has already been decided, why the secrecy?

If that tweet is correct, those responsible need to step up their professionalism (by making timely announcements).

More on that:

I suspect you're right and the decision has been made and communicated to the team. I'm not sure why they'd take this long to announce, though.

16 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I actually like the idea of reversing colours for one home match per team per season so that we see everybody's home and away colours. But is that what they are doing?

The answer is yes.

4 hours ago, Lofty said:

Well, at least somebody seems to know the answer. Did the league send you a secret message encrypted with Enigma? Or did I miss the announcement?

Michelle was on the radio the other day saying the new kits (2020) would be in the next few week.  Seems a bit premature but there it is. 

So for those of you who've been wondering why Valour wasn't restocking jerseys in you size for that last, well, month or two, it's not because they don't want your money, it's just that they don't want you buying the obsolute kit. 

You know, because with the new kits coming out who'd want the 2019 kit just because IT'S THE INAUGRAL KIT? 

Sigh.  Call me.  Text me.  Whatever.  I will give advise for free. 

I cant believe you are complaining about the new kits coming out early.  I think after a win you guys dont know what to do with yourselves.  Be happy....the new phone books are here, the new phone books are here!!!  

I find myself bemused because, as I recall, we didn't initially get our kits untill just a few days before the 1st home match.

OK, points for responding to the complaints, but if true, things have gone to the other extreme.

P.S.  By the way, I think we've got a fair chance for result on Saturday.  Not trying to jinx anyone   Just saying I expect an excellent bit of football on the weekend. 

Whatever one's opinion of Thomas and not knowing anything of his injury situation, I think it quite likely that he'll sit at least one of the two upcoming games. Even if he is healthy, 180 minutes in 48 hours would be a big ask for a player coming off an injury.

5 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Dear God, the pre-season match is on *Thursday*. That's plenty of time to switch the lines between the Monday match and then, let alone the Saturday match. 

Again, that's not the issue. The lines on the field weren't the NFL lines. They were the CFL lines from the Bomber game two days ago.